Update November 8th: Build 1.8.364.3

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Steinello

Update November 8th: Build 1.8.364.3

Post by Steinello » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 pm

... the new update is out:
https://blog.hammerhead.io/software-rel ... 93759956d9

... and they give a little look forward to future improvements ;)

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Update November 8th: Build 1.8.364.3

Post by Steve » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Interesting that they say:
You might notice a change in the release version number, from 1.5.x.3 to 1.8.x.3. This simply represents internal updates to our release management processes, rather than a significant customer-facing change.

Why didn't they just say "Oops we forgot to increment the version number in the last (big) release, so we're correcting that now"?

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm

For the second update in a row, after it's updated and rebooted, my Karoo is almost non-functional. It's incredibly slow to respond to any screen presses. I can see it's very busy on the wifi (judging from the icon and its arrows), so I'm not sure if it's re-downloading everything (routes and offline areas like last time). I'll leave it for a while and hopefully it'll sort itself out.

Is it just me or are others having this problem?

Brian

Post by Brian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Just performed update over 100Mbps home WiFi. Stats:

Update: 4 minutes
Verify: 1 minute
Install: 5 minutes
Reboot: 30 seconds

Karoo was extremely responsive upon completion of update. All Routes, Activities and Offline Maps are perfect - surprisingly.

Now... Whether my TbT works tomorrow will be a different matter...

RossA

Post by RossA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:33 pm

I had no issues on install either. Very quick to start up. I have very few routes / maps stored on the device itself which may be part of the reason it doesn’t affect me.

Also must say that I used my device by itself in France today. TbT worked flawlessly and guided me around the full route without any problems.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:01 pm

I had the problem again today at a very inconvenient time. I was just starting my ride outside the back of the house, but I found that there was only one route showing up instead of the lots that are usually on there. I checked and it was doing the same as it did immediately after the previous update - re-downloading my offline area and queuing up all my routes for offline download again. This wasn't what I needed, because that was going to take quite a long time.

I deleted the offline area, and un-set the "available offline" toggle for all but the route that I needed. After several minutes it sorted itself out and downloaded the one route that I needed, and then it was fine.

I'll be raising a support ticket with HH on this. I suspect that it is connected with the fact that I have 61 routes on my Karoo. This of course shouldn't be a problem, but it is.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:38 pm

I only store the routes I’m going to be using in the next interval (day, trip, week etc...) in the dashboard. I find it very difficult to scroll through more than about 10 routes on the Karoo. There needs to be some sort of folder arrangement or pinning arrangement. So I keep all my routes in either RWGPS, Strava or Dynamic.watch and move them to the dashboard when I will use them. For example, we’re flying south to ride for a week and I’ll download those routes to my Karoo and nothing else for that trip.

The upside of that is there is never much required to re-download after an update, reset or log in.

I really wish it were possible to download an entire region into the Karoo like a state or country and just leave it there.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm

I raised a support ticket with HH for my problems (my device re-downloading routes and offline areas on its own).

Ali came back to me and said that apparently after an updates the routes do go back into "Queued" state momentarily but then switch back to available offline. My problem seems to have been the offline area re-downloading, which isn't supposed to happen. He said this seems to be a Mapbox bug and will be fixed in their "update to Mapbox 6". He also went on to say that next week's update should help, but I've gone back to him to ask whether he's talking about two fixed (with Mapbox 6 further off), or one.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Looks like the Mapbox update is coming in next week's release (this week for ATG users).

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 pm

I just did a ride with the new ATG update. I’m not sure how I tell that the mapping software has been updated. I did have to download all my routes and areas again - which is a pain.

FWIW, though TBT worked flawlessly for just about the first time ever for me.

J