Bad news about battery drain...

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
dthempel
Site Admin

Bad news about battery drain...

Post by dthempel » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:48 pm

The below means that anyone *not* in the ATG is going to wait at least 3 weeks for the battery "fix". This is assuming the ATG members don't find any show-stoppers two weeks from now...

-----
Hello ATG Members,

We've got some big updates on the horizon for you. With that in mind, we won't be sending a software release out today. We ask you to please bear with us as our team takes a little extra time to focus on making some really impactful changes, and to address the battery life issues affecting Karoos since the most recent update. The next Advanced Testing Group release will be available in two weeks, on December 13.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience and support as we address this issue.

JohnJ80

Re: Bad news about battery drain...

Post by JohnJ80 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:29 pm

I'm ok with that provided they do something meaningful. Seems to me the two week sprint cycle might be more about getting the next thing out instead of getting it right. Adding stupid stuff like sunset time is just a sop to make sure everyone is happy new things are being added. I have come to the realization that the HH software team is much more of an application development team instead of a real time/embedded development group. Embedded is where a lot of the big problems are now - power drain, bluetooth, etc.... So if it gives them more time to get things right instead of putting together the build to ship out every two weeks, I'm good with that.

I also can see where fixing the screen formatting (which they had promised) is kind of a big one. That could be pretty involved if they are to do it right - graphical editor on the dashboard which works with the simplistic on board editor and dealing with all of the UI that is going to be pulled into that.

J.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Is this what they meant at road.cc when they said "the pace of development is quick"?

Perhaps they were talking about the speed of breaking things?

nnovod

Post by nnovod » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:15 am

I don't mind them taking the time to get things right. What I think is bad is that they keep doing these 2-week sprints where they don't get things right. 2 weeks is simply too short a time for a release. ATG testing alone should be for at least two weeks.

Also, they should provide a way to roll back a release.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:16 am

Steve wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:01 pm
Is this what they meant at road.cc when they said "the pace of development is quick"?

Perhaps they were talking about the speed of breaking things?
It can be quick when you’re going in circles.

RustedRoot

Post by RustedRoot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:24 pm

HH's overreach has been going on for 10 months now. With every update that fixes/introduces something, another otherwise-working item breaks. It's a recurring pattern. At what point do you conclude its development team is not up to the task, and more importantly, may never be?

Some of you know that I divorced my device over a month ago and moved on to something (ROX 12) that works as it should. No more frustration and I'm completely removed from making excuses for Hammerhead's continuous disappointments and management's inability to recognize reality, i.e. demonstrate honesty. It's always about "big updates on the horizon for you... with some really impactful changes..," which inevitably disappoint.

IMO, road.cc's review was a hack job.

There is a rewarding life after Karoo for serious cyclists.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:20 pm

I've finally asked for my aging Garmin 510 back from a friend who borrowed it. She's currently using her phone and didn't seem interested in figuring it out, so I'm getting it back this week. Not sure if I'll go back to double-recording or just put the Karoo on the shelf hoping beyond a reasonable hope that something will eventually click at HH HQ and make things magically better.

I'm considering eBay, although prices are bad and I'm not inclined to take the loss. Although at this point, maybe getting anything back for it would be a "win"? Probably hung on too long...

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 pm

I’m fairly optimistic they should be able to find the problem. Should be simple to record the current and voltage coming out of the battery as they try various software changes.

But this is where I’m concerned - I’m not confident that they have adequate hardware or software engineering capability to do this. Looking at resumes on their web site does not fill one with confidence.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm not really concerned with battery life right now. I don't ride for 3+ hours (particularly in winter). I posted about the battery to let folks know about the delay in the next release.

What I *AM* concerned about is the data loss, lag, etc. combined with the battery issues and the continued appearance that these guys don't know what cyclists want and need in a device (i.e., sunset times, etc.).

I can live with having to plug the device in to charge every time I use it. I can't live with losing data after 50 minutes of riding. I'm not a pro, nor a very good amateur, but I do want my data recorded accurately and consistently for purposes of my own fitness tracking and the ability to setup plans and workouts to try to make improvements or find weaknesses. I can't trust the Karoo to do that right now.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Completely agree. If they can’t capture data reliably, they don’t have a product.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:49 pm

nnovod wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:15 am
I don't mind them taking the time to get things right. What I think is bad is that they keep doing these 2-week sprints where they don't get things right. 2 weeks is simply too short a time for a release. ATG testing alone should be for at least two weeks.

Also, they should provide a way to roll back a release.
It's not too short if you have a mature QA team with tons of automated regression tests that can be run quickly. I suspect they do not, and they're trying to do too much for a small young team. These are growing pains. I hope they push through, because the Karoo has a lot of promise. I'm not at all disappointed with my purchase....though I got mine for less than $200 shipped off eBay. It'd be a different story at full price.

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with battery life or with lost data. Maybe I'm just lucky...