Which mount???

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
DBoutens

Which mount???

Post by DBoutens » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Fellow Karoo-users. I broke my bracket foot for the second time last week :(. I'm waiting for the newly designed bracket foot. But the Barfly mount is not OK for me, Karoo sits very loose in it (it doesn't click in it either). So my question is : Which mount is the best for the Karoo??? Thanks in advance :D

drisotope

Re: Which mount???

Post by drisotope » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Zero issues with K-Edge XL. Though my Karoo never had any issues with the Barfly. I just prefer the K-Edge (can quarter-turn from either direction, no rubber shim needed for the bars.)

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 pm

If you haven't already, I would contact HH and request a new Barfly. If you're on the second bracket foot, it sounds like there's a mold problem with your Barfly. Failing that, contact Barly directly. They have a lifetime warranty, although I don't know how that would work with it being bundled in since you didn't actually 'buy' the mount...

DBoutens

Post by DBoutens » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Great idea

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:54 am

They might also be able to just send you a replacement connector for the Barfly side since those are also replaceable without having to replace the whole thing. Should be some options.

DBoutens

Post by DBoutens » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Used the K-edge yesterday. Very good!!! Feels tight.

GarethSargeant

Post by GarethSargeant » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:31 am

I use the K-Edge Aero mount on my road bike. On Monday I hit a bump in the road and broke the bracket foot of the Karoo.

Previously I had broken the plastic insert on the K-Edge after another jarring city ride. Luckily I had another K-Edge to borrow the insert from while I waited on a replacement order (I bought 2 just in case)

I already have a bracket foot replacementon its way so hopefully things will be back to normal before too long.

atmasphere

Post by atmasphere » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:59 am

I use the Enve mount which is the only thing that actually works with my bar (Enve SES Aero). The Karoo fits nice and tight in there ...

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:48 pm

I question whether "nice and tight" is too tight. With the added weight of the Karoo, I think this isn't just the bracket foot, but some combination of foot, mount, and road/ride condition causing the failures.

atmasphere

Post by atmasphere » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:04 pm

By tight I just meant there is no wobble which is what I'm going for ... I've used the barfly on rental bikes and it's been solid as well.

My karoo has taken one fall after ripping out of the Formmount which cracked on the inside. Karoo has a nice road patina and did separate when it dropped but works fine otherwise.

nordog

Post by nordog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm

I did the GWR ride yesterday over the Mendips Cheddar area etc 39 mph down some hills over very rough lanes with cattle grids that also had flood debary from sand to gravel with stones Karoo foot still intact as is the Barfly on my Claud Butler racing bikes bars, the only problem I had was the dreaded dropping of the Barfly for the camp is way to big in diameter, I have tape as packing and tape over it but with all the thumping me and the bike took it drooped.
I just can't break anything when it is on my bikes.

nordog

Post by nordog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Now watching the Cycling Tour de France stage 9 after Richy Portes fall, how come their computers don't keep breaking of, how come mine has never broken?