Dashboard Elevation Errors

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Brian

Dashboard Elevation Errors

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:20 pm

I just imported a route from Ride with GPS (RWG) into Dashboard. The RWGPS route is 37.7 miles with 3,122 feet of climbing. I'm familiar with the route, so the vertical climb number of ~3,100 is pretty spot on.

When I import this into Dashboard, the 37.7 miles in dead on, but the vertical climb shows as 4,754 feet! That a 50% increase from RWG. This is absolutely wrong. I see this elevation discrepancy with almost every RWG route I import into Dashboard AND with the ones (although these are rare) that I create in Dashboard.

There are even huge elevation discrepancies between a Dashboard route and a Dashboard activity resulting from riding and recording the same route.

Is anyone else seeing these crazy elevation errors?

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Dashboard Elevation Errors

Post by Steve » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:34 pm

I usually see an increase from RWGPS to the Dashboard, yes. But it's more like a 15% increase that I see, roughly, which I've just put down to the fact that measuring elevation gain via maps is kinda tough and there isn't an overall standard for it (different elevation basemaps, problems with measuring the elevation on a map at a bridge, etc).

Your discrepancies sound a lot bigger than mine though.

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Dashboard Elevation Errors

Post by Steve » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:20 am

Looking at my ride from yesterday, I wonder if the Dashboard may be closer to reality than RWGPS. Because when I've done the ride, the figures reported by my Garmin/Strava are higher than that from RWGPS. Of course it's difficult to tell which is correct, unless you do an actual survey of the whole route to determine the exact elevation gain.

I think it's all down to different basemaps, and it's impossible to tell which ones are more accurate.