HX Navigation Service has stopped

Ask for help, find useful guides, or help others out with their issues.
Steve
Site Admin

HX Navigation Service has stopped

Post by Steve »

So I hit this for the first time today. As seems usual since the recent update, I had to have a couple of goes to start the route before I got the turn by turn instructions. I headed off but after a short while I got the "Sorry, the HX Navigation Service has stopped" message.

I then rebooted my Karoo and started the ride/route again. Almost straight away I got the same message, so I decided to just leave it like that. I still got the red line for the route on my screen, I just didn't get the turn by turn instructions (which I find unreliable at the moment anyway).

This does seem to be a common issue on 1.5.1.3, judging by other reports.
Steve
Site Admin

Re: HX Navigation Service has stopped

Post by Steve »

Another ride, another "Sorry, the HX Navigation Service has stopped". Annoying. Looking forward to this hopefully being fixed in Thursday's update, especially since it seems to be so widespread.

1.5.1.3 has been a step backwards for me: a lot less reliable.
stephensm

Post by stephensm »

I have the same error message every time I start the Karoo now
danclo

Post by danclo »

I have 2 karoo's, 1 for my wife and 1 for me, both have the same problem with this message.
I am waiting for another update, if this device does not work more stable they will return all 2 to Hammerhead
Last edited by danclo on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esinofsky

Post by esinofsky »

same here. I have found I like not to show the TBT anyway, just the map. I still get the Nav Service stopped message. Following the route with it shown on the map is enough guidance for me.
nordog

Post by nordog »

I have found that the TBT tells me way to early there has been two turns before the correct turn or 1/4 mile distance instead of say 50 feet say. :(
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. As well as trying to fix the navigation crash problem, I was also interested to see exactly what it gets back from the HH account and what needs setting up again (so that I could add it to the FAQs).

It did get back my data pages, heart rate zones and routes etc. But I had to re-pair my sensors again. Also now I’ve hit the issues that others often have with offline map areas, where it started downloading and then gave up after a while and stuck on “queued”. So all the offline routes were queued too. So I decided to experiment and delete the offline area and not bother having one at all – so then that meant the offline routes started downloading (though some of them inexplicably now say that TBT isn’t available, even though it was fine before).

So the offline route download is slower now, with no offline area to use. But I imagine I should still be fine. All my routes start at the same meeting point which is less than 5 miles from my house. Given that HH have said the offline routes download about a 10 mile radius in terms of map tiles, then it will hopefully still navigate me to the start of my route (just out of interest, not because I don't know where I'm going!).

I've got a ride tomorrow (though the weather forecast is for heavy rain all morning :roll: ), so I'll see if the navigation crashes again. My suspicion on this error is that the update process breaks something and that it's fixed by a factory reset. I'll find out tomorrow.
dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

Hope the weather turns for you and that the "HX" issue is fixed. I thought I saw it once this weekend prior to my "big ride" and was worried, and then -- as if by magic -- the routing and TbT worked great on my first ride in a totally unknown area (albeit with a well-marked course with awesome volunteers and flaggers).
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

The weather didn't turn for us until we were nearly home. So very wet and windy for most of the ride.

I was wrong in my thoughts that the factory reset would probably fix the problem. It didn't. Although the route gave me a pop-up window saying that TBT would not be available, once I started moving it got the TBT OK. But after about 2 minutes the navigation service crashed as usual, and I was stuck with "Rerouting" though thankfully still had the red line on the map tomorrorow. I really hope this is fixed in tomorrow's update or I'm not going to be impressed, given how many people seem to be having the problem.

I also noticed a weird problem that I'l post about separately.
danclo

Post by danclo »

I think it has been very quiet lately on the side of hammerdead, little response to all these problems...
Simon

Post by Simon »

danclo wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:42 pm ..hammerdead..
:D I hope not. Better see some live and fixes in tomorrows update
tempo36

Post by tempo36 »

Thanks Hammerhead! Great to know that navigation, the current cornerstone of your platform, is dead! Glad it's a priority task though.

"As of now, I would not be able to provide any workaround for this. Since this was identified as a known issue and has been one of our priority tasks to be improved in the next software release soon.

Stay tuned to our blog.
https://blog.hammerhead.io/"
tempo36

Post by tempo36 »

After today's update I now have a ZERO percent success rate getting the HH to provide TBT instructions. It just sits at "Waiting for Instructions". Sometimes the map will show a red line indicating directions to the start of my route, but that's it.

Navigation is 100% dead in the water.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

tempo36 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:53 pm After today's update I now have a ZERO percent success rate getting the HH to provide TBT instructions. It just sits at "Waiting for Instructions". Sometimes the map will show a red line indicating directions to the start of my route, but that's it.
That doesn't sound good. I would try deleting the route and downloading it again. Forget about offline areas for now. If that fails, try a factory reset.
gregm

Post by gregm »

tempo36 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:53 pm After today's update I now have a ZERO percent success rate getting the HH to provide TBT instructions. It just sits at "Waiting for Instructions". Sometimes the map will show a red line indicating directions to the start of my route, but that's it.

Navigation is 100% dead in the water.
It was 100% alive and well for me after today's update. I did a ~5km ride (my work commute) just fine with TBT instructions.

-Greg
jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 »

My experience seems to suggest that turning off auto-pause may get navigation turn by turn cues back.

I was always being confronted with 'Waiting for instruction' after updating to 1.5.19.3 before I turned auto-pause off, and turning it on again brought the problem back. I haven't extensively proved it though.
dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

jeffjsmith33 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:29 pm My experience seems to suggest that turning off auto-pause may get navigation turn by turn cues back.
That may work for you, but I don't think that's the culprit. I have a video working that shows TbT *not* working at 10AM this morning and then suddenly working again at 5 or 6PM for the same route. I never touched auto-pause.

EDIT: Oh... wait... you may be onto something. I was using a different data page set.

::forehead slap:: That *may* actually be it, although that's not the behavior I saw Friday in my driveway. I'm pretty sure that was using my "Road w/ Power" pages set that does have auto-pause active. The test I did this evening was with a "Cyclocross" page set that I haven't touched since getting the Karoo. That has auto-pause off.

Good catch and interesting, although I swear I saw something different on Friday.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I went out for my first ride with 1.5.19.3 today, not expecting much. I had already turned off auto-pause, as per Jeff's suggestion, in the hope that this would avoid the "Waiting for Instruction" problem.

Things started off ok, and I was getting turn directions. So far so good. But a few minutes into the ride, just as with 1.5.1.3, the navigation service crashed with a pop-up window, and the TBT was stuck on "Rerouting". So I thought that was that.

However, a little later on into the ride (I wasn't looking at the route for the first few miles, since I knew it very well), I noticed that the TBT was working again! I wasn't expecting that. In the most recent HH livestream, they mentioned that they had seen that the nav service needed resetting every now and again. So I can only assume they put something in to do this, and it worked in my case (on the previous release once the nav was crashed, it wouldn't come back at all except on a reboot).

I forgot to try out loading a route mid-ride, to see how that goes (not very well by all reports?).

Oh, and Karoo reported that I did 6,779 ft of climbing, whereas in fact I did about 5,000 ft less than that.
dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

Steve wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:49 pmOh, and Karoo reported that I did 6,779 ft of climbing, whereas in fact I did about 5,000 ft less than that.
Lightweight. ;) I "did" 15,000' according to Karoo on Sunday. (I don't think there's 15,000 feet of climbing on *every* road in my area if I was to ride them all in a single day.)