Battery Hotfix to ATG

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
dthempel
Site Admin

Battery Hotfix to ATG

Post by dthempel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Hello ATG Member,

Your Karoo has just received an update to address the increased in-ride battery drain affecting many Karoo users. We want to make this fix available to the general public as soon as possible, so any immediate testing you’re able to do is greatly appreciated.

We believe that battery usage should now be in line with previous releases, but we need your feedback to be sure that the issue is fully resolved. We’ll also be independently monitoring battery drain on all completed ATG rides.

- The Hammerhead Team

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Battery Hotfix to ATG

Post by Steve » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:54 pm

I just received an email saying that the battery drain fix is out now (to everyone).

nordog

Post by nordog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:54 am

I had the message too & uploaded the fix I hope.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:38 am

Looks like battery consumption goes back to the 10-11%/hr rate according to reports now. That doesn’t meet the but rather straddles the spec.

Somewhere around end of August, I was running 6-7% on purely ANT+ on the new stack. Subsequent to that, it went to 15% for me although I never had the off the charts battery draining that some had. I’m thinking that the Karoo might be a little underpowered with respect to battery. Hopefully, they fix that in v2.0 (whenever that is). I’d sure like to get back to those 6-7%/hour numbers.

They should have the benefit of smaller geometries in CPUs to help them with battery savings too. I’m thinking that’s what Garmin did to get the 30 hour number (or whatever number they claim that was pretty high) fodr the 1030. Probably an SOC which was smaller geometry, saved volume on the circuit board, and they used that to up the battery capacity.

At any rate, I think this battery spec is going to be a struggle to get past 10 hours especially if BTLE is involved. Good thing they made the Karoo able to run and be charged at the same time.

J.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:04 am

Looking at the changelog and assuming it's accurate, it seems it's not really a "fix" anyway, just backing out a couple of changes that they'd made, including the big Mapbox upgrade. So HH are going to have a headache trying to figure out a proper fix, i.e. upgrade Mapbox without killing the battery.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:50 am

Back in town and got it all loaded and went for a ride - consumption was more than a little strange.

I'm pretty sure they have the fuel gauge software hosed up. Battery wouldn't charge past 96% and on an hour fatbike ride, it dropped down to 95%. When I went to charge it, got it to 100% but the fuel gauge display pops up every so often showing that it's empty. It often did that when you charged it to 100% and put it back on the charger again still at 100%. So I'd say it's pretty confused about where the battery state really is.

Fuel gauge software is notoriously difficult because of the flat then sudden discharge curve of Li-ion batteries. Since you have to make decisions about shutdown to protect the battery, and since the fuel gauge is your only indicator of when to shut down, if the gauge is off the effect is the same to the user as if the battery had completely discharged even though it hasn't. I think that's probably what's going on.

Usually the way to fix this stuff is to let the battery completely recharge and then charge it up again. That tells the FG the span of the battery capacity. Do that a couple of times and it gets more accurate. Can't ride tomorrow so maybe I'll give that a shot.

J.