Routing issues

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
nnovod

Routing issues

Post by nnovod »

I stopped using my Karoo a while ago because I found its support for routing was both buggy and lacking in features I wanted. I know there have been a number of updates since I left the Karoo fold and was wondering...
- Is there now support for off-line route creation if the needed maps have been downloaded? Can you create a new route mid-ride to go to a specified address if you have neither wifi nor cellular connectivity?
- Does rerouting work well if you're off-line?
- Do TBT directions always show up when you start a route? When I last used the Karoo, in particular for longer routes, TBT directions often failed although the route line would appear on the map.

Thanks.
dbareis

Re: Routing issues

Post by dbareis »

I don't have connectivity at all so my so far limited experience says everything's fine except I'm unsure what "can you create a new route mid-ride to go to a specified address if you have neither wifi nor cellular connectivity?" means, is that as a waypoint or a new destination. You can definitely choose a new destination, I'm unsure about a waypoint.
nnovod

Post by nnovod »

I'm asking if there's off-line routing. For example, if I have no connectivity, can I create a new route, starting at my current location, and then follow it with TBT directions. It used to be that you couldn't do that.

Thanks.
dbareis

Post by dbareis »

As I said it works
nnovod

Post by nnovod »

I got a reply from HH. No, it doesn't work...

If you have the route loaded on the Karoo and the offline maps available, you would not need the internet connection for navigation. However, if you wish to do navigation by creating a route on the Karoo (offline route creation) or search by address then it's not added right now as we are working on it currently.
ANW

Post by ANW »

You can route to any location on the map within 100 miles of yourself offline. You can also add POIs on the dashboard and navigate to them offline. With that navigation, you get turn by turn directions if the maps are downloaded.
However, you still cannot create a route with multiple waypoints or navigate to a specific address or place offline.
dbareis

Post by dbareis »

nnovod wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:03 pm I got a reply from HH. No, it doesn't work...

However, if you wish to do navigation by creating a route on the Karoo (offline route creation) or search by address then it's not added right now as we are working on it currently.
It depends on whether by "create a route' you mean you want to navigate to a destination which it can do, or have complex route creation capabilities which don't exist.
nnovod

Post by nnovod »

Thanks. Sounds like it's sort of there. How do you pick the destination? Either use the touch screen to tap on the map or pick a preset POI?
ANW

Post by ANW »

You can long press on the touch screen or tap a preset POI (or your home) on the map.