FreedomPop sim card

Ask for help, find useful guides, or help others out with their issues.
nnovod

FreedomPop sim card

Post by nnovod » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Anyone try to use FreedomPop for a sim card? They have a free data plan but it's a 4gLTE sim. Will that work on the Karoo? I found this post (https://www.digitbin.com/use-4g-sim-3g-phone/) but was hoping to avoid having such contortions and wasn't sure if it was even applicable to the Karoo.

Thanks,
Nathaniel

Steve
Site Admin

Re: FreedomPop sim card

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Hmm, interesting. Karoo does have a 4G LTE modem in its MediaTek SoC. I'm sceptical that such a trick would work, especially on Karoo where HH may have done who-knows-what to drivers and firmware/radios. I would have also thought that an app like that would need root, but who knows?

Can you not easily get hold of a 3G SIM card? If the 4G SIM card is exclusively 4G then it won't work, but I would have thought it would have some sort of 3G fallback. Or is FreedomPop a CDMA network?

Edit - what country are you in?

nnovod

Post by nnovod » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm in the USA.
I believe that FreedomPop works on AT&T and Sprint and that AT&T uses GSM and Sprint uses CDMA.

I also just saw that someone said they used FreedomPop with Karoo without any problem. I assume they were using the standard 4G card but I'm going to check (https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... -activated). Sounds promising. I'm not sure if you get 200MB or 500MB free per month but either is probably sufficient for a decent number of rides.

drisotope

Post by drisotope » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm

I pulled the trigger on the FreedomPop 3-in-1 SIM for data only, ordered directly from FreedomPop, should arrive anywhere in... 2-3 weeks. I mean, it's 15 bucks, so it either works or it doesn't. As 95% of my rides start and end at my house, I'm considering an investment toward future Karoo functionality rather than a necessity.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:43 pm

drisotope wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm
I pulled the trigger on the FreedomPop 3-in-1 SIM for data only, ordered directly from FreedomPop, should arrive anywhere in... 2-3 weeks. I mean, it's 15 bucks, so it either works or it doesn't. As 95% of my rides start and end at my house, I'm considering an investment toward future Karoo functionality rather than a necessity.
Please report back as that card is on my shortlist of options if/when it becomes necessary for Karoo.

nnovod

Post by nnovod » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi drisotope,

How did you order the card? I ordered one on-line yesterday and couldn't find a way to not get roped into the free trial period. Now it looks difficult to stop the trial and/or stop the "top-up". Do I just have to be patient and wait till I get the card before I can "downgrade" to the free version? Did you find a way to not "top-up"? When I try to disable it a popup says I'll be changed for some other service if I don't want top-up?

Their website seems intentionally horrible and there's also no clear way to get in touch with them.

Thanks,
Nathaniel

drisotope

Post by drisotope » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 am

I ordered it directly from FreedomPop, as it was the only place I could find the Data-only SIM. When I went through the process on that page, there was a checkbox to "upgrade," and I simply unchecked it. I'm on the $0 for 200mb/mo plan.

drisotope

Post by drisotope » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Well, the SIM arrived much faster than anticipated, installed without hassle, and seems to be operating... but I can't for the life of me get it to connect to a "network operator" and actually move any data. I suspect that my FreedomPop account is for whatever reason not active yet, because I cannot get to my account management page. It just goes to the "Shipped: Device has been handed over to the carrier, " and "Please follow these steps to set-up your SIM."

Well that's great guys, but I already have it. But it seems to be functional... I guess. So I don't think this is a Karoo issue at all.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Might be worth trying the SIM in a phone, if you have an unlocked phone, to initially get it working.

nnovod

Post by nnovod » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:45 pm

As someone who bought the FreedomPop sim card the wrong way (the "free" data-only card that gives you a free month before you start paying monthly fees) I finally figured out how to downgrade the service. You need to choose the cancel option and then they offer you the option to simply downgrade to the free service. In addition you should watch out for "services" they've got you enlisted in for one free month. If you don't deactivate those you'll start getting charged after the first free month.

drisotope

Post by drisotope » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 pm

My initial suspicion was correct-- FreedomPop takes a solid business week to get the account activated, but they shipped mine really fast, I got it in like 2 days, so I spent a week waiting for it to work. The account went "live" on the 19th, and with no involvement, uses about 1MB of data per day if the Karoo is left on. As you can see in the attached screengrab, an upload consumes about 2MB. So ballpark that as 90-100MB of use per month if you ride every day, which leaves about 100MB for mapping. My upload this morning was very fast, no issues at all since the service was activated.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:34 pm

drisotope wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 pm
My initial suspicion was correct-- FreedomPop takes a solid business week to get the account activated, but they shipped mine really fast,
Wondering if you have any follow-ups on this? Since I'm past my 90 days, I finally bit the bullet and went with the 200MB/month "free" option (after the initial $15). Like you, my order has already shipped (in under 24 hours) so I'm wondering what will happen when I pop it in. I'm assuming you didn't have to do anything else to it -- like putting it in a phone -- to get it to work? Have you disabled the SIM (can you?) when you know you won't be using it? I disable WiFi, BT and location when I sleep my Karoo. Thanks!

drisotope

Post by drisotope » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:31 pm

Ever since the SIM was activated, it has been 100% trouble-free. I never have to mess with it. Uploads always work, and there's no issue with turning Cellular Data off and then back on during rides. I usually switch it off whenever I'm going into the mountains where I know there's no cell service, but I generally leave it on all other times. I have no basis of comparison, but I never have any problems with routing or mapping or GPS tracking, so if the SIM is helping with all of that, excellent. I've even used it for pin-drop navigation, and that worked perfectly.

Bonus, my FreedomPop account went nutty on 6/19, and hasn't tracked any data usage since that day-- but I've uploaded 6 rides since then, and WiFi has been off since the last software update. I'm certainly not complaining.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:05 pm

drisotope wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:31 pm
Ever since the SIM was activated, it has been 100% trouble-free.
Thanks for the update. Hoping I have similar good news and success to report when mine comes. Don't really need it, but since I'm now "stuck' with the Karoo, I might as well try it out and make sure it works. Having the ability to drop a pin (route me home?) while on the go is perhaps the most appealing application, although I do essentially live on an island, so it's hard to get completely lost. This might give me some additional confidence in trying a few lesser known areas of the peninsula, though...

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Mine came and is working fine, although I'm wondering if there's a battery life hit. Even when data is "off", there's the icon in the status bar that shows cellular signal strength. It's gotta be chipping away at the battery even if just to update the screen?

I'm seeing the same as drisotope in that even though I know I uploaded a ride from a parking lot the other day to test it, I'm seeing no "data usage" on my FreedomPop account page. Hmm...

drisotope

Post by drisotope » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Mine stopped showing data usage on or before 6/19, and started showing usage again 6/29-- after I had to do a factory reset. By 6/29 the Karoo was averaging 16% battery per hour. I'm not saying they're related-- my ride on July 4th was right on 10% per hour all day-- but what I'm saying is if you notice your battery consumption creeping up a few more percent per hour, reset your device before it starts eating rides.