Mount attachment karoo broken

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
jhnbssll

Re: Mount attachment karoo broken

Post by jhnbssll »

I posted these on facebook:
2018-04-26_23h41_19.png
2018-04-26_23h41_19.png (916.91 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
2018-04-27_09h25_04.png
2018-04-27_09h25_04.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 5401 times
Designing plastic mouldings really isn't rocket science (I know - I do it for a living!) - there are a few 'golden rules' that, if followed, give you a pretty good chance of getting good results. Unfortunately whomever designed the base plate has ignored them - or equally plausible their tooling supplier has missed bits off and it's gone unnoticed.

I did tag Caffery Garff in my initial facebook post but perhaps it would be a good idea for someone with a failed base plate who is already in contact with <HH> to forward them my suggestions? I'm not interested in taking credit, moreso in getting Karoo users (myself included) a reliable mounting system.

jhnbssll

Post by jhnbssll »

Interestingly it seems they've not even bothered with date codes, cavity ID's or recycle codes :?

If someone showed me that moulding at work I'd assume it was either a) off a prototype tool or b) from an initial tool trial, typically several months before production parts are moulded...

manfred2327

Post by manfred2327 »

I’m still waiting on a new barfly mount (14 days) which HH said they would send And 5 days on a new bracket foot mount where one of the lips broke. As I say still waiting. The only response I get is they are SWAMPED with requests which tells you HH has a problem with the mount and bracket foot. :o

nordog

Post by nordog »

jhnbssll if your into this as a living how about getting your design in and making some for us all I'm sure most would buy them. Come to think about it I might just get some Araldite and fill in most of the cavity.

jhnbssll

Post by jhnbssll »

Even the cheapest aluminium injection mould tool would likely be in the region of £5k, I'd need to sell an awful lot of them to get my money back :lol:

A few people are talking about 3D printing them - my printers aren't up to the job, the parts simply wouldn't be strong enough. I know of several suppliers that could print far stronger parts for us but we'd be looking at a minimum of £20-30 per part I would guess and even then they likely wouldn't be as good as a moulded part with good geometry. Unfortunately the best option for strength and cost is to try and insure <HH> modify their mould tool and produce good parts to send to all existing customers. It's not likely to be quick though...

Can you send them my ideas if you're already in contact with them? I would very much hope they're already on it but then I also hoped they'd get them right first time round, or at least find the failure during testing... :|

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

jhnbssll wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:32 pm
...during testing... :|
Yeah... about that...

nordog

Post by nordog »

Steve will do that jhnbssll I get confused and forget things these days.

nnovod

Post by nnovod »

jhnbssll, I put in a question yesterday for their facebook Q&A about whether or not they could create a new mount attachment based on your design. Everyone, feel free to vote it up and maybe they'll answer: currently 3rd question from the bottom at https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... r-5-3-2018

drisotope

Post by drisotope »

While I'm sure <HH> will work on fixing the mount issues, I've decided to be proactive. I'm milling out an aluminum adapter to fill the existing hole, and have ordered a Dog Ears GPS aluminum quarter turn mount, rather than trying to duplicate the mount myself. I'd rather just spend the 20 bucks. Hope to have it finished over the weekend, but I'm working slowly. My Karoo doesn't wiggle in the K-Edge mount at all.

I also HIGHLY recommend the G-SAVR tether-- very slick, fits perfectly.

rorymcadams

Post by rorymcadams »

You guys think this would work as a replacement?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3273702318

It’s aluminum

Steve Donovan

Post by Steve Donovan »

drisotope wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:37 am
My Karoo doesn't wiggle in the K-Edge mount at all.
My Karoo also 'wiggles' in the included barfly mount - I take it the mount wiggle is unfortunately normal ?

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

Steve Donovan wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 pm
My Karoo also 'wiggles' in the included barfly mount - I take it the mount wiggle is unfortunately normal ?
Sounds like either the fit-and-finish of the "foot" or the Barfly mounts is inconsistent. Mine is pretty tight, but doesn't exactly snap in. Someone, I think, mentioned using a rubber band around the round part of the foot? It might take some of the slop out of the connection? NOTE: I have not tried this myself.

I would think that movement in the mount would contribute to possible breakage of the "ears", but that's speculation. Garmins have this problem, too, but usually (in my experience) with rather hard falls. I recommend using the tether to the securest point you can get it around. For many, that's only the Barfly, which is less than ideal. Others have posted links to aftermarket tethers which would allow you to get them around the bars instead.

jhnbssll

Post by jhnbssll »

Mine doesnt wiggle in any of the 3 mounts I use, one of which is the barfly that came with it.

Pleased to see the questions have been posed to the HH team, looking forward to hearing what they have to say about it in the coming days 8-)

bigfloor

Post by bigfloor »

dthempel wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:32 pm
Steve Donovan wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 pm
Sounds like either the fit-and-finish of the "foot" or the Barfly mounts is inconsistent. Mine is pretty tight, but doesn't exactly snap in. Someone, I think, mentioned using a rubber band around the round part of the foot? It might take some of the slop out of the connection? NOTE: I have not tried this myself.

I would think that movement in the mount would contribute to possible breakage of the "ears", but that's speculation. Garmins have this problem, too, but usually (in my experience) with rather hard falls. I recommend using the tether to the securest point you can get it around. For many, that's only the Barfly, which is less than ideal. Others have posted links to aftermarket tethers which would allow you to get them around the bars instead.

Today, on a ride in Mallorca, I put some electrical tape on the ' wings' of the mount part of my Karoo. That made it fit really snug with the Barfly. No rattling or shaking. Worked great as a temporary bushfix, and illustrates your comment: mount is too small/thin in some parts, which makes it rattle and eventually the wings (or ears ??) break off from the mount.

Edit: Typo corrected

drisotope

Post by drisotope »

Ran me about 25 bucks shipped for the DogEarsGPS doodad, and the adapter was fabricated by me out of scrap aluminum. It does not wiggle-- at all. Actually super-tight in the OEM Garmin mounts, but I chalk that all up to the DogEars guys. Well made part, and a difficult enough piece to fab by hand that I readily spent the 25 to not have to do it. And it is as close to unbreakable as I think you could get.* So that's aluminum on aluminum, and I even retained the lanyard, which now seems like overkill. The OEM piece has a little front-to-back angle to it, I found-- but so small as to be unnoticeable with this one having no angle at all. My cobbled together model raises the height the Karoo sits at by 4-5mm, I think. I definitely feel more confident about it now.

*I dunno. Probably.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

Wanna make more? :)

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Wow, great work!

You could go into business making these. HH should be embarrassed by how easily you've come up with this.

Barisky

Post by Barisky »

Hi all,

Found a 3D model in the web and started to tweak it to fit Karoo which is a "little" different because it's angled. Here's my first model attempt.

I'll try to 3D print it in ABS during the weekend to see if it fits correctly and make some adjustments since the final idea would be to print it in a 3D metal printer.

I'll make the 3D file (STEP or IGES format) available here later so you guys can also use it.
The attachment mount_foot_1.jpg is no longer available
mount_foot_1.jpg
mount_foot_1.jpg (48.56 KiB) Viewed 5196 times

Link for the 3D model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DBML2H ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Barisky on Tue May 08, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barisky

Post by Barisky »

Second image
mount_foot.jpg
mount_foot.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 5196 times

Orrocle

Post by Orrocle »

Hi drisotope
Am I right in thinking the dogears mount attaches to the karoo mount. So if the karoo mount screw failed they would both fall off?