Screen off while navigating ? Auto back on ?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Aaddaamm

Screen off while navigating ? Auto back on ?

Post by Aaddaamm » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Apologies if this is covered somewhere but I did not find it.
Is it possible to have my HH operate that the screen is off while navigating and knows to turn on when approaching upcoming turn/navigation? I often turn the screen off with the button to conserve battery, and to just not look at the screen, but I would like the screen to automatically flash back on and display my upcoming turn etc. rather than I have to know to turn it back on manually and keep tabs on how soon the next turn is.

thanks!

dthempel
Site Admin

Re: Screen off while navigating ? Auto back on ?

Post by dthempel » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Nope. I think it's been asked for, but I have no idea if it's been put on any plan as a feature.

Aaddaamm

Post by Aaddaamm » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Darn.

gregm

Post by gregm » Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Can you give us your impression of how much "screen off" helps with battery life?

Thanks!!

-Greg

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 am

gregm wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm
Can you give us your impression of how much "screen off" helps with battery life?
I have no way of quantifying it (and I just moved internationally so my Karoo is still on a freighter somewhere near Thailand) but it seems to make quite a big difference, especially at daytime. At night you'll be running your display at minimum brightness anyway so it's not as power hungry, but at maximum for readability in bright daylight I daresay it's a bigger load than the GPS. OSMand can do that "turn the screen on before a turn" thing already and it helped me finish some all-day rides with a solid battery reserve where I'm sure it would have died otherwise.