Boot loop. Cannot use Karoo anymore

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
gadaga

Boot loop. Cannot use Karoo anymore

Post by gadaga » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 am

Hi,

When starting my Karoo (I'm on the last official firmware, not the one of the test group) it starts normally and shows the pin code input screen.

Once I click on the first digit of my code, the screen is blocked. I cannot power down. I have to wait until the Karoo reboots. And then all the same again. So I cannot use my Karoo anymore!!!

Anybody has this? What to do please?

Paul

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Boot loop. Cannot use Karoo anymore

Post by Steve » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:56 am

Do a factory reset via recovery. Instructions for this are at https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... eset-Karoo

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Also good to remember that this is a "users helping users" forum. For serious issues with your Karoo, you are encouraged to contact them directly via whatever means works. They no longer seem to patrol these forums... and rarely did anyway.

gadaga

Post by gadaga » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Steve wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:56 am
Do a factory reset via recovery. Instructions for this are at https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... eset-Karoo
Thanks Steve. I may have to that although that would delete all the android apps I've sideloaded (via adb) no? Will I be able to reload these you think? Or did Hammerhead do something to make this impossible?

Thanks,

Paul

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:55 pm

gadaga wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:06 pm
Thanks Steve. I may have to that although that would delete all the android apps I've sideloaded (via adb) no? Will I be able to reload these you think? Or did Hammerhead do something to make this impossible?
Yes, it will delete everything included sideloaded apps. But you will simply be able to sideload them again, that shouldn't be a problem.

gadaga

Post by gadaga » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 am

Just some feedback after having solved the problem, thanks to some tips here.

I did the réinitialisation as described. When leaving the Karoo without added sideloaded sw all is well.

However, when installing the Nova launcher, the problem reappears: when the keyboard for pin comes up, I can type one or two numbers (out of four) and then the Karoo freezes. No interaction is possible. I have to wait 20 seconds or so and the Karoo reboots. But only to go to the same problem again (and again).

I thought I needed Nova to launch other sideloaded (via adb on a PC) apps. But you don't! I installed EAS (easy app switcher) and other apps (PUREApk, Chrome, komoot, etc). So no more Nova!!!

Now it works flawlessly!!!