ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Post Reply
dthempel
Site Admin
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Contact:

ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Post by dthempel » Fri May 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Introducing bike profiles. This is a frequently-requested feature from the Karoo user community and we're eager to get your feedback on its performance and any bugs you might encounter. We've also made it more convenient for users who sideload apps using ADB - sideloaded apps now appear on the Karoo homescreen.

What's new in release 1.46.620.3

New features and improvements:

Introduction of Bike Profiles, which keep track of total mileage per bike and allow users to set the wheel diameter individually for each bike
You can now switch your page sets and bike in-ride. Select Edit Ride from the in-ride menu to make these changes
Choosing to ride a route through the routes menu on the home screen now adds the route to the ride launcher, where the page set and bike can be selected
Side-loaded applications now automatically show up in the launcher alongside official Hammerhead applications
While we don’t officially support this use case, we appreciate the ingenuity of our community and want to make the process more convenient
Refinements to the rider cursor and scale meter shown on the map view

Bug Fixes:

Added support for non-standard characters previously missing from the sign-up name field
Fixed a long-time issue where the first press of the B/C buttons for zooming or otherwise navigating could sometimes be missed
Fixed a number of issues causing a "Continue ride" message to get stuck on the navigation banner
Fixed an error with rerouting that could occur when a ride’s out-bound route overlapped with its return route
Fixes to the North-up map and compass

dthempel
Site Admin
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Contact:

Re: ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Post by dthempel » Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Quick review is that several bugs have been found and they're apparently working on a hotfix. I wouldn't hold your breaths for next week...

User avatar
Steve
Site Admin
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Post by Steve » Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Acknowledging sideloaded apps? Wow, that's a bit of a change.

dthempel
Site Admin
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Contact:

Re: ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Post by dthempel » Mon May 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Steve wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 pm
Acknowledging sideloaded apps? Wow, that's a bit of a change.
And something they should have done MONTHS ago if they had no plans to move forward with some sort of curated "app store"...

FitmanNJ
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Post by FitmanNJ » Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm

I'm unclear. With this latest release, do you still have to reload all of your sideloaded apps after installing a Karoo OS update, or is eliminating the need to reinstall sideloaded apps (rather than just displaying them on the home screen once reinstalled) what this update accomplishes (if it works)? Thanks.

User avatar
Psyclist
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:26 am
Location: Vientiane, Laos

Re: ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Post by Psyclist » Tue May 21, 2019 5:04 pm

FitmanNJ wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm
I'm unclear. With this latest release, do you still have to reload all of your sideloaded apps after installing a Karoo OS update, or is eliminating the need to reinstall sideloaded apps (rather than just displaying them on the home screen once reinstalled) what this update accomplishes (if it works)? Thanks.
Huh? I've never had to do that. You will have to do that after a factory reset because this is essentially the same as a reformat/reinstall on a desktop computer, only that Android leaves its own system partition intact so you don't actually have to reinstall the OS. But as long as an update doesn't cause any instabilities (I seem to have been really lucky so far in that respect) you can do the upgrade and continue without wiping everything.

FitmanNJ
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Post by FitmanNJ » Wed May 22, 2019 1:59 am

Psyclist wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:04 pm
FitmanNJ wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm
I'm unclear. With this latest release, do you still have to reload all of your sideloaded apps after installing a Karoo OS update, or is eliminating the need to reinstall sideloaded apps (rather than just displaying them on the home screen once reinstalled) what this update accomplishes (if it works)? Thanks.
Huh? I've never had to do that. You will have to do that after a factory reset because this is essentially the same as a reformat/reinstall on a desktop computer, only that Android leaves its own system partition intact so you don't actually have to reinstall the OS. But as long as an update doesn't cause any instabilities (I seem to have been really lucky so far in that respect) you can do the upgrade and continue without wiping everything.
Ok, thanks Psyclist, that's very helpful to know. I've tweeked so many things in Locus Map Pro, I'm not entirely sure how I'd restore it to the configuration it's now in. I think that Locus has plans to make it possible to save one's configuration on the cloud, but I'm not sure that can be done currently (will be checking on that). Without someone explaining that Karoo updates are different from factory resets, I couldn't risk finding out by trial and error. I know that prior to the recent map changes, I had to restore all of my offline maps after each update...and I have close to 30 maps saved, one for each of the local mountain bike trails.

dthempel
Site Admin
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Contact:

Re: ATG Release 1.46.620.3

Post by dthempel » Thu May 23, 2019 12:20 pm

Your maps won't work the same way since an update or two ago. You'll have to download full states (in the US) or regions in other countries.

Post Reply