Mount attachment karoo broken

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
danclo

Mount attachment karoo broken

Post by danclo »

Drove my fourth ride today with the karoo and on a part with cobblestones the lips of the attachment were broken off.
Luckily I had used the lanyard or the karoo had fallen on the cobblestones.
I think those lips are too fragile for the size and weight of the karoo.
Attachments
20180420_163122 (Medium).jpg
20180420_163122 (Medium).jpg (170.75 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
20180420_151951 (Medium).jpg
20180420_151951 (Medium).jpg (179.87 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
20180420_151943 (Medium).jpg
20180420_151943 (Medium).jpg (285.07 KiB) Viewed 6041 times

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Mount attachment karoo broken

Post by Steve »

Ouch! Sorry to see that. But if you email HH at support@hammerhead.io and send them those photos, with an explanation, I'm pretty sure they'll mail you out a new foot.

It's a good design that the foot is separate on the Karoo, because just that can be replaced if this happens, as opposed to needing a whole new unit. Although maybe the foot has been designed not quite strong enough, as you say.

drisotope

Post by drisotope »

One of us needs to get in contact with someone on Shapeways or similar 3D printing site, and get the Karoo foot cloned-- those guys can print one out of ANYTHING.

Those pics have me searching for my lanyard, which I have not been using. :?

nordog

Post by nordog »

My lanyard got caught on my bell hammer and fell out of my hand as I released the lanyard from the Barfly and cracked the shell last night. I will send off for a new replacement shell. Just thought if your Karoo is not firm in the holder then it will break, mine is very tight.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

Those "ears" are a noted weak point of all these devices. I'm on my third Garmin because of broken pieces. HH "might" ding you because you don't appear to be using the supplied Barfly. I would actually like to see a foot made out of metal. Aluminium, maybe? The weak point would then shift to the mount. I'd love to see almost a "pocket" that you could slide the unit into. I'm not sure I trust the lanyard given the weight of the Karoo...

danclo

Post by danclo »

dthempel wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 pm
. HH "might" ding you because you don't appear to be using the supplied Barfly.
the supplied barfly does not fit on an oval handlebar, only on a round

nordog

Post by nordog »

They Don't fit round bars ether they are way to big for all my bars.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

danclo wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:17 pm
the supplied barfly does not fit on an oval handlebar, only on a round
I understand that. My point was that they might "blame" the mount instead of the Karoo.

danclo

Post by danclo »

top service from hammerhead, new part is already on the way!!

nordog

Post by nordog »

Emailed HH and they replied with in a few hours, will be looking into replacing my base plate, he called it.

danclo

Post by danclo »

This is why you better use the lanyard ...

https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... ed-Suicide

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I just received some new lanyards this morning (not HH ones) and have attached one to my Karoo. With all the reports of broken Karoos for various reasons, it'll make me feel a lot happier!

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

The only problem with the design of the removable foot and lanyard mount is that if the foot does fail (as in some photos of it breaking off at the screw), the lanyard goes with it. The Garmin system, while fiddly initially, has a separate attachment point and even if the foot breaks off, the lanyard stays. I guess both could be prone to a catastrophic problem.

My bigger complaint is that the lanyard is too small to get around many handlebars and still reach the mount.

Steve Donovan

Post by Steve Donovan »

I have my lanyard tied to the barfly, but I accept the barfly could fail allowing the whole lot to fall.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

Steve Donovan wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:11 pm
I have my lanyard tied to the barfly, but I accept the barfly could fail allowing the whole lot to fall.
Right. That's my point. Garmins come with stretchy lanyards that'll wrap around just about anything and any bar shape. I'm considering asking my shop to find me a spare one and trying to attach that to the Karoo. I'll admit the Garmin straps are a bit thinner and possibly could snap under the added weight of the Karoo in a serious crash/ejection. Maybe it would slow its fall...? Karoo parachutes? :)

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

After failing to find anything that looked right on Amazon and eBay, I ordered a pack of Cycliq lanyards, since the one that came with my Fly 12 camera was elastic and quite long.

So I was a bit disappointed when the package arrived and although elastic, the lanyards are significantly shorter than the one with my camera. However, it's *just* long enough, given the elasticity. So it's a lot better than no lanyard. Though I do take your point, Doug, about it not helping if the foot breaks off completely.

drisotope

Post by drisotope »

I'm using a big 'ol honkin lanyard that probably came with an old point-n-shoot camera. It's big enough to go over the bottom of the drop and over the brake hood, so that the lanyard is actually around the handlebar itself. I feel reasonably safe with the lanyard in this configuration.

That said, I've been machining small parts for years now, and the notion of making a direct-mount base for the Karoo (getting rid of the quarter-turn feature altogether) has crossed my mind.

krsr

Post by krsr »

danclo wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm
Drove my fourth ride today with the karoo and on a part with cobblestones the lips of the attachment were broken off.
Luckily I had used the lanyard or the karoo had fallen on the cobblestones.
I think those lips are too fragile for the size and weight of the karoo.
I no... You already scratched your cockpit because of the mount and the Karoo... Doesn't fit that well :( Maybe it broke because of too much tension while rotating the Karoo)?

Brad

Post by Brad »

Another problem with the quarter turn attachment : the little "tongue" locking the base plate in the correct position is broken.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Given the ongoing reports about broken Karoo feet, I'm quite concerned (especially since even a lanyard doesn't help if the foot breaks completely).

I hope that HH are looking at this urgently and will make a new, stronger foot that they'll send out to all users.