Titaniumgeek Karoo review

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Brad

Titaniumgeek Karoo review

Post by Brad » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:25 pm

https://titaniumgeek.com/hammerhead-kar ... -computer/

As a product to buy today… in all honesty, apart from the screen, the Hammerhead Karoo is an “also ran” device. It doesn’t currently push the envelope. The vast list of features plan for Android updates is terrific; the fact that core things like Strava Segments are absent is not.

[...]

If you are looking for a new GPS, want a terrific screen, and are happy knowing you own an evolving device, the Karoo is going to keep you very happy. If you are buying for today, however, maybe it is a tougher choice

JohnJ80

Re: Titaniumgeek Karoo review

Post by JohnJ80 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 am

I thought it was a fair review. I don’t think you were entirely fair to the review by snipping what you did. Here’s the whole conclusion:
As an opening shot at the big players in the world of the cycling GPS, the Hammerhead Karoo is a good effort and screams potential. Currently, it is easy to use, it’s battery is great, I found the 10hr predication a little conservative with the screen brightness down, and wifi off. The screen is stellar, please other manufactures, if you must do coloured LCD (and see Wahoo why that isn’t needed) the Hammerhead Karoo now should be your benchmark

The real ace up the sleeve/and Achilles heel is the future. Looking at the price of the Hammerhead Karoo currently, ‘Limited time discount’ from $499 (~£380) down to $399 (~£303). Reflects the fact that the device is still undergoing a period of rapid development. As a product to buy today… in all honesty, apart from the screen, the Hammerhead Karoo is an “also ran” device. It doesn’t currently push the envelope. The vast list of features plan for Android updates is terrific; the fact that core things like Strava Segments are absent is not.

The Hammerhead Karoo is currently a firm TG 3/5 device. But it has a lot of promise and the potential due to it’s Android OS to evolve quickly. If you are looking for a new GPS, want a terrific screen, and are happy knowing you own an evolving device, the Karoo is going to keep you very happy. If you are buying for today, however, maybe it is a tougher choice

(Just to clarify, I would have bestowed a slim 4/5 if Strava Segments had been present, and if Bluetooth were present including hands-free, we’d be a strong 4/5, bordering a 5. Definitely a product and company to watch)
Possibly the old saw about how smart someone is can be judged by the extent to which he agrees with you may apply here to me, but he hits the key points albeit sometimes in a roundabout way - HH needs to leverage the display, the android OS (app store in particular), and the cellular modem. That done, it’s class leading device. That not done, it’s where it is now and just one in the pack. So, as we have all been saying for sometime - the bet is whether HH get the job done or not.

I don’t think his criticism about Strava is correct. It’s a problem created by Strava that is being worked out industry wide right now.