which features in New Software Release (Aug/Sept 2019)

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Dobbel

which features in New Software Release (Aug/Sept 2019)

Post by Dobbel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi Steve, Dave

is there any sneakpeek of the new features that are currently packaged in the new Karoo Software Release that is currently being tested by the ATG?

If not functional, than I hope it will be on the cosmetic side, we can be provided with more flexibility on looks of the (data) Profiles. This e.g. to make better use of the graphical features.

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Alexander

JohnJ80

Re: which features in New Software Release (Aug/Sept 2019)

Post by JohnJ80 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Not sure exactly what the general release is so far but I think the list is something like this:

- improves detail in maps.
- chevrons to indicate direction on the bread crumb line ala Wahoo. Very nice if you have a route that crosses itself or an out and back.
- better battery gauge performance with more linear gauge response. In general has made consumption appear to go up but it’s the gauge handling less than 30% capacity remaining more accurately.
- improves battery performance.
- under the hood performance improvements for more responsive operation and removing sources of app crashes.

I think with the latest ATG release we might be at a point where we can call Nav good for now and pivot hard to feature additions. My recommendation there would be to do a dashboard based display designer, Varia Radar support, electronic drivetrains support and Audio TbT.

Over the winter I’d add curated App Store and support for some training apps through the App Store. That would be a pretty solid feature set, and some features that Garmin and Wahoo will be unable to duplicate with their existing hardware and software architectures without a massive effort.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Actually delivering on their most recent (now deleted from the website) roadmap would be nice. Or the original roadmap. I won't hold my breath though.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 pm

That roadmap is so obsolete it is hardly recognizable. They promised an update two months ago but haven’t made good on that promise.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:28 pm

JohnJ80 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 pm
That roadmap is so obsolete it is hardly recognizable. They promised an update two months ago but haven’t made good on that promise.
Along with most of the other undelivered-upon promises. Everyone's "list" of "must haves" is also different. Most on your list, other than opening an app store, are useless to me. Electronic drivetrains still make up a small percent of all bikes sold and the sliver of that intersecting with Karoo users is probably even slimmer. Those with the funds to buy (and interest in) Varia products are even slimmer. An app store, properly done, would solve a myriad of issues...

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 am

dthempel wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:28 pm
JohnJ80 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 pm
Along with most of the other undelivered-upon promises. Everyone's "list" of "must haves" is also different. Most on your list, other than opening an app store, are useless to me. Electronic drivetrains still make up a small percent of all bikes sold and the sliver of that intersecting with Karoo users is probably even slimmer. Those with the funds to buy (and interest in) Varia products are even slimmer. An app store, properly done, would solve a myriad of issues...
The lack of an app store is so frustrating to me. There are a ton of missing features, you know how they could get them added more quickky? A freaking app store. They could have spent the last couple years working on stability of the core platform while allowing third parties to build out features. If they had one, there would be more features, and it would be more stable, I'd bet. Instead they STILL sit on their hands in that regard. There must be a way to develop apps for it, they're doing it. Who cares if the dev tools are unpolished? Just freaking publish them.

I gave up and moved on to an Edge 530, it's been rock solid.