Problems with download of offline maps and routes

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Peterdbaldwin1

Problems with download of offline maps and routes

Post by Peterdbaldwin1 »

I contacted HH re the constant problem of downloading offline maps and routes since the last update. Please see the e-mail trail below

Franklin Prince (Hammerhead)
Mar 12, 11:47 EDT

Hi Peter,

I am so sorry to hear that! Hope you are doing well.

We noticed this, too, on some devices after we released a recent update. We're working on a correction now and should have it resolved by the time the next update is released.

Please try a reboot or a factory reset to resolve this issue temporarily for now.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,
Franklin
Hammerhead

Peterdbald
Peterdbaldwin1
Mar 9, 11:35 EST

I’m getting consistent Server Error when attempting to download offline maps and routes to my Karoo. This wasn’t the case prior to the latest update
Brian

Re: Problems with download of offline maps and routes

Post by Brian »

Don't feel too badly, Peter, as I have YET to be able to successfully download a single offline map. I was working this problem with Franklin until he punted me to Jon Morgan.

When I go to add a map, I can select the area, name the map and watch the download status go from 0% to 100%. The map then appears in the list. The weird thing is that the free storage space NEVER changes, no matter how many maps I add. If the maps are truly downloaded, I should be able to turn off WiFi and see the map I downloaded, but I can't. Jon gave me a big "hmmmmmm" in his last email and said he'd get back to me. He suggested they might have to ship me a replacement unit. Crickets...

So when I say that my "finest connected cycling computer on earth" is not even as good as my old Garmin Edge 500, I am dead serious.

Brian
Peterdbaldwin1

Re: Problems with download of offline maps and routes

Post by Peterdbaldwin1 »

Hi Brian, I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that it’s gonna be a long time, if at all, that HH can give us something vaguely resembling the marketing hype. The current screen functionality and appearance of the screen info just doesn’t look like the photos shown in the marketing. The maps are poor, don’t download, and the auto pause.....don’t get me going! Surely, many of these problems were pre existing the release of the product to us? The clock is ticking rapidly for HH.......they are gonna get eaten alive by Garmin pretty rapidly.

I was thinking about the scenario when Stages power meters were first released - the difference is that Stages had an accurate product but the build quality wasn’t quite there (waterproofing etc). They rectified that and gave done good business. They also have excellent customer service. HH have a soundly built unit which is inaccurate and unreliable.......people won’t tolerate that