Are these instructions up to date

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
GarethSargeant

Are these instructions up to date

Post by GarethSargeant » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:49 am

I bought another Hammerhead during the black Friday sale .My first one performs flawlessly but has a lot of cosmetic damage due to too many bracket foot disasters.

Having two Karoo has made me interested in testing out app side loading since I'm not too worried about bricking the old one.

I have experience with rooting, flashing, side loading android devices.

I remember there was a software update that mentioned 3rd party apps. It helped them but wasn't officially supported or something.

My question is basically did that update obsolete the instructions posted here in these forums? Did they create a different method that isn't documented in these forums (since a lot of posts are old)?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

itsacarr

Re: Are these instructions up to date

Post by itsacarr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Curious about this as well as I am also about to dive in to figure out how to best make use of the Karoo.

dbareis

Post by dbareis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:27 pm

I've only just started using my device but I have installed an app, I don't know about "these instructions" but I followed some old ones which worked well enough. No rooting required.

I installed a screen capture (image or video) app and that works well enough EXCEPT that it's notification doesn't seem to get displayed. I don't know if something is stopping it from displaying notifications but so far it appears that apps that rely on notifications may not work (I will be trying another one when I get some time).

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:54 am

I could be wrong because I haven't installed 3rd party apps on my Karoo, but I think the only change is that those apps are now visible via the stock Karoo launcher. I assume that this means there's less need for 3rd party launchers now. The way to install apps should still be the same.

dbareis

Post by dbareis » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Steve wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:54 am
I think the only change is that those apps are now visible via the stock Karoo launcher. I assume that this means there's less need for 3rd party launchers now.
I can confirm that there is no need for a 3rd party launcher although it would probably be better to have one. The icons appear in a long row at the end.

So far I have tried 2 apps that should have created notifications and no notifications appear so any apps that need notifications won't work.