HH Blog post and release news

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Steve
Site Admin

HH Blog post and release news

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:26 am

See https://blog.hammerhead.io/february-news-c09423fccc37

Specifically:
More updates are on their way following the major release last month. Our software team is working on stability as a focus for the first quarter of the year, ensuring a solid experience for the debut of the cycling season in the northern hemisphere. New features are incoming, however, including the eagerly-awaited Upcoming Elevation Graph. See our Product Roadmap for what the team will be focusing on.

Our team continues to work on two-week cycles, so you’ll often see software releases that coincide with this two-week cadence. There’s no rigid schedule, however — it depends on internal testing, Advanced Testing Group feedback, and whether we’re working on changes that require multiple sprints to complete. When new software is ready for your Karoo, we usually make it available on Thursdays at 12pm EST to allow you to update and get used to the changes before your weekend rides.
So a bit disappointingly vague IMHO. One of the biggest problems is that we have no way to back out releases (unless you're lucky enough to have a rooted Karoo). So once you upgrade you're stuck if you don't like it, waiting for the vague next release in the hope that it'll be better.

bigfloor

Re: HH Blog post and release news

Post by bigfloor » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Well, at least they understand the need for more developers, both for the UI as well as Android (9 job openings in total)

Fancy page here:
https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/careers

Detailed page here:
https://hammerhead.bamboohr.com/jobs/

Senior UI/UX Designer
Design – New York, New York

Hammerhead is a tech startup, building the software platform for the sport of cycling. At present we are focused on producing the Karoo, the world’s best bicycle computer. We are a team of athletes, creators, and doers who get to spend our time building the finest product in our category, for the sport we love. This is an exciting time to come aboard. The Hammerhead Karoo shipped in March of 2018 and is used by thousands of customers in 32 countries worldwide.

We are now seeking a senior UI/UX designer to bring excellent software and user experience to the cycling market. The successful candidate will be responsible for core UI/UX on both the Karoo cycling computer and online web “Dashboard”. They will report directly to the head of product and head of software engineering. This role requires understanding of the cycling market, and extensive experience in mobile UI/UX. Ideally they have additional knowledge in areas such as: data visualization, animation, wearable or automotive UI.

The Senior UI/UX Designer will:

Produce excellent design

Define impactful visual and feature additions to advance Hammerhead’s product offerings
Maintain product design consistency across the brand and iconography
Rapidly convert stories and product descriptions into wire frames

Clearly communicate design to dev. team

Maintain an excellent process for conveying new UI or UX to the development team, providing well documented and clearly defined hand-off material

Guide Implementation

Join Agile teams to run story grooming sessions and prioritize workload.
Answer questions and concerns raised about UI in development and make necessary tweaks.

Provide design assets to other teams

Highlight software features for use in sales and marketing material.

Manage and grow a team

Recruit, build and manage a world-class design team.

To join us, you must:

Be on this mission to win

We are not here to take part in our category, we are here to take it over. We are working on applying some of the most interesting technology to some of the most exciting applications. We’ve built a strong team from around the world. We have extremely ambitious goals for the future as well as the team to seize them. You must bring enthusiasm, aggression, and the determination to succeed, excited by the prospect of working hard, in the full confidence that your colleagues are too.

Accept extreme ownership

We do not believe in work/life balance. It’s all life, and it is short. We believe in spending it doing something meaningful, with people you admire, enjoy, and respect. Our culture is defined by the things that we do right, when it would be easier to do them wrong. You must be willing to admit your own mistakes, develop a plan to overcome them, and blame no one else. You must set this example for the team that you directly lead and grow.

Intuit our customers needs to produce compelling design

Building features that will delight cyclists requires you to understand the use case intuit their needs. You must have a deep sense of the sport, or be willing to immerse yourself in the sport, fully confident in your ability to rapidly learn its nuances.

Specific qualifications and skills required:

Bachelor's degree in Design, Graphic design, User experience or similar
5 or more years of experience as a designer
Excellent communications skills
Knowledgeable of the cycling market and use-case
Is an industry expert in user interface and graphical design for mobile
Has experience with design for Web and Android
Excellent project management skills
Familiarity with the Agile and Scrum process
Comfortable working closely with the Agile software teams
Engaged in Agile grooming calls to describe feature design and implementation needs
Ideally familiar with Asana and Atlassian tools including Jira
Ideally proficient with Zeplin, Sketch and After Effects

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Better late than never? Shame they didn't think about doing proper UX work eighteen months ago. Maybe they can get it right in time for Karoo v2?

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 pm

I don't think they're going about it the right way. They don't need a UI/graphic designer with "knowledge of the cycling market and use-case ". They need a cyclist who's also a software developer willing to take on UI improvements as their core function but able to chip in and help with the rest of the development effort to speed things along. Cart before the horse again...

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm

dthempel wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 pm
I don't think they're going about it the right way. They don't need a UI/graphic designer with "knowledge of the cycling market and use-case ". They need a cyclist who's also a software developer willing to take on UI improvements as their core function but able to chip in and help with the rest of the development effort to speed things along. Cart before the horse again...
Disagree. I know lots of people that do exactly what you're talking about. Engineers do not good UX designers make. Not that there aren't some out there that can do both, but typically there's not much crossover. If fact, I've worked as both a product manager and a developer myself. And I've hired someone in to a role that you're describing. He's a bad developer and a great UX designer. I've never met a truly great UX designer whose dev skills are at a level to do things like figure out and fix the problems that the Karoo has, like problems with ANT+, those are the types of bugs that are going to take dedicated devs with very specific experience. Unless those issues are hardware related, then they need more help than this one job posting is going to give them anyway.

