Garmin Varia Radar Support

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
planet_coke

Garmin Varia Radar Support

Post by planet_coke » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi!

Is there any information known (or leaked) about the support for the Garmin Varia Radar system - or the matching ant+ profile?

Best regards
Coke

JohnJ80

Re: Garmin Varia Radar Support

Post by JohnJ80 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:31 am

It’s in their roadmap which is due for a refresh. In discussions I’ve had with them they see the benefit in supporting it. You should add your voice to this to help
Move it up the priority list.

planet_coke

Post by planet_coke » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:51 am

Now included in the released firmware.

Brad

Post by Brad » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:50 pm

DC Rainmaker : Hammerhead Adds Radar Support.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/wee ... reach.html
I ran into a bit of a snag: My unit wouldn’t pair to the radar. I then pulled out a second Varia radar. No dice. Then I pulled out a second Hammerhead Karoo. Still no dice. So I e-mailed Hammerhead and turns out those serial numbers I have were impacted by some hardware issues. No love for them.

... all of that is great. Except that elephant again: There’s no audio on the Hammerhead Karoo. As such, there’s no beeping of approaching vehicles because there is no beeper on the Karoo at all. You must be looking at your head unit at all times in order to get/see notifications cars. Which, I think is kinda a deal breaker. Just like it was a deal breaker for me for a navigation-focused unit.

He's not wrong .. :roll:

the5krunner

Post by the5krunner » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:18 am

I used my Varia with the Karoo over the last weekend....looked pretty, worked well, no audio obviously. I was thinking of getting a £20 handlebar bluetooth speaker and i probably have a helmet somewhere with built in speakers but...

nordog

Post by nordog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:35 pm

I don't like to ride my eBike without the radar now, I find it very useful and works well, not perfect.

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:52 am

I don't get the idea of this radar. I mean, I have ears, right? If traffic is so heavy my sense of sound direction isn't enough, the radar would be alerting all over the place anyway, whereas if I'm on a lonely country road with a vehicle passing by every couple of minutes, I can hear them. Above like 30 km/h, the main source of noise is the wheels, not the motor, so even electric vehicles are easy to hear at relevant speeds. And if you get a radar alert, what's your reaction, turn around every time? Sure, you could have your rear light turn really bright on approach, but with the current to run the radar you could probably run a whole christmas tree of rear lights. I do love my bike gadgets, but this seems like one too many ;)

Simonicusfacilis

Post by Simonicusfacilis » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:33 pm

... well I am tempted by it. I am deaf so it is a bit different.

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:46 am

Simonicusfacilis wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:33 pm
... well I am tempted by it. I am deaf so it is a bit different.
:oops: That's definitely a good reason I totally forgot about. I can imagine that can make some roads much less scary for you.
But then the lack of an audible warning from the Karoo is not a problem anyway ;)