OsmAnd & Komoot Use

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Brian

OsmAnd & Komoot Use

Post by Brian » Sun May 26, 2019 6:12 pm

After following JohnJ80's instructions (thanks John) and a good bit of Internet sleuthing, I was able to sideload ADB,Nova Launcher, OsmAnd and Komoot after about an hour. The attached image is my non-HH screen. I can get both mapping apps to open, access the Karoo GPS and show my location. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to get a .gpx file loaded to either mapping app.

When I plug my Karoo into my computer it shows up in Explorer as "this folder is empty". I would have thought that the installed apps would show up as individual folders (like Program Files on my desktop), but all I have is a supposedly empty device - which doesn't make sense. I am obviously not understanding how Android file structures work.

Anyway, if someone can tell me how to get a .gpx file loaded onto my Karoo OsmAnd or Komoot, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Attachments
IMG_4823.jpg
IMG_4823.jpg (37.63 KiB) Viewed 912 times

JohnJ80

Re: OsmAnd & Komoot Use

Post by JohnJ80 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:12 am

Two ways -

1. Set up a Dropbox account and then load the Dropbox app on your Karoo. Anything you put in Dropbox can then be accessed on the Karoo in any app that will read it.

2. Komoot is easy - just import the gpx file into your Komoot account on any other platform and when you log in to Komoot on your Karoo it will be there.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon May 27, 2019 6:41 am

See viewtopic.php?t=73 for how to see Karoo folders and files (some, not all of them) from your PC.

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon May 27, 2019 12:29 pm

Wow. That was easy. Went with #2 through my Komoot account. Almost instantly synced with my Karoo.

Off for a gravel ride with the gang. Could I actually have reliable TbT on my Karoo??? I’ll report back.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Try putting a BT earbud in and getting audio TbT through Komoot. Then you can turn off the screen and save battery too. I’ve experimented with it and it seems to work well.

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon May 27, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks, John.

Is their any reason to use OsmAnd if you have Komoot? I did my first ride today after sideloading and Komoot was absolutely outstanding! Far better than any experience I've had with my Karoo to date. The gang and I were on some of the most obscure gravel roads high up in the hills and Komoot was spot on with every turn. Almost scary good.

I got a .gpx loaded onto OsmAnd through Dropbox as you suggested, but it doesn't seem as intuitive as Komoot. Am I missing something?

Brian

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:46 am

Osmand isn't as intuitive. Once you have it loaded into Osmand, then you have go to "My Places" and then select "Tracks" and it should be there. Then, when you want to use it, you go to the Navigate menu and select that track.

I just investigated another means of getting data into the Karoo. On the Mac, there is an app called the "Android File Transfer" that I think also exists under Windows as Steve has pointed out. Basically if you take your GPX file and load it into /sdcard/Android/net.osmand.plus/files/tracks then it will be available when you run Osmand and you will be able to find your GPX track under "My Places" again. I like Dropbox because if I have network connectivity either through the cellular modem or wifi or hotspot, I can access my gpx routes if I have stored and organized them on Dropbox. It's probably easier and faster to get it into the Karoo with the AFT app, but you'd need a computer.

Osmand is more complex and has oodles of capability in terms of POI, topo, hill shading etc... It definitely takes some time and work to fully understand and configure it. But that sort of falls into the category of "if something is foolproof, only a fool will use it." If you want the capability, you need to learn how to use it. Komoot has some good hill shading and topo information, but I think Osmand is better in this. I don't think there is any argument at all that the POI information in Osmand is the best of all. So, again, no mapping software has all the information you need or want and it pays to have multiples especially if you're touring or on an extended route.

So I find Osmand is an excellent compliment to both Komoot and the native Karoo software. In this way, the Karoo becomes a complete source of map data more so than any other bike computer out there. Too, having both mapping sources really gives redundancy - the Karoo software may crash, but if you have another launcher configured, Android is going to still keep going and you'll be able to use Osmand or Komoot for navigation. While the Karoo is much more reliable now than a year ago, this is in fact what I did when the Karoo software did crash on my mid tour. We were able to navigate through some pretty gnarly stuff using Osmand and it worked super well for us.

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue May 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks again, John. Your help has been invaluable.