Karoo first impressions

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
reggieb

Karoo first impressions

Post by reggieb » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Well, I took my first ride of any consequence this morning with my brand new (to me) Karoo. I am not new to cycling, but I've been off the bike and running for a few years now. This was essentially my 3rd or 4th ride in enough time that I was completely untrained again. I did just get a new power meter, though. I don't think I've seen mention of anyone using a Powerbeat, I've got a G3 left-only unit, and it seems to work pretty well with the Karoo.

I rode this morning with my Garmin Edge 810 in my jersey pocket, my Forerunner 645 on my wrist, and the Karoo mounted front and center. I do really like the Karoo's display. And it seems to be accurate enough that I could use it in place of the Edge if it would just zero my power meter, but that's coming (allegedly). But still, while I have some thoughts, I'll probably hold off on most complaints (which are honestly minor so far) until I've gotten to know the unit better. For the time, I thought I'd do a quick comparison between the Karoo and the Edge 810's data from the ride.
MetricKarooEdge 810
Ride Time1:26:101:27:28
Moving Time1:26:101:26:20
Average Speed16.115.9 (Average moving speed)
Max Speed21.320.8
Average Cadence8585
Max Cadence148148
Average Power157153
Nominal (Normalized) Power173172
Strava Weighted Average power169166
Max Power1306935
Average Heart Rate143142
TSS10726.7
IF.9.429
Strava Training Load103100
So, my comments and questions would be as follows:

So I guess Ride time is moving time? In Strava they show as the same from the Karoo, so I guess it doesn't differentiate between a total elapsed and moving time?

I'll take that 1300W! But I don't think it's correct...

TSS and IF must be in different units or something, as the nubmers are pretty far off.

I was really surprised to see normalized power have a bigger difference after importing the data to Strava (from 1W to 3W). But most of the data is basically identical

I have to do a bit of reading around to see what could be done, but I'd love to be able to change the layout of the data pages. Some of the items on my data pages would look better if they were stacked next to each other instead of all of them being full width. Also, the GPS showed me riding off in the ditch to the right of the road for most of the ride, which wasn't correct. This was true on the nav screen during the ride, and shows up in the dashboard after the ride, so that's too bad.

But I really loved how well the navigation worked. So much better than the implementation in the Edge 810, which is crazy given that GPS turn by turn has been a big part of the Garmin business for so long, but there it is.

Funny side note, having loaded the two rides up in Strava, if I view flybys, it shows my two computers as fly-bys of each other. Except the "Correlation score" of the rides is only 83...which seems really odd. However, watching the playback, it does show the Edge ever so slightly behind throughout the ride, which is correct since the Karoo was mounted up front on my bars, while the Edge was in my back jersey pocket.

reggieb

Re: Karoo first impressions

Post by reggieb » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:52 am

Did a 35 mile ride with the karoo yesterday. Unlike my first ride I needed navigation and for some reason I received no cues at all the entire ride. I am pretty sure I had them enabled, because the menu showed the option to disable them. It was definitely annoying to have to follow the map, but on the plus side, the GPS really outperformed the 810 on this ride.

I live in a pretty challenging area, with tons of tree cover. My phone loses its GPS reception all the time. The Karoo still shows me riding in the ditch instead of the road, but I think the Karoo still outperformed the Garmin...slightly:

Edge:

Karoo in the same area (apologies that one is sat and the other isn't, but you can get the idea):

Edge:

Karoo (Note that the gap in the out and back is correct - there is a large tree covered median between the two directions of travel):

Edge:

Karoo:

These are the most egregious sections of the Edge 810's track, but the Karoo shows nothing even approaching that level of nastiness anywhere in its track. The Garmin had me riding in rivers and ponds all over the place. The Karoo shows me a bit off the side of the road and path, but it sticks pretty close. In terms of total distance, they were a bit off of each other on this ride. I think it's down to auto-pausing, but the Edge had me at 34.95 miles, the Karoo at 35.9 - which my watch also had me at. I don't have auto pause enabled on the Karoo, nor on my watch, and it was at 35.85 - the Edge was auto-pausing I think, hence the difference. Average power, speed, cadence, etc. was all spot on between them. Minus the inability to zero the power meter, I think the Karoo is actually doing a better job for me. And while the lack of nav cues was annoying, my Edge doesn't give me those either, so it's a bit of a wash there.