Can't add ANT+ sensors

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Steve
Site Admin

Can't add ANT+ sensors

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:20 pm

My Karoo got really messed up when I started fiddling with the "available offline" toggles, as suggested by HH to try and workaround the TBT problems (components crashing, non-responsive even if I left it for ages, etc).

So I did a factory reset, which I usually do when things start going weird (which is not a rare occurrence on Karoo), and got all my routes back ok and behaving normally. But then I went to add back my sensors (which get cleared in a factory reset), and that's where the trouble started.

I can't add any ANT+ sensors whatsoever. I've done a second factory reset (as suggested by HH support) and I've got exactly the same problem. When I click "Add" to try and add a new sensor, with ANT+ on (and Bluetooth off, because all my sensors are ANT+ only), it seems to be searching for sensors but never finds anyway (even when I check that I have woken up my sensors). It just sits there forever not finding sensors. And if I switch on BT while doing this, interestingly it comes up with the message "Error connecting to ANT_ONLY", which sounds suspicious.

I can't believe this is my hardware (and by the way, all three sensors are still fine on my Garmin) since my sensors were ok with my Karoo before the factory reset. This is the first time I've tried adding sensors for quite a long time. All three of my sensors are Garmin ANT+ sensors (speed/distance, cadence, heart rate).

I hope it's something simple, like ANT+ adding being broken on the latest release (1.33.582.3). Anyone else tried adding ANT+ sensors recently? I hesitate to ask anyone to try specifically, just in case it really is broken and you can't get your sensor back in either.

dthempel
Site Admin

Re: Can't add ANT+ sensors

Post by dthempel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm picking up my bike tonight after a service. If I can grab the Karoo before heading there, I'll see if someone has a device that I can try to at least search for...

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:34 pm

I’d try a hard reset which is similar, but more rigorous, than a factory reset. There are some nomenclature issues with the name of the reset. I’m calling a factory reset the one in the settings menu. A hard reset is the one where memory is scrubbed and is in this link although they also call that a factory reset.

https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... eset-Karoo

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:06 pm

JohnJ80 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:34 pm
I’d try a hard reset which is similar, but more rigorous, than a factory reset. There are some nomenclature issues with the name of the reset. I’m calling a factory reset the one in the settings menu. A hard reset is the one where memory is scrubbed and is in this link although they also call that a factory reset.

https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... eset-Karoo
I'd forgotten about that one. Thanks, I'll give that a try when I next get a chance (probably tomorrow), to see if it makes any difference.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 pm

Hope it works. A couple of times it’s worked for me when the settings reset didn’t. I don’t think they do a very good job of managing their own memory and scrubbing it sort of forces that cleanup.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:33 pm

HH asked me to capture a bug report, which I did after reproducing the ANT_ONLY error message. They've asked me to do the reset via recovery as well, and I'm just in the process of setting up again after that now. Let's see if there's any difference. It does seem that the recovery reset is more thorough, so I'm hopeful.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Sorry. I was late getting out of work and wasn't able to stop at home to grab the Karoo before heading to the bike shop. Unfortunate, as one of the shop employees was just setting up a Garmin and was "finding" all kinds of sensors around the shop. Go figure. :) Hope it works for you.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 pm

That's a big fat nope from me - did the reset from recovery and it still can't find any sensors. Reported that back to HH.

Thanks anyway, Doug.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Looks like a hardware failure then.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Steve wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 pm
That's a big fat nope from me - did the reset from recovery and it still can't find any sensors. Reported that back to HH.

Thanks anyway, Doug.
I've also had pretty major ANT+ issues in this release. Though I asked, and they assure me that they can't reproduce my issues, and that the ANT+ stack wasn't touched. I wonder if there are some QC issues with their ANT+ chip, or if they're just cheap and starting to fail. Obviously an n of 2 isn't that high, but they have had quite a few persistent ANT+ issues.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:20 pm

I can add BT sensors fine, but not ANT+. I guess we're heading towards a hardware replacement.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Yep. Sounds like the radio or antenna for ant+ is hosed.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:29 pm

JohnJ80 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 pm
Yep. Sounds like the radio or antenna for ant+ is hosed.
I was wondering if it was the antenna. But I think that ANT+ and BT both use the same frequency (2.4GHz). So I don't know for sure but I would think they'd both use the same antenna, and my BT seems to be working. So perhaps it's some ANT+ circuitry that has died. Seems odd that this coincided with me doing a factory reset, but perhaps it's just that, an odd coincidence.

Waiting for HH to get back to me early next week. I can still use my Karoo for the mapping at least, since the GPS still works.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:39 pm

Received my replacement Karoo from Hammerhead today, and just starting to get it set back up again.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Interestingly, my replacement Karoo has come with the new bracket foot already attached (previously replacements would come with the original foot, and a replacement foot that needed swapping onto the Karoo). It still came with the very old software though, so its' not like anything else has changed on the unit.

bigfloor

Post by bigfloor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 pm

@Steve: And ? Are your troubles with ANT+ over now ? My KAROO is showing some strange ANT+ behavior as well, it finds the sensors, shows them as connected but appears to NOT use them (Wahoo Spd/CAD) until I remove and re-add them

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 am

bigfloor wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 pm
@Steve: And ? Are your troubles with ANT+ over now ? My KAROO is showing some strange ANT+ behavior as well, it finds the sensors, shows them as connected but appears to NOT use them (Wahoo Spd/CAD) until I remove and re-add them
Yes, a replacement Karoo now picks up my ANT+ sensors. Does yours keep doing what you describe, or was that a one-off?

bigfloor

Post by bigfloor » Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi Steve,

Mine keeps acting erratic. Today I had my GPS off, Karoo found my HR (ANT+), but not the SPD/CAD until I disabled and enabled it again.
And those same sensors (alle Wahoo) work just fine with my Garmin Edge 820

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu May 02, 2019 7:09 am

bigfloor wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm
Mine keeps acting erratic. Today I had my GPS off, Karoo found my HR (ANT+), but not the SPD/CAD until I disabled and enabled it again.
And those same sensors (alle Wahoo) work just fine with my Garmin Edge 820
I would raise a support ticket with HH on this so they can look into this in detail for you. Email them at support@hammerhead.io

bigfloor

Post by bigfloor » Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi Steve,

Did that, and then ........ complete silence after requesting screenshots (which I gave them)