Putting a waypoint on a dashboard bi-directional route

Ask for help, find useful guides, or help others out with their issues.
nnovod

Putting a waypoint on a dashboard bi-directional route

Post by nnovod » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Has anyone found a way to distinguish between an outgoing and incoming part of a route that overlaps? The route appears as a single line, even though I'll be traveling two different directions on that line. I'm trying to put a waypoint on such a route and I see no way to pick the direction of the route to put the waypoint on.

Steinello

Re: Putting a waypoint on a dashboard bi-directional route

Post by Steinello » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:27 am

... an other point - when I pause my ride the compass is at the moment useless.
... if I turn with my device I see no reaction of the direction arrow.
... I fear they don't use the integrated compass at the moment !?

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Steinello wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:27 am
... an other point - when I pause my ride the compass is at the moment useless.
... if I turn with my device I see no reaction of the direction arrow.
... I fear they don't use the integrated compass at the moment !?
I've suspected the same thing. A fully-operational magnetic compass is very helpful for navigating mountainbike trails, especially when there's a dense nework of them (and confusing intersections of trails). I'm going to double check whether the direction arrow responds as it should during my ride today.

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Well, I can confirm after today's ride -- the compass isn't working as expected if the hardware inside the Karoo is what Hammerhead claims. The current position arrow doesn't respond in the least when not moving. In contrast, my Garmin Etrex 35T, which also has a "magnetic compass," responded to every turn of my bike...moving or stationary.

I don't recall this issue ever being mentioned other than in this thread (perhaps it has been on the Hammerhead website??), so, if I can't find any evidence of it being acknowledged, I'm going to send in a ticket to Hammerhead Customer Service.

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:47 pm

I received a reply from Ali at Hammerhead regarding my ticket/comment that it appeared the magnetometer was not being used currently:

"...I checked this with the software team and this has been on a list of things of things we definitely want to get sorted out.
Your findings are correct and it does not work as expected right now but this will be fixed shortly in upcoming updates."

He also mentioned that he intends to try to get a fix expedited during the next meeting with the product team. I don't know if that will actually happen, but we can only hope that he stands behind his word...

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Accelerometer or compass sensor?

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Steve wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Accelerometer or compass sensor?
Sorry...I just corrected my post. I meant to say "magnetometer" as this is the culprit (NOT the accelerometer).