TBT Returns

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Brian

TBT Returns

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 am

After the last software update, my TBT vanished. This is far from a surprise, as HH software updates regularly mess up something that had been working fine. Nevertheless, it remains a major annoyance as the TBT is the main reason I purchased the Karoo.

After mining through the HH support blog, I stumbled upon a potential work-around. After getting into the developer mode (far from intuitive), I was able to clear several navigation caches. On a ride today, the TBT worked perfectly.

Two observations:

1. I'm glad someone at HH figured out how to "repair" functionality a software update removed.
2. I still can't believe HH continues to role out software updates that are apparently poorly tested.

JohnJ80

Re: TBT Returns

Post by JohnJ80 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Yeah, that part of the reset should happen automatically as part of the update.

I sideload both Osmand and Komoot. With either of those as the nav system the Karoo has no peer in the bike computer market for navigation. Using breadcrumbs the Karoo works fine. If you want cues, get a small BT speaker to clip on your jersey or am earbud or bone conduction headphone and use the audio TbT from either of those two apps. Light years ahead of anything from Garmin or anyone else in Nav with far superior map quality.

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks, John.

Regrettably, I have no Android app experience. Even the instructions posted seem to require a decent level of knowledge of sideloading apps. So while I would love to have OsmAnd on my Karoo, a bricked Karoo is even less helpful than a often mediocre, sometimes brilliant Karoo.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 pm

There really is little to no risk since you don't get root access to the Karoo - HH disabled it. That means you can't really damage much (although Karoo can do it's own expert job of doing that all on it's own).

I wrote a guide on how to do it and included some backup and restore scripts. I'm an engineer by training, but I had zero android experience before I did this. So I wrote it down so I could replicate it. With the software listed there, you can actually get an app switcher that makes it almost seem like it's installed and integrated software. The side benefit is that if you pair some level of a BT speaker/Headset/Earbud you can get TbT audio directions. Komoot will give them to you by street name - once it imports a GPX file it will connect it to TbT street names. Osmand will give you TbT in terms of "turn at next street in 100'" kind of guidance which will work fine in more rural areas.

https://github.com/JohnJ80/Karoo-App-Sideloading/wiki

Karoo's mapping is better than what you can get from Garmin and from Wahoo. Using it in breadcrumb mode is pretty good. TbT can be iffy and I think we're seeing that mapbox's router is munging up the dashboard routes and then the karoo unit itself chokes on the corrupted data. So I'm not sure you can have confidence in anything that gets downloaded. If they change something in the backend and it forces a download then a once working route can go bad from what I can tell. This level of integration has benefits but it also is a great opportunity to hose things up - and opportunity that I think neither mapbox or HH has passed by.

That all said, having Osmand or Komoot on board makes the Karoo absolutely world class in nav for a bike computer and there isn't anything that can touch it. Last year, when Karoo was even more unstable, we did a two week tour in Norway. The Karoo decided to get brain dead on the first day but fortunately, I had all the routes loaded into Osmand which worked perfectly on the Karoo as backup for the entire tour. Truthfully? The mapping on Osmand is far superior to that of anything out there especially if you are in an area where topographical information is helpful.

J.