As an aside, I just got an invite to the ATG. This could get interesting. Glad I wrote some scripts to reverse the color scheme of their support site, because lord I can't stand that bright white on black background. Messes with my eyes.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:22 am

Agree. UX designers are not engineers in my experience.

But what I'm really worried about is that this is getting pretty darn late in the game to be fooling with this when the cycling season in the EU and US is about to kick off in the next 60 days. This is the time to be banging the drum about what you have not trying to get the basics going. What do we really have to show for a whole year's worth of development?

For me - my Stages power meters still don't work right. The UI is better in a lot of ways but worse in many ways too and we still don't have graphical elements really working correctly (one of the big promises of the Karoo). Still don't have electronic drivetrain support (very hard to believe), reliability is still a giant issue. If this stuff doesn't get fixed like right frigging now, they will have burned a year chasing their proverbial tail. I really want this to succeed but I'm getting more than a little nervous about it.

J.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm

Guess I mis-worded my comment, but whatever... They seem to think the "cycling experience" is secondary. I'm saying that needs to be first. A cyclist understands what should be on the screen and has ideas about how it should be presented. A UI designer wants it to "look pretty" maybe at the expense of actual function. Hopefully they can find the right person. There's enough screen real estate where they can do some cool things, but not enough that they can continue to make the mistakes they're making with spacing, justification, fonts, etc...

That... and it's taking way too long to present anything or iterate. An app or a web interface that allows custom screens might be the best bet.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:55 pm

dthempel wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm
Guess I mis-worded my comment, but whatever... They seem to think the "cycling experience" is secondary. I'm saying that needs to be first. A cyclist understands what should be on the screen and has ideas about how it should be presented. A UI designer wants it to "look pretty" maybe at the expense of actual function. Hopefully they can find the right person. There's enough screen real estate where they can do some cool things, but not enough that they can continue to make the mistakes they're making with spacing, justification, fonts, etc...
Yes. Completely agree.
That... and it's taking way too long to present anything or iterate. An app or a web interface that allows custom screens might be the best bet.
This is, I think this is their most serious problem and it's in the category of "as serious as a heart attack." They have to get something done NOW. Looking back, we're still not where they represented we'd be when the unit was introduced. The largest problems then of sensors issues and reliability are still the forefront issues a year later. They should have been ramping the heck out of the Karoo by now and turning large volume.

There are some things that they need to do proper UI work on - ride initiation, basic controls, mapping etc... And for that, having proper UX design experience on board is key.

I love the idea of a layout editor that's web based with widget style placement and think it is the way to go. Now, that they have alternatively gotten users used to one set of layouts and then completely upended that with a very different set up (although I think it's better), they will never get converging opinions in the user base. Let users design their own and share them - that is going to get the best layouts bubbling to the top at no graphic design cost to Hammerhead. That would be the best of all worlds and keep everyone happy at the same time. It would also be industry leading which aligns with their (probably unrealistic) stated goal of "upending" the industry. Garmin can't do it (or they would have).

Steinello

Post by Steinello » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 am

... I totally agree - they should move several things to the web-interface.
1. A map where you can see what sections are downloaded on the Karoo
I think it's not a great problem to analyse and display the coordinates with frames on the Dashboard.

2. A web-based Formular-designer
I don't need to change my display on the Karoo when I use the Karoo.
I can do this better with my laptop.

3. Management of the planned and done rides
I want to decide what routes I want to take with me.
I want tho choose this on the Dashboard.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Agree. I proposed #3 in the ATG forum. Makes no sense to have all routes downloading to the Karoo. And need some organization like folders or collections on both web and Karoo. A linear list gets tiresome at about 8-10 items.

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 am

Steve wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:26 am
One of the biggest problems is that we have no way to back out releases (unless you're lucky enough to have a rooted Karoo). So once you upgrade you're stuck if you don't like it, waiting for the vague next release in the hope that it'll be better.
Yup. And the worst thing about that is that it's fully intentional :x

cye

Post by cye » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 am

dthempel wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm

I'm a bit late to the party here, but respectfully, while I fully agree that "cycling experience" should be first, I disagree that a good designer will aim for form over function. As a designer myself in fields with similar use-cases, visuals are generally the *last* part of the design process that begins with understanding user needs, product goals, and pain points (though of course, well designed products both look good and work well).

The question is--what will Hammerhead select for in their hiring process?

dwbld11

Post by dwbld11 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm

What a piece of garbage this unit is.....Great idea, but horrible customer service!! No wonder why they are struggling!! I will never purchase another product from Hammerhead!!! They won't be around long anyway!!

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:15 pm

cye wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 am
The question is--what will Hammerhead select for in their hiring process?
Have you applied? Sounds like they could use you! :)

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:12 pm

dwbld11 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm
What a piece of garbage this unit is.....Great idea, but horrible customer service!! No wonder why they are struggling!! I will never purchase another product from Hammerhead!!! They won't be around long anyway!!
That was an informative and useful post. What's up? Perhaps we can be of assistance? Why were you contacting CS?