ATG Release 1.33.582.3

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
reggieb

ATG Release 1.33.582.3

Post by reggieb » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Not looking to step on toes, I know that this is normally handled by @dthempel, but I think this is the longest that I've had the update email without seeing him post, and there is some stuff I'm kind of excited about in this one.

What's new in release 1.33.582.3
New features and improvements:
Sensor precedence rules have been implemented, allowing riders to order sensors in the sensors application by dragging and dropping. Sensors higher in the list have priority over sensors lower in the list. If a higher priority sensor is not available for any reason, Karoo falls back to the sensor in the list that can fill the purpose
The Karoo GPS is added to the sensor list, enabling users to choose GPS-based speed/distance over a speed sensor if desired
The predictive elevation graph was updated to better display routes with relatively flat sections
A one-mile view has been added to the predictive elevation graph. This can be used by long-pressing the left-side hardware buttons or by using an on-screen pinch gesture
Changing an activity name on Karoo updates that name on both Strava and the Karoo activity list
The start-up sequence of applications in Karoo is now properly dependent on system-ready indications from Android

Bug Fixes:
A variety of reported sensor-related defects were checked against the new user-managed precedence solution and found to be working. See updated feature above
A reported issue with GPS flakiness was identified and fixed. Internal testing now shows GPS being reliable throughout long rides
An issue was identified and resolved which was causing rides to be ended abruptly, returning the rider to the launcher
An issue was fixed where a creating a route mid-ride would result in start location originating from the original ride start rather than the current location
Fixed a problem where, after a factory reset, if the user took all the skip options, the launcher would not load without a second reboot
Fixed an issue with the prior release where the recently updated Karoo battery management didn’t Karoo didn’t power down Karoo after 2 hours of inactivity when not in a ride

Nothing that might seem outwardly exciting, except that some of it was my direct feedback (well, in spirit - I haven't gotten to see the implementation yet, but I have a ride in a couple hours, so...). This is in regards to the upcoming elevation profile for those of us in pretty flat areas. I'm interested to see how it's going to look.

dthempel
Site Admin

Re: ATG Release 1.33.582.3

Post by dthempel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:00 pm

I posted late which would explain my odd "note" thinking they had duplicated version numbers. I usually post pretty quickly after getting the email, but I wonder if they go out in waves? No toes were injured...

jhnbssll

Post by jhnbssll » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Looks like a good one, I'm riding on it for the first time tomorrow morning 8-) Fortunately my karoo retained its maps and routes so no downloading for me :mrgreen:

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Now that it's been released to everyone, I installed it. On the restart my launcher hung. Not the best start. Ran out of time to see if it was ok after a further reboot (I had to leave for work).

jmarquez

Post by jmarquez » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 pm

I am having problems getting TBT to work and for the upcoming elevation graph to populate after starting a ride with a route, discarding the ride, then starting a new route (I load a route, then decided I wanted a different one).

When I load a different route, I get no TBT (no red banner) and the upcoming elevation graph is now empty.

The only way to solve this is to do a reboot. After a reboot, I can load that second route that I wanted and I then finally get TBT and the upcoming elevation graph. Clearing the HX Navigation memory does not solve this issue.

In other words, one route per reboot.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 pm

I have had major issues with my power meter on this release, and my posts about it aren't showing up in the ATG discussion. I started a thread, and I thought I was crazy, because it wasn't in the list. So I added a comment to the main discussion thread about the release, and it's sitting in a status of "Pending approval"

Good times. Maybe I was too negative. :lol:

But my dang power meter basically stopped working on this release.

EDIT: For the record, I don't think they're actively silencing me. That was a joke. Don't want to get anyone riled up.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:24 pm

I can't get mine to boot up after the update. It sits there with the yellow circle pulsating and does nothing. Let's see if leaving it for some time helps.

Edit - yes, leaving it for a few minutes saw it eventually finish the boot and start working.

Paulh

Post by Paulh » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am

I've downloaded the latest and on startup its now just coming up with the Hammerhead logo for about 20 seconds then disapears for about 10 seconds then reappears and so on, been doing that for about an hour or so

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Steve wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:24 pm
I can't get mine to boot up after the update. It sits there with the yellow circle pulsating and does nothing. Let's see if leaving it for some time helps.

Edit - yes, leaving it for a few minutes saw it eventually finish the boot and start working.
It seems to take a while to "wake up". I'm sure it's doing stuff in the background. I've mentioned that it would be nice to have some sort of process monitor where we could see. Given the number of routes you've said you have, that's likely to be your next issue. When the Karoo is doing the re-download of maps or routes in the background it seems to become nearly unresponsive. Problem now is that with the auto-shutdown behavior, you can't let it sit and just do it's thing if that thing takes longer than 2 hours...

