ATG Release 1.30.558.3

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
dthempel
Site Admin

ATG Release 1.30.558.3

Post by dthempel » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:08 pm

We've made new battery optimizations for Karoo, which will improve the battery life when in a ride, when paused during a ride, and when Karoo is not in use. This release also includes bug fixes for some issues previously reported by Advanced Testing Group members. As always, we're excited for your feedback on these changes!

What's new in release 1.30.558.3

New features and improvements:
Significant changes have been made to underlying software processes to improve Karoo’s battery life. The coding structure added provides a framework to let us add further battery optimisations as they become identified over time. As of this release, these changes include:
Background activities are now turned off while in a Ride
Background activities when not in a ride are more compliant with Android architecture, allowing for battery preservation
Karoo will now power down after 2 hours when not in a ride if the user has not interacted with the device
After pausing for 5 minutes, the screen will turn off. It will turn back on when resuming the ride or when the power button is pressed by the rider

Bug Fixes:
Fixed an issue that could cause the Offline Map Service to crash
Fixed a bug where Karoo could exit to the launcher from the ride application without command
Fixed an issue where the status could disappear on the Summary page for the white theme display
Resolved an issue where the saving spinner could get stuck while saving once a ride has been completed

Features and Bug Fixes in Progress:
Sensor management changes are underway to make it possible for a rider to indicate which sensors should be favored by Karoo (for example, sensors of the same type, or whether to use GPS or a speed sensor to determine speed)
Improvements to the reliability of syncing with the Dashboard
There is an issue where offline regions may not download after a factory reset, and instead show “...” when offlining. Downloads will resume after an additional reboot
Known Bugs are also kept updated on our forum

reggieb

Re: ATG Release 1.30.558.3

Post by reggieb » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:34 pm

I won't get to really start testing until next week, but I've not had major battery issues. I've always shut it down when not in use, though I do think auto-shutdown is handy...assuming it works correctly. I'll be interested to see if they have bugs where it's triggered during rides if you aren't changing pages or something.

Starting next week, though, my volume will be ramping up for triathlon season. I think I've sorted my device of record issue, where I'll use a Garmin watch, which will give me the added benefit of training status updates - so I'll have a stable point of comparison for the Karoo again since my wife got my Edge. Finally broke down and got a modern multi-sport Garmin.

If they ever sort the data pages, then they'll be nicely complementary devices.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:56 pm

By the way, just got this added in the ATG discussion section:
The release notes for today's ATG update include the following line under the battery improvements sub-section: "Karoo will now power down after 2 hours when not in a ride if the user has not interacted with the device"

This was a miscommunication. We're still refining this addition and expect to have it available for testing in the next release.

Apologies for this mistake in the release notes.
So that feature is on the way, not here yet.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:17 pm

By the way, it appears there is more in progress than what they listed as in-progress, but the other items are much bigger projects, so they're not near-term fixes. I had speculated, and support confirmed, that some of the underlying issues with the Karoo are deeply-rooted and are going to take quite some time to resolve.

GPS dropouts and TBT issues are on that list. TBT is much harder than a lot of people realize. My Garmin Edge 810 literally never had working TBT directions, and that was Garmin. TBT was at one time their bread and butter.

They mentioned that sensor dropout is still an ongoing issue that they are working on. I had a conversation with support about that a while back, speculating that one of 3 conditions must be true. They assured me that one of the three (they have app devs that are very inexperienced with the type of development required to fix the ANT+ issues) was not true. They do have at least a dev or two with deep experience in ANT+

So either those are relatively recent hire(s), they're lying to me, or there are hardware issues.

I hope one of the first two are true, and it's not a hardware issue. Even if it's the inexperienced devs, they've been poking at the issue a long time, and have made real progress. I've been that guy myself. I bit off a very large and complicated project that involved creating a very deep integration in to two software platforms that had literally 0 documentation, and were quite buggy. I spent many sleepless nights pouring over decompiled code to unwind some things. If they have talented devs, they will get there even if they're inexperienced as I was. But it took me a LOT of hours to get everything wired up and working (it is now all wired up and working beautifully).

Or they gave up and made a hire or two, but there will be some lag time, as the more experienced devs potentially do a lot of ground-up work.

Or the final possibility: It's a hardware issue, and we'll never get a fix.

Again, though, this can be quite tricky. Garmin literally owns ANT+, and they've had issues with ANT+ on their own top of the line (well almost top of the line) multisport devices.

Exhibit A:
Changes made from version 4.64 to 4.65:
Fixed issue where ANT sensor data would drop during an activity when connected to a Bluetooth 5.0 smartphone ( ANT/BLE/BT 2.91 software).
Improvements to the Music Player.
Various bug fixes.
Sourced from the Fenix 5 plus Beta firmware update page (https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... p?id=14331)

These are potentially really difficult issues to fix. I feel for them WAY more on those issues than I do things like the garbage layouts. That sort of thing really isn't hard to get right. Just pull a Coros, buy a competitor's product, and copy-paste.

The other baffling thing to me is that they still haven't released dev tools and opened an app store. For goodness sake, there are those of us out here that could write code for features, and they would be able to spend all of their time on stability. I promise you that if they'd done that 6 months ago there would be more features, and the product would potentially be more stable, than it is today.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:28 pm

I rode on Saturday. Really nothing to report. 2+ hours. Battery life was fine. 3 sensors (Power/Cadence from Stages, HR from Wahoo TIKR, and Speed from a Garmin Speed -- which doesn't really work). Didn't see any dropouts or problems but I didn't scroll around much. Quite a bit of traffic and cars, so I was keeping my wits and not screwing around with the screen. I do need to add my new usual route as an official "Route" as I'd like to see if the upcoming elevation works. Given how bad the altimeter is with the drifting of the calibration, I'm not sure how effective it's going to be...