Are these "known bugs?"

Ask for help, find useful guides, or help others out with their issues.
FitmanNJ

Are these "known bugs?"

Post by FitmanNJ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:46 am

I recently started using my Karoo again after "retiring" it shortly after purchase due to the failing mount/foot concern. On my mountain bike ride today, I noticed that my "Current Grade" field reported 0% for the entire ride (already in the "Known Bugs" thread, but purportedly addressed in software version 1.5+); both the "Ride Time" and "Total Time" fields reported the entire elapsed time (i.e., registered no "pause time") despite the fact that I had stopped quite frequently to adjust my front suspension fork, etc. -- both time fields continued to tick off time as I sat there motionless (my "Auto Pause" function was "On," and set to "When Stopped"; I'm thinking to try inserting a 1 mph auto pause threshold for the next ride to see if that makes a difference. I do use a Garmin Ant+ hub-mounted speed sensor); during the ride, the numbers in the data cells were slightly cut-off at the bottom (the numbers were properly centered in the post-ride activity report, however). Could this be from displaying too many fields on one page?

Are these known issues? Any work-arounds? Thanks.

FitmanNJ

Re: Are these "known bugs?"

Post by FitmanNJ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 pm

Well, strangely enough, other than the clipping off of the font mentioned above, the other oddities that I reported seemed to be OK today: "Current Grade" lagged behind the Garmin that was sharing the handlebars, but was at least responding; "Total Time" and "Ride Time" showed what they are supposed to show. I did change the "Auto Pause" from "when stopped" to "1 mph," so maybe that's the work around.

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Still seeing the cutting off of the bottom of the characters in the data field:
92F333DD-7D49-4AE2-91BA-E4738D8A9102.jpeg
92F333DD-7D49-4AE2-91BA-E4738D8A9102.jpeg (473.14 KiB) Viewed 1461 times

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 pm

I have the same number of fields on my main data page and don't get the text cut-off. I wonder if you re-arranged the fields if one is somehow throwing off the sizing/font? Or try removing one and just adding it back in?

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:28 pm

dthempel wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 pm
I have the same number of fields on my main data page and don't get the text cut-off. I wonder if you re-arranged the fields if one is somehow throwing off the sizing/font? Or try removing one and just adding it back in?
Thanks for the suggestion, Doug. I'll try doing that to see if it straightens out things.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:43 pm

This is from the "preview" page, but my data screen looks like this.
IMG_20180723_144041.jpg
IMG_20180723_144041.jpg (586.67 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Ok, after a little testing, I can report that deleting, then adding back fields doesn't seem to change things. The "clipped" bottoms only apply to numeric fields; the graphical/chart fields look centered. The "clipped" data appears on all three of the screens that I've setup, including the two fields at the bottom of the map.

I'm wondering whether the issue is related to the fact that I've side-loaded Nova Launcher, OSMAnd, and a couple of other apps per the directions that have been posted elsewhere on this forum. I don't recall the data field clipping before making these modifications -- I wasn't using the Karoo for a couple of months pending resolution of the broken mount/foot issue, but it's hard for me to believe that I didn't notice this if it was happening before the side-loading.

Ironically, the side-loading attempt has been a mixed bag for me because, despite the beautiful map that OSMAnd offers, unless I'm missing something, you lose use of the buttons for screen switching, etc. Since I always wear full-fingered gloves when riding (mtb), the buttons are a real benefit for me. Using the touch screen to switch between OSMAnd and the HH data screens using the gloves is unreliable -- yes, it eventually registers the touches, but normally only after several attempts/mis-directions. I wish I could say otherwise, but I've never really found a touch screen that can reliably be used while wearing gloves...despite the claims of the manufacturers. I've sewn conductive thread into the fingers of my gloves, which helps, but still is inconsistent.

Perhaps I'll need to revert back to just running HH apps (via a factory reset? -- will need to research this) to see if things are overall better for me and my style of riding, despite the ongoing HH software performance issues...

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:53 pm

dthempel wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:43 pm

IMG_20180723_144041.jpg
Yep, I hear you, that looks good. BTW, my preview screens show the clipping, too.

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:02 pm

dthempel wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:43 pm

IMG_20180723_144041.jpg
As a follow-up: I was having difficulty signing-in to my Hammerhead account while using my Karoo, so I requested help from HH. I was told to do a factory reset, which did, indeed, wipe-out all of the side-loaded programs (at least it appears to have done so...). Interestingly, the screen fields no longer are clipped at the bottom:
6EAAA1A4-73CD-423C-808A-6E3C6004A452.jpeg
6EAAA1A4-73CD-423C-808A-6E3C6004A452.jpeg (642.08 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:29 am

Ok, I need to give credit where credit is due. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I hadn't found a cycling GPS unit (including the Karoo) that responded well to full-fingered mountain bike gloves. I think that because of the relatively narrow area at the top of the Karoo screen where switching to/from OSMAnd is possible, I was, indeed, frustrated at times, and this was reflected in my earlier comments. Now that I'm again running the Hammerhead Launcher by itself (after the factory reset), I've just conducted a dedicated test of both my warm-weather gloves (Long-Fingered Specialized "Grail") and cold-weather/winter gloves (Bontrager "Old Man Winter" gloves, a double-glove system where either one or two layers of gloves can be worn, depending on the severity of the cold/wind, etc.).

For both my warm-weather and winter gloves, I've found the Karoo screen to be very responsive. The Specialized "Grail" gloves do have conductive thread on the thumb and forefinger, which I've supplemented with additional conductive thread. It seems that the screen's response to the other three fingers is also quite good, however -- it's really hard to tell any difference between the "souped-up" fingers and those that haven't been modified. Pinch zooms are a bit balkier than taps, but also work with a little bit of patience. Screen swiping was very reliable.

The Bontrager "Old Man Winter" gloves are advertised as being touch screen friendly, but there are no obvious signs of anything being different about them if inspecting the tips of the fingers. Fortunately, however, they live up to their marketing claims as they tap and swipe very well. Due to their thickness, however, pinch zooms are very limited. I don't find this at all bad considering the bulk of these gloves, especially when wearing both layers (I would imagine that they'd keep your hands comfortable to 0 degrees Farenheit or below!). Ironically, I also have a couple pairs of heavy 45Nrth "Sturmfist" winter gloves, which don't claim to be screen-friendly. This was confirmed in my testing -- touching the screen with the 45Nrth gloves had no effect.

So, I definitely stand corrected -- the Karoo screen seems to respond very well to screen-friendly gloves. I haven't used a GPS screen in the past that responds this well. With the hope of improved software performance in the future, I was greatly encouraged by my findings as I'm a year-around mountain biker.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 am

Good that you've found that it does work well. I've certainly had no problem operating my Karoo with touchscreen-friendly gloves. I can't remember what gloves I have exactly since we've been in a heatwave here in the UK for weeks and weeks, and it seems like forever that I needed anything more than my usual mitts!

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Steve wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 am
Good that you've found that it does work well. I've certainly had no problem operating my Karoo with touchscreen-friendly gloves. I can't remember what gloves I have exactly since we've been in a heatwave here in the UK for weeks and weeks, and it seems like forever that I needed anything more than my usual mitts!
Yes, with touchscreen-friendly gloves, Steve, all should be good when the temperatures require them!