Karoo on the naughty step

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Steve
Site Admin

Karoo on the naughty step

Post by Steve » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:38 pm

My replacement Karoo is in disgrace after today's ride. I had two cold-weather reboots at the start of the ride (and I now realise this is why I noticed my Karoo back at the launcher screen early in a previous ride). It was just above freezing at the start of the ride. And then at the end of the ride (literally a few seconds before I stopped, bizarrely) it ran out of battery and shut down.

I guess I will open a support ticket about the cold weather reboots, but it's not very reassuring that a replacement Karoo has this problem. They're probably all from the same manufacturing batch anyway, and I don't have any confidence that HH actually understand what the cold weather problem is (plenty of others have reported the same).

nordog

Re: Karoo on the naughty step

Post by nordog » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:59 pm

It's cold here in Wiltshire too but my Karoo has not had a problem like that, only the mileage is crap, I walk around Stalag Longleat about 4 miles and it tells me I only walked 0.7 miles in 21:26. They are looking into that problem now.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Yeah, me too. I live in Minnesota and ride my fatbike all winter at temps down to 0F/-18C and have never seen anything to indicate cold impacts battery life or reboots.

That’s not to say it isn’t happening, but I’m thinking of it was any kind of a problem, I’d see it.

I do think there is either a crap battery fuel gauge which could cause shutdowns/reboots. Or they could have a wide variance in batteries. If some of theirs had problems with supplying the Karoo power budget, voltage could drop that would lead to a shutdown/reboot / instability and when it rebooted and the circuit were reset or the current demand dropped so the voltage came back up it may read fine and successfully reboot.

If I were HH, I’d be specifying right quality constraints on battery cells and probably only use One of the top three suppliers because you just can’t afford a problem in power supply.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 am

Given the number of reports of cold weather reboots on the HH forums, I'm sure this is a real problem. My previous two Karoos also didn't have this problem whatsoever in the cold. However, suddenly this new Karoo starts rebooting when it's cold and then doesn't do so as the temperature rises later on the ride (and when the battery is depleting).

I'm sure my final shutdown was the battery gauge problem, yes. But I'm also sure that poor manufacturing tolerances means that some devices are vulnerable to the cold, probably to do with contraction of connections or similar. I was lucky with my first two Karoos and so are some others. But this one isn't so lucky.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Then it’s probably that they used some no-name Chinese battery which will be all over the place in spec compared to if they had spent a little more and used Sanyo, Panasonic or Samung (far and away the best).

See if you can return it for another unit. If it’s variance then maybe you lucknon on the next one.