New release schedule?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Steve
Site Admin

New release schedule?

Post by Steve » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:43 am

Someone asked on the HH forums, quite rightly, about what's happening with the release schedule (the releases every two weeks seem to have fallen apart, but personally I'd rather they take more time to get things right, given the regressions that we keep seeing).

Anyway, Ali from HH said that there's a blog post upcoming on the subject, so look out for that.
The regular software updates will be released to the general public only after it successfully passes the ATG testing. This has been changed so we do not release a major bug to the community. There will be a blog post shared on how the releases are going to be scheduled from now on this year.
I do wonder what "successfully passes" means, since my impression is they don't listen to feedback from the ATG.

Steinello

Re: New release schedule?

Post by Steinello » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:26 pm

... but without involving the ATG-members that make no sense.
... at the moment they deduce the rare information to none information :oops:

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:51 pm

The ATG group didn't get a release last week, so I wouldn't hold your breaths for anything imminent.

I'm not sure it's fair to characterize that they're not listening at all, but I think the timing was such that they didn't get much time to review any reports. I can really only ride on the weekends in the winter, and only then if the stars align and I get a combination of free time and decent weather. If it's bad timing on a release for me, I can't do anything to help with testing before they attempt a release 7 days later. If I report something on Sunday after a ride, that doesn't leave much time. If no one else saw that particular issue, was it just me or was it more widespread and something that needs a fix?

I suggested a while ago that they "leapfrog" the releases if possible and give the ATG *3* weeks. Everyone would get a release every 2 weeks, but they'd be 2 weeks behind. Or they could have two separate groups. I forget what the exact suggestion was, but if they had timed things in a certain way, they could still release bi-weekly but the software would have had potentially three weeks of testing.

Some of the issues of late don't reveal themselves if you can't ride outdoors with a GPS or while following a route. Some didn't reveal themselves until certain time limits were reached. I can't manage much more than an hour on the trainer before going bonkers. The issue with lag and stuck fields -- at last for me -- didn't become problematic until the 50+ minute mark, so I might not have even noticed.

Also, each tester seems to have their own focus and particular areas of interest. Some seem more interested in pointing out UI issues. Some are more about the routing and TbT. Others take a look at the data. Some are generalists, it seems, but maybe miss things due to a lack of particular focus? There's no test plan, so it's up to each ATG member to sort of figure out what they want to do and what they see.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Yeah, I think those reasons are why they are amping up the size of the ATG. I think it's a good idea to run it out to your beta testers, evaluate and then make the release decision. The big downside to this is it is likely to slow down the rate of adding new features and I'm not sure they can tolerate that in terms of market acceptance. In the Northern Hemisphere, we're about a month a way from the season starting in earnest and they don't have a lot to show in terms of features after a winter of work. That's a problem - unless they drop another huge update in the next week or two. We're still short having fixed power meters from some of the main suppliers, no electronic drivetrain support, etc....

Hopefully, they work on recruiting ATG members from the southern hemisphere. Those guys are in full swing riding now and could be giving a lot of feedback. I'm with Doug - my riding is determined by the weather. Right now, it's around -20C here and dropping down to near -30 and maybe close to -40C tonight so no riding at all this week until the earliest this weekend but probably next week sometime. Now, in talking with friends in the Australia, they're in mid season right now going hard at it. Good feedback to be had there.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:43 am

They actually just recently listed a position for hire. A UX designer. Better late than never.

nordog

Post by nordog » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Well done dthempel, you can only do your best & that must massive amount of work on your part, how many of the ATG members do the same as your doing. Thanks for the info etc.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:14 pm

dthempel wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:51 pm
Some of the issues of late don't reveal themselves if you can't ride outdoors with a GPS or while following a route. Some didn't reveal themselves until certain time limits were reached. I can't manage much more than an hour on the trainer before going bonkers. The issue with lag and stuck fields -- at last for me -- didn't become problematic until the 50+ minute mark, so I might not have even noticed.
I've done a couple 2.5+ hour rides on the current firmware without any such issues. In fact, they've probably been the best rides I've had on the dang thing with my power meter. Only 1 or 2 dropouts. I actually used my Karoo file on Strava(!) which I've only done a couple of times because it's always been missing chunks of power data before.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2105107595

That said, I definitely should have calibrated the barometric altimeter at a couple points during the ride. I started and stopped in the same place, but it shows a constant climb starting from like -300 feet, woops.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:34 pm

reggieb wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:14 pm
I've done a couple 2.5+ hour rides on the current firmware without any such issues.
I think I've said as much, but maybe only in my YT videos. Drop-outs are reduced to the point of almost being gone. I still see some "lag" (I think) on the more graphic-intensive screens that seems to get worse over time, but it doesn't *seem* to affect the FIT file.

Altimeter "calibration" is a joke. I just let Strava fix my elevation as I can never remember to preset it and certainly don't adjust it mid-ride.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 am

Well....

Short ride today and complete dropout of all ANT+ sensors after about 25 minutes. Sigh. Looks like the Stages issue has infected the rest of the sensors.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:24 pm

JohnJ80 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 am
Well....

Short ride today and complete dropout of all ANT+ sensors after about 25 minutes. Sigh. Looks like the Stages issue has infected the rest of the sensors.
Did you ever grab the pulldown menu? I did the pulldown a couple weeks back to adjust my screen brightness, and I think some sweat dripping hit the sensor on/off, or I brushed it with my hand. Either way, took me a couple minutes, at first thinking it was a regular dropout before realizing it wasn't coming back. Remembered pulling down that menu, and saw I'd hit the enormous stupid button that turns off all sensor connections in the dropdown menu.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm

No. I was literally riding along looking at the display, hands on the bars, when it did that. I stopped, pulled down the menu which showed the sensors still on, toggled it off and back on again and everything connected again properly.

I sent a file and note to HH. Their response was that I had too many ANT+ sensors enabled and that the short term fix is to only enable the ones I’m using and it should be fine. They are working on a fix now apparently - so that’s good news.

I have the sensors for three bikes paired in my Karoo. Each has 2 and some 3 ANT+ sensors paired with the total being around 8-10 sensors depending on what I’m doing with power meters (BTLE or ANT+).

J.

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 am

JohnJ80 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm
I have the sensors for three bikes paired in my Karoo. Each has 2 and some 3 ANT+ sensors paired with the total being around 8-10 sensors depending on what I’m doing with power meters (BTLE or ANT+).

Code: Select all

struct ANTsensor sensors[8]; /* 640kb ... uh, 8 sensors should be enough for everybody --Bill Garffs, 2019 */

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 am

Psyclist wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 am

Code: Select all

struct ANTsensor sensors[8]; /* 640kb ... uh, 8 sensors should be enough for everybody --Bill Garffs, 2019 */
:D :roll:

Dobbel

Post by Dobbel » Fri May 10, 2019 10:42 am

Hi, is there some news to bring along for the future release to come?

Maybe ATG group can tell the community and provide a sneak peak into the current test-release?

Thanks,
Alexander

Dobbel

Post by Dobbel » Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Nobody?

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 am

Dobbel wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:42 am
Hi, is there some news to bring along for the future release to come?

Maybe ATG group can tell the community and provide a sneak peak into the current test-release?
This is the current ATG release - viewtopic.php?t=820

Others who are in the ATG (like Doug) can comment better than I can, but I highly doubt that HH tells them anything about further future releases.

We do have the software roadmap on the website, but it's so high-level and vague to be next to useless IMHO.