Battery problems

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Steve
Site Admin

Battery problems

Post by Steve » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Anyone else having battery problems since the 1.11.392.3 update?

Several have reported prematurely dying batteries on the HH forums. I just did one of my usual length club rides, and instead of the 50% battery that I normally have left, my Karoo is reporting 1% left. But I don't believe it's really 1%, because I rebooted the Karoo, left it for a few minutes, and it's still saying 1%. So no idea if it's nearly dead and is just hanging on, or the battery report has gone haywire.

I've opened a support ticket with HH on this.

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Battery problems

Post by Steve » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:49 pm

HH have got back to me already. On a Sunday? I'm impressed.

Seems like there are two issues - one is an erroneous 1% battery remaining reading (my Karoo is still reading 1% of battery left over an hour after it last said so). The second is Bluetooth draining the battery after the last update - something to do with them using it for headphones.

I thought my BT was turned off anyway (did the last update turn it back on?), but I've turned it off now because I don't need BT since all my sensors are ANT+.

Edit - looks like the 1% was wrong, but the battery really was quite low because it finally died, and is currently being recharged.

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:24 am

I just completed my first ride with that version yesterday. 6h with 3 ANT+ sensors, BT on all the time (I had a BT headset connected for navigation for about 2-3h) but WiFi off and cellular only for an hour. Finished with 34%. Hope it doesn't hit me later ...

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Mine drained mysteriously overnight the other day, but I figured I had left location or something on. I typically sleep mine and don't shut it off, which is my bad, I guess...

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:04 pm

I think this is a big problem. HH has struggled with meeting the 10hr battery claim all along but this is a big step down.

They are talking that it’s related to the new BT control panel being installed and that the Karoo is listening for a headphone connection. I don’t buy that because I sideloaded a BT control panel before they installed theirs and it didn’t do what it’s doing now. They didn’t add audio support they just added a control panel.

I really think that the level of their software devs are pretty much at the application programming level and have little real time or embedded system programming experience. They really struggle anytime they have to get in and control hardware or do real time processes. One like to think that they’d know the internals of this thing like the back of their hand and there would be little mystery to the android inner workings at this point. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to be the case. They have been working with the same hardware stack for more than a year now.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:32 pm

I've noticed that, annoyingly, if you long press on the Sensors icon in the swipe-down notification shade, it turns BT on. This is what turned my BT on the other day (I had erroneously assumed it was the last update itself).

Franklin was trying to defend this to me as the new expected behaviour. I told him (politely) that that was basically nonsense, because this isn't even a BT icon it's a sensor icon (i.e. ANT+ too), and why would you want it to switch BT on? In Android normally a long-press will take you into the settings for something, and a short press will toggle it on/off.

I'm going for a ride tomorrow and will see if having the BT off makes any difference, and if I get the massive drain again.