TrainerRoad

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Simonicusfacilis

TrainerRoad

Post by Simonicusfacilis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Greetings fellow sufferers.. Has anyone sideloaded TrainerRoad?

Am thinking of giving it a go this weekend as I am into the indoor season now and the unit is basically idle on my shelf since the summer. I saw the ANT+ stack was updated in the last build so it might work. Would save me booting my ancient pain cave PC every morning. If it did work I could get rid of the PC and put in an extra fan instead!

Si

JohnJ80

Re: TrainerRoad

Post by JohnJ80 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Yes. It works. Ket Pang on the Facebook group sideloaded Trainerroad onto the Karoo and ran it. He and I have been kind of working through the ANT+ details. The new ANT+ stack is the standard ANT+ stack and it’s compliant with the android drivers and not the one-off stack they were using before.

If you want to sideload apps onto the Karoo, I have set up a Github project that has detail on how this works - it’s pretty simple. Here’s the link to the Wiki that explains how it works.

https://github.com/JohnJ80/Karoo-App-Sideloading/wiki

J.

Simonicusfacilis

Post by Simonicusfacilis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Cheers John,

Thought you might have. Your Wiki is a God send. Many thanks.

Si

Scummer

Post by Scummer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:44 pm

I have side loaded Trainerroad for about two weeks now. But the problem in my setup, it's very laggy and I don't know why.
Sometimes the timer and the sensor numbers like power, heart rate, cadence is stuck for up to 30 seconds and then it continues but pretty much right away stutters again.
I have turned off all the other applications, like the Karoo app and all the apps that go with the normal Karoo. So only trainer road runs on the Karoo, but no change.
I wonder, if anyone else has a better experience with the side loaded trainer road.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:24 pm

If you’re on the FB page, get in touch with Ket Pang. He’s done it and from what I understand, it works pretty well.

J,

Simonicusfacilis

Post by Simonicusfacilis » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:06 am

Scummer,

Are you using BT or ANT+? I found BT to be unusable with TR for my setup. I tried it with my tablet and it was just as you described it. I then got the ANT+ adapter for an old PC and all is good.

Scummer

Post by Scummer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:48 pm

I have ANT+ only enabled on my Karoo. My powermeter can do BT as well... but since all my other sensors are ANT+ as well and the sensor info for the power meter like battery status can only be seen with the ANT+ protocol, I opted to use that.
So, I close all apps on the Karoo, turn off the sensors in the slide down menu. Then I start Trainerroad on the Karoo. So far everything looks good.
But once I start the workout and the training graph starts scrolling, it starts to act very laggy. Almost unusable.

Simonicusfacilis

Post by Simonicusfacilis » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:03 am

Alright I managed to get it loaded too. So an update: Johns Wiki is the biz but a couple of things I had problems with. I am using a PC and not a Mac. I loaded the developers studio but it didn't come with the Android Developers Bridge. It's a lovely package and I shall play with it but I don't think you need it. You just need the platform tools with ADB. Took me a while to work that out. Second issue was that the Karoo was not visible to ADB. It had a generic MTP driver so windows could see it ok but adb could not. Eventually I got a USB driver cleaner and swept away years of drivers. I then installed a general android bridge driver and that got the 'adb devices' command to report the Karoo. I installed the loader and APKpure as per Johns advice. However APKpure seems to have some database issues. When I tried to use it to install trainerroad and a couple of other apps. It didn't work at all. The buttons just went non responsive and there were no error messages. I eventually worked out that there must be a problem with the app images at APKpure, you can't even download them from the website. Fortunately you can still use ADB to install them once you get the APK. It took a lot less time to write this than to solve the problems so after a lot of faffing about I got TR up and running.

This morning I ran a ride. It went about as bad a scummers if not worse. I am using a Tacx Neo and a Tickr both in ANT+. When it started, the app started controlling the power on the Neo. All good so far I thought. There were in-ride instructions. However these were being truncated on the Karoo and suffered random font size shifts. So completely useless. I then noticed that, as scummer noted, that the time was ticking over in random intervals. Updating about every 3 or 4 seconds. As I paid more attention I could see that the power control was equally laggy. Then after 12 or 13 minutes into the ride it dropped out altogether and when I restarted the power had gone. Then just after that it froze and I had to begin the ride again back on my PC.

I shall toss this up on the TR forum too and see if there are any bites.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:32 am

Indeed, you definitely don't need the whole Android Studio for developers. All you need are the Android Platform Tools at https://developer.android.com/studio/re ... form-tools

As you say, it can be an issue to get the right device driver to make your Karoo show up. Normally trying one or two other adb drivers (just Google for them) will do the trick.

Steinello

Post by Steinello » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 pm

... I also had a strange behaviour with the APKpure App-Store - I had to reinstall APKpure.
... but I think the main problem was that the apps hadn´t all required permissions.