I don't have enough routes and maps for this to be a problem. I guess I'm a bad test case. :)

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 am

Mine certainly took a long time to sort itself out after the update. Yes, I imagine it's connected with me having a rather large number of routes on my Karoo. It should really prioritise its processes a lot better so that either it doesn't lock up the rest of the system, or instead puts up a "please wait" notice or similar. Wouldn't be hard - well,.not hard for a software team that knew what they were doing.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Something's not quite right with the maps/routes process (big shock). I need to type up a "bug" report to HH but my device has become unuable or less-than-useful 3 times since the latest version was released to the ATG:

1. Rode a route two weeks ago Friday that was "unavaiable" (Queued) the following day with the same software version.
2. Karoo nearly spit the bit mid-ride on that Saturday as I think I came into WiFi range and it started downloading or updating something mid-ride (even with WiFi explicitly turned off?)
3. Had no maps again on my ride on Saturday. Was specifically going to test the "look ahead" elevation and a mid-ride route to home over cellular.
4. Upon getting home, the Karoo was downloading maps *again* (for the third time) since the last update.

Would like some explanation as to when the map download can/does happen and possibly if there's a way to make this a user option. "Yes" download them now. "No" please wait until later. Like a Windows update...? :P

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:40 pm

Reading a post on the HH forums reminded me that my TBT didn't work with this release, and others are seeing this too.

My map was displaying correctly, with the red line for the route. But the red box at the bottom of my screen for TBT was just solid red - i.e. no TBT instructions (and no message to say TBT not available).

That whole map download thing is a nightmare. HH have alluded to making some changes there, but what it really needs is a total redesign, a back-to-the-drawing-board job, and I doubt that HH have got the resources to do that. Whoever came up with that original design made a very bad decision. I suspect they just went with however Mapbox normally had it working, and didn't think of the impact on doing the same on a bike computer that is regularly updated.

Henny

Post by Henny » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:47 pm

I did 2rides this weekend after the update on thursday.
I experianced issues with TBT and some data fields not showing information.
TBT: created a route on HH dashbord and loaded it to Karoo.
Went out for the ride but the navigation page showed a "solid" red bar at the bottom. I removed the route mid-ride and loaded it again with no result.
After loading the route again I only got a message about the route only available as a breadcrumtrail...strange because the route was 1000% drawn on the HH dashobord, so no import from strava, rwgps, or other 3rd party tools. :shock:

Data fields: during both my rides the data fields "acent m" and "decent m" only showed a "0". the "current grade" field only showed 3 dots ...
Uploading the ride to HH dashbord and Strava afterwards showed elevation metrics so it looks like its and issue showing the information on the screen.
I already informed HH about my experiances and hope they fix it soon. :?

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:20 pm

No idea what the "red bar" bit is about. I routed yesterday successfully again. Saturday didn't work because I had no map -- see above -- but yesterday was fine over a "known working" route. Wonder if it's something to do with new ones?

Henny

Post by Henny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 am

Did a 3rd test today with a short route to work.
Today I had TBT instructions but still the elevation data fields (acent =0, decent =0, current elevation=..., current grade =...) do not update during the ride.
I have to mention that between ride 1 and 2 I did a factory reset. furthermore my 2nd ride did not have a route so it might be possible that TBT is OK after the latest update AND a factory reset...

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:20 pm

I've *never* done a factory reset on my Karoo. It's sort of a personal "badge of honor" (or something). I've had TbT for all rides I've done since the last update to ATG. That might have been 3 or 4 rides for me... I'd have to double-check. The ride that didn't have TbT also didn't have a map at all, so that's a different issue. Every time I've had a map loaded, I've had TbT. On one ride it was "off", because I had missed the start by just a hair, but it still kept attempting to route me. My current guess/speculation is that it works on "old" routes but not on newly created ones? I haven't tested that theory yet.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Well I wish I hadn't tried Ali's suggested workaround of toggling all my routes to be not available offline, and then back available again. Because now I can't even get my Karoo to boot up in a stable fashion and show me any list of routes whatsoever.

Henny

Post by Henny » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 pm

dthempel wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:20 pm
I've *never* done a factory reset on my Karoo. It's sort of a personal "badge of honor" (or something). I've had TbT for all rides I've done since the last update to ATG. That might have been 3 or 4 rides for me... I'd have to double-check. The ride that didn't have TbT also didn't have a map at all, so that's a different issue. Every time I've had a map loaded, I've had TbT. On one ride it was "off", because I had missed the start by just a hair, but it still kept attempting to route me. My current guess/speculation is that it works on "old" routes but not on newly created ones? I haven't tested that theory yet.
My last ride with TBT was with a new created route on HH dashbord.
My first ride was also a new created route but only had a breadcrumb trail on the map page.
The map itself however was clearly visible.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:54 pm

I'm no help at all here. Both "old" routes and one that I created and rode yesterday work fine with TbT on my Karoo. Turns and elevation profile seemed spot on, and that's saying something. One oddity with highway overpasses, but just on the elevation profile and not affecting routing. Recording also looked clean, although I'm still on my 'cross bike until picking up my road bike from service this week, so I only had HR and cadence.

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 am

Did a ride on Sunday and got the solid red bar with no TBT. My Karoo TBT was working just fine before the last software update. Go figure...

The onscreen map was correct with a red line showing every turn spot on. Just no TBT or distance to next turn.

The grade of climb data field toggled between "..." And the correct value all ride with no obvious pattern. Annoying.

I know I shouldn't be surprised that HH continues to release software updates that screw up perfectly functioning aspects of the Karoo, but I am still surprised. Silly me...