PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - Don't charge if wet

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Brian

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - Don't charge if wet

Post by Brian »

A few weeks ago, I was caught in a torrential downpour for the last 90 minutes of a ride (the professional weather morons said the rain would hold off until later…) When I arrived home, I dried off my Karoo 2 and even blew into the charging port to try to dry it out. What I did not realize was that there was still moisture deeper in the charging port.

I plugged in the charging cable and walked away. The next day I went to unplug the Karoo. It was almost too hot to touch. I immediately unplugged the cable, which had partially melted from the heat of the Karoo. After letting it cool down, I tried to turn it on. Nothing. It was forever dead…

I sent HH an email and they replied very quickly (as usual) with a list of questions trying to pinpoint the problem. I sent a bunch of pictures and detailed answers. HH determined that there had to be moisture in the charging port resulting in a buildup of charge causing the extreme heat.

To HH’s credit, they sent me a prepaid shipping label to return the fried Karoo and in less than a week, I had my brand new replacement Karoo 2. I couldn’t have been more pleased with how they handled this. It feels that this level of customer service is becoming more and more rare. It certainly has purchased a ton of brand loyalty from me.

The moral of this story is to make sure your charging port is COMPLETELY dry before recharging. Let it rest port end down for a day or so or take a blow dryer to it if you are in a hurry. An alternate moral is don’t ride in the rain.

Brian

p.s. My new Karoo 2 came with a rubber cap to cover the charging port and a spare. My original Karoo 2 came with no port cap.
levy2809vlt

Re: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - Don't charge if wet

Post by levy2809vlt »

You may have to swipe to raise it when the rain starts to fall - or indeed when the sun comes out. A bit inconvenient