1.21.495.3 update re-downloads (again) offline areas...

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Brad

1.21.495.3 update re-downloads (again) offline areas...

Post by Brad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:50 pm

... causing all offline routes to be queued until that's finished. :roll:

It's getting a little annoying.
Last edited by Brad on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Site Admin

Re: 1.17.424.3 update re-downloads (again) offline areas...

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Mine didn't, but then again on the previous release (1.11.392.3) my offline area did re-download causing all my routes to be queued. Which was a bit of a problem since it only did it right before I was heading off on a ride.

This behaviour seems to be inconsistent though, e.g. not everyone found the same on that previous release, and I'm not finding the same as you on this release.

I'm not surprised though, sadly. It seems to be yet another one of those "HH developers don't understand how their own device works" kind of things. That's certainly the impression that I got to the very vague answers to my support ticket when I had this problem.

dthempel
Site Admin

Re: 1.17.424.3 update re-downloads (again) offline areas...

Post by dthempel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:51 pm

I don't believe the doubled sample rate was ever noted to the ATG users. Or was ever in the previous notes? My Karoo is a unreliable paperweight right now and it's too heavy to race 'cross with. Now that that season is done (for me), I might start using it again, but only if New England weather cooperates for outdoor riding... or I move somewhere warm. :P

Brad

Re: 1.21.495.3 update re-downloads (again) offline areas...

Post by Brad » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:02 pm

1.21.495.3 : I have to wait again for the Karoo to (re)download the offline maps and routes... :cry:

And the damn process is extraordinarily slow despite my 300 Mb/s fiber-optic internet connection... Exasperating :evil:

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:20 pm

It's incredibly annoying when it does a forced re-download, particularly if you have lots of offline areas (or just a large one) and/or lots of offline routes. Once mine was fine straight after an upgrade, but just before going out for a club ride *then* it decided to re-download everything. And it's not easy to stop it once it gets started. It's a terrible design, like so many things on Karoo not properly thought through (or tested) for the consequences.

Brian

Post by Brian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:03 am

Too heavy to race cross with? Seriously? Between rider, bike, clothing and water, you are probably moving 95,000 grams. But your 100 gram Karoo is keeping you off the podium? Mind boggling assessment...

There are all sorts of reasons to pick on the Karoo. I have a ton of them. But too heavy to race with? I guess if you and Froome are going for a stage win on the Galibier, then maybe, and only maybe, does the weight of your device matter. But if you think your device is slowing you down during some local Sunday afternoon cross race, you may want to find another hobby.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:39 am

Brian wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:03 am
Too heavy to race cross with? Seriously? Between rider, bike, clothing and water, you are probably moving 95,000 grams. But your 100 gram Karoo is keeping you off the podium? Mind boggling assessment...
I think you misunderstand. I'm pretty sure that Doug isn't talking about the weight penalty. He's talking about the bouncing around it will get in a cross race, and Karoo's propensity to snap its mount foot (because of its weight).

Brian

Post by Brian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Then may I offer my sincerest apologies to Doug. My bad.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Brian wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm
Then may I offer my sincerest apologies to Doug. My bad.
The only thing keeping me off podiums in 'cross races is my own fitness and ability. I do it for fun. I'm well aware of my limitations and expectations. The point was that the Karoo is extra bulky and unstable and there's no mount that I can trust with the added weight and its propensity to break. That said, I'm on my third Garmin for similar reasons (broken mount feet). I race 'cross using only my watch now to (hopefully) avoid broken tech. I keep the breaking of stuff to me and the occasional bike part.