Sideloaded Apps Not Updating

Ask for help, find useful guides, or help others out with their issues.
Brian

Sideloaded Apps Not Updating

Post by Brian » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Until recently, all of my sideloaded apps have updated flawlessly. But last week I open APKPure and noticed several available updates. The APKPure update worked great, leaving Komoot and Dropbox updates. When I press the "UPDATE" button for Komoot, it turns to a % download button and it shows several percentages until it gets to 100%. At that point it turns back into the "UPDATE" button again. Upon pressing, it goes to the Komoot install window. When I press the "INSTALL" button, it shows a 1-100 extraction window that successfully extracts to 100, before returning to the "INSTALL" window. Upon repressing the "INSTALL" button, I get an "Installation Failed" error.

Komoot and Dropbox are the only apps not updating. They work just fine at their current versions, so I really have no issues other than the inability to update app to its newest version.

Anyone else come across this and have a solution? Thanks.

Brian

dabrown16

Re: Sideloaded Apps Not Updating

Post by dabrown16 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:02 am

Same problem (komoot) - no solution.

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:37 am

Sounds like an APKpure problem. I just updated Osmand via F-Droid this morning, so I don't think HH changed anything about the OS that would block such updates. What with the launcher showing sideloaded apps for a few months now they seem to have turned rather more sideloader-friendly.

Eltonjc

Post by Eltonjc » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 am

In short Karoo uses Marshmallow OS so any developed .APK files designed above 6 will likely not work (unless Karoo update the OS!)
In the APK Pure web page you can select to the right of the download button a 'Versions' button.
Click on this and you can select the highest OS version that will work.
I hope this helps many who are struggling.
You will be surprised what apps actually do work with the Karoo!
Attachments
5.PNG
5.PNG (56.6 KiB) Viewed 217 times
4.PNG
4.PNG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 217 times
3.PNG
3.PNG (85.04 KiB) Viewed 217 times

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:51 am

This is perfect and EXACTLY what is happening. The minute an app goes to XAPK, the Karoo operating system can't handle it. Once I rolled back Komoot to the last APK version, it loaded instantly.

HUGE thanks to you for helping out on this. It's things like this that make this forum so valuable.

dbareis

Post by dbareis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:05 am

Someone with the problem should probably create a ticket and get the issue on the developer's radar.

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 pm

I'm assuming this is a Hammerhead problem and not an app problem?

dbareis

Post by dbareis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Hammerhead should upgrade to a newer version of Android or less and less 3rd party apps will work as time goes on.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 am

I think there's zero chance of an upgrade on the existing unit (when it first came out it was already an old OS and some of us asked HH what on earth they were thinking). Maybe the next unit (no news on one, but they're bound to.be working on it) will come out on Nougat/Oreo? *sigh*