Waiting for GPS

Ask for help, find useful guides, or help others out with their issues.
Brian

Waiting for GPS

Post by Brian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:55 pm

On Sunday I went on a club ride using the standard procedure: import ride leader's RWGPS link into the Dashboard, sync Karoo, make map available offline, ride. Two weekends ago it worked flawlessly. This last ride was a different story.

Upon straing the ride I got "Waiting for Instructions". Several minutes later it tuned to "Waiting for GPS" and this wording remained in the giant red bar for the rest of the three hour ride. The funny thing is that the Karoo WAS connected to GPS as the arrow followed the on screen route perfectly. So I could see every turn coming up and my present location, even though "Waiting for GPS" remained on screen.

I did a forum search and nothing came up (the search engine seems to not be working properly). Any idea what causes this and how to make it go away?

Brian

p.s. It would be nice when the Karoo gets all confused and brick-like, if the warning messages would go away. There really is no reason for a half inch thick red bar shouting "Waiting for GPS" to be broadcast for all eternity...

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Waiting for GPS

Post by Steve » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 pm

This is a very common error, unfortunately, and I've had it myself. It can sometimes help to be moving when you start the ride, or to turn off auto-pause.

You're right that it clearly has got GPS because it still tracks via the map ok. It seems to get itself confused when it perhaps momentarily loses GPS and then the navigation system goes crazy and fails to recover.

It seems to often mess up when you stop for a while (e.g. at a cafe stop) even if it was working before. In that situation restarting the ride can help.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:18 pm

On the search function, what search did you try? I found that it objected to "waiting gps", saying that those words were too common (I assume it means common on this forum as opposed to in general, since it said "Karoo" was too common as well", but "waiting instruction" brought up some hits.

Brian

Post by Brian » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Steve wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:18 pm
On the search function, what search did you try? I found that it objected to "waiting gps", saying that those words were too common (I assume it means common on this forum as opposed to in general, since it said "Karoo" was too common as well", but "waiting instruction" brought up some hits.
I received the same "words too common" error. Placing quotes around the search phrase didn't help.