Question for users: start button

Ask for help, find useful guides, or help others out with their issues.
Stendhal

Question for users: start button

Post by Stendhal »

Hi, I am very interested in the Karoo 2. I have a Stages and it has many great features, but two big ergonomic issues:
1. The mount is clunky and hard to use. Problem solves with the Karoo 2 as its quarter turn interface will work on the front of the stem mount unit that came with my bike (Orbea Orca).
2. The start button never works on the first try, is difficult to push, and with its hard, grooved surface gouges my skin.

The Stages also could be better in uploading rides but that is not as bothersome.
The Stages is great on data field page customization (truly outstanding) and screen clarity for the record.

My big issue is 2, the hard to use buttons. It’s especially bothersome because the Stages elapsed ride time field does not pause when you stop at a light or otherwise (the Bryton does, it’s a great feature). So to get an accurate ride time I have to pause and unpause at lights or when I’m waiting for my wife to catch up, which is literally a pain.

How is the Karoo on the start button? Is it relativity easy to push and use? Thank you kindly, you’ve picked a great bike computer according to all the reviews!
dthempel
Site Admin

Re: Question for users: start button

Post by dthempel »

Sorry to be "silly", but the "start button" function is really your biggest differentiator for purchase?

The buttons on the Karoo are just "OK". I think they're worse than on the Karoo 1. They are less tactile, more fiddly to use with gloves, and prone to incorrect presses because the unit is smaller, the buttons closer together, and the buttons are mirrored on each side instead of offset left/top and right/bottom. Trying to push one button often results in pushing the one on the other side inadvertently which then results in a "double press" and a different function. :(

The mount is also *not* better, IMO, if you're going to be using the 1/4 turn. The built-in mount is sturdier. The "Garmin" style adapter they supply (and only on the first few batches apparently) is sloppy at best and results in a very insecure feeling of the unit on the bike.
Stendhal

Post by Stendhal »

I'm not alone in identifying these issues. So did DC Rainmaker.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/sta ... eview.html

Here's what he wrote about them:

Which, unfortunately, gets me right to my second point (fear not, after this is smooth sailing), the buttons suck. They’re hard to press, often require double presses that are hard to know if they triggered or not. I suspect part of that is amplified by the general slowness of the unit, so you aren’t sure whether something pressed and have to press it again. Having/leaving the ‘beep’ on helps, since you’ll hear the sharp beep tone on each button press.

_____

However, all that compatibility aside, I will note that the mount still remains one of the more annoying aspects of the Stages Dash lineup to me. No matter how many mounts I use on numerous bikes and numerous Stages Dash units, getting it to click right can be cumbersome and non-reassuring. And I don’t feel like I’m alone in that complaint, judging from other’s opinions. The main reason Stages has gone with an all-metal mount design is to decrease the dependency on the tabs seen in Garmin/Wahoo/everyone’s mounts. However, to be honest, I just don’t hear any sign of widespread issues here with real-world users for the last 11+ years. It’s just not an issue. I’d strongly recommend Stages re-think the mount on any future products.

I received my Karoo 2 today and the buttons are materially better. Also, as Karoo has a ride time field that excludes time when you're paused at lights or the lot, unlike Stages, there's less of a need to use the buttons anyway (on the Stages you have to do this to pause the elapsed time at lights).

I have not yet tried the standard mount. I do intend to use the quarter turn adapter on one bike because it came with a stem-mounted quarter turn mount as standard.
bikebikebike

Post by bikebikebike »

Thanks for the DCR review link.
Some great writing and analysis.

the line :
However, for someone that just wants to go out and ride, some of the value prop is lost.

captures a lot of the experience with it and the Karoo's 1&2 struggle with UX .