hammerhead - Karoo-survey

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Steinello

hammerhead - Karoo-survey

Post by Steinello » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:54 am

Hello,

anybody else get the survey from hammerhead ?

... I take part - a strange question was what I want to pay to get the Karoo better.
... I´m afraid that they search fields to generate profit from the existing users ;-(
Attachments
hammerhead-survey.jpg
hammerhead-survey.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

alan.whymant

Re: hammerhead - Karoo-survey

Post by alan.whymant » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Yes I got the link.
I interpreted the "how much would you pay" as "what do you think the retail price should be" rather than payment for additional functions...I could be wrong.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:19 pm

I didn't get that question either, the one "What would you pay for a Grade A solution?". What on earth does that mean - how much extra money would I give HH to get everything working properly on Karoo? How much do I think it's reasonable to pay for a Karoo with "Grade A" functionality, assuming I didn't have one?

Steinello

Post by Steinello » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:38 pm

"What would you pay for a Grade A solution?"

... yes, I think that was the question - but I don´t understand the intension of the question.
... I think we bought a "Grad A solution" ;-)
... should we pay to keep running the server-infrastructure needed for the "Dashboard" ?
... should we pay for additional features
... or was the question "What would you pay for a new device" to get an idea what they could claim from a new customer ?

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:40 pm

They're just trying to figure out how the device should be priced (like should they actually raise the price like they said they would) or if they can charge more for a hardware revision. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:00 pm

I must be on the "naughty" list again. I didn't get one. :)

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:30 am

Me either. I think my comment about “accessorizing” my Karoo with an Elemnt might have done it. ;)

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Maybe it's ended up in spam, or is just delayed. The wording in HH's latest blog post make it sound like it's going to everyone.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:00 pm

dthempel wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:00 pm
I must be on the "naughty" list again. I didn't get one. :)
JohnJ80 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:30 am
Me either. I think my comment about “accessorizing” my Karoo with an Elemnt might have done it. ;)
Went to spam for me.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Weird. I never got it but I did get a note saying "Why haven't you filled in your survey?" So I did since it had the link.

gadaga

Post by gadaga » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:15 pm

The ''what would you pay for a grade A solution'' question is funny indeed. I stated that I found the Karoo rather grade C or D for the moment in an earlier question, with all the bugs and lack of functionality we have sofar.

So what would I pay for a grade A solution... I replied: exactly the price I payed for the Karoo as that should have been (and was sold as being) a grade A solution...

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:33 am

Yeah, that question was them leading with their chin. They’re still not very realistic about their predicament.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm

I got the follow-up survey to this, which contained one (rather odd, IMHO) question.

I can't get back into the survey to do a screenshot (I should have thought of that before), but it was about a potential new hardware design with a slightly smaller screen and much smaller bezels. So the overall effect was a smaller form factor.

The question asked which one I'd prefer. I thought it wasn't very well thought out as a survey, and said that out of the two I'd prefer the original Karoo because it had a bigger screen. But why didn't they do the same size screen in a package with much smaller bezels, instead of shrinking both the screen size and the bezels? Because that would still help the form factor quite a lot.

gregm

Post by gregm » Thu May 09, 2019 4:42 pm

The mock-up proposed new version was "taller" and "skinnier" -- and less wasted border -- effectively giving more display area, right?

That was my impression.

-Greg

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu May 09, 2019 7:36 pm

gregm wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:42 pm
The mock-up proposed new version was "taller" and "skinnier" -- and less wasted border -- effectively giving more display area, right?
No. The display was smaller. They mentioned a smaller screen size when comparing the two. And measuring it roughly across the diagonal on my monitor, the proposed new design definitelt had a smaller display area.

It was a different aspect ratio casing, and of course that can trick the eye into how big the screen is when comparing to another one (with a differing aspect ratio).

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon May 13, 2019 3:26 pm

From some chatter on Facebook, it also seems that they sent an "A" and "B" survey with different images? Or maybe I'm misreading what I thought I saw from Facebook (or people made up their own images). Frustrating that they're already potentially "moving on" hardware-wise while the software is still in a seeming "good one / bad one" cycle...