3D Printed "Bits"...?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
dthempel
Site Admin

3D Printed "Bits"...?

Post by dthempel »

Has anyone done much experimenting with 3D printed add-ons for their Karoos and/or mounts?

I had a weird GoPro>FunkyConnectionWithRubberbands>Light setup that I didn't like much on my bike. I 3D printed -- in PLA if that's a concern -- a new GoPro mount, rotated 90-degrees because of the Karoo2's weird mounting plate and a mount for my Bontrager Ion 700 rechargeable light. Anyone see any major concerns or worries with this setup? I haven't yet experimented with ABS (as it's toxic while printing?) and I'm not sure what other filaments our Ender 3v2 is capable of handling. The light is pretty old, but a bit pricey. I don't want it flying off, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I had to extend the bolts to reach the built-in nuts, but happened to have some M3's of various lengths that I bought as part of the overall printer project.

Reviews/concerns welcomed before I potentially break both items...

(At least the Karoo2's lanyard is stretchy and will go around the bars, so I'm reasonably sure that'll be "safe" in any kind of catastrophic failure of the mount?)
Attachments
IMG_20210120_153613.jpg
IMG_20210120_153613.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 397 times
IMG_20210120_152818.jpg
IMG_20210120_152818.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 397 times
bikebikebike

Re: 3D Printed "Bits"...?

Post by bikebikebike »

Duggy, do you trust the printer structurally to make a stressed part?
Especially given the failure rate of the old and re-engineered K1 mounts, with their exploration of tougher plastics.
I give hard earned, even if ill got, monies for my farkely ornamentations, and am ever saddened when they leave me for a
sojurn into the paved byways, breaking free from the bonds that hold them,
like a goldfish with wanderlust, hoping to find new worlds or embrace the treads of some kindly passerby.
dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

Like I said, either here or in the HH forums, I'm OK using this for now for an old light that doesn't hold a charge great and isn't a tragedy to replace. I'm not sure I'd trust it with a $300 GoPro. I'm seeing a $20 K-Edge GoPro thing on both the forums and on Amazon. I believe their stuff is machined aluminum, so I'll probably order one. The bigger issue is the adapter/connector for the Bontrager light. The local Trek dealer had no solution for me, which ended up with me using the silly thing in the below picture. The "stress" points on the 3D printed bit is likely the bolt points and the "tab" on the light. Guess I'll see how it goes...
Attachments
IMG_20210120_154115sml.jpg
IMG_20210120_154115sml.jpg (392.75 KiB) Viewed 342 times
zer0db

Post by zer0db »

First post here and you guys are on the topic I came here looking for... I've just received my Karoo2 and ride a Canyon Grail with "that" handlebar setup, so the included mount is hopeless. I've spent the last day or so prototyping an integrated handlebar style mount which I can fasten the Karoo's metal mounting plate onto and have a working test piece printed in PETG which "should" be plenty strong for the computer itself and PETG tends to be pretty resilient to repeated flexing, but I'd have a hard time wanting to cantilever additional hardware like a light or camera onto it. If anything maybe I'll add a mounting hardpoint directly under the screws that secure it to the handlebar so it's not hanging out there on the end of the arm.

I haven't even fitted it to my bike yet as it's dumping rain here but I plan to test it with the lanyard attached and looped over my handlebar before i trust it fully. I'll probably try to print with a higher-durability filament like nylon or polycarbonate also but my printer isn't set up for that right now. Riding gravel or hardpack I definitely want to have as tough a solution as possible.

This is what I've got so far... I was messing around with the open structure before I realized it didn't make any sense so I closed the top in and made it more solid. Under the mount plate it needs to be more open to allow the tab to flex downward. Seems to engage and disengage nicely with the Karoo's base.
IMG_0323 (2).jpeg
IMG_0323 (2).jpeg (157.92 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IMG_0324 (1).jpeg
IMG_0324 (1).jpeg (111.44 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IMG_0324 (1).jpeg
IMG_0324 (1).jpeg (111.44 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IMG_0330 (2).jpeg
IMG_0330 (2).jpeg (156.28 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Attachments
IMG_0331 (1).jpeg
IMG_0331 (1).jpeg (107.52 KiB) Viewed 316 times
dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

I don't know the properties of PETG at all, but what you've got looks pretty good. If you've already up'd your "infill" percent, it seems like it would work? Might add some more beef around the screw holes, but again, I don't know PETG and how it compares to PLA or other options on these printers. Looks like you have a sligher different Ender than ours (and with the bed-level option). :)
zer0db

Post by zer0db »

As far as ultimate strength goes, PETG is stronger but not hugely stronger than PLA. It is, however, more elastic and less brittle. I feel that for a high vibration environment it's likely to hold up a lot better. It's also more resistant to UV and moisture which is a huge plus.

I honestly can't imagine it breaking in normal use as it is now. I did build this with pretty thick perimeters which shore up the holes pretty well. Only did 50% infill but as I said, the walls are thick. PETG tends to get stringy and I haven't quite dialed in my extruder on this printer yet (it's a CR-10 V2, the Ender's big brother) so I was afraid 100% infill could make a mess.
GarethSargeant

Post by GarethSargeant »

These are awesome posts.

I wish I had a 3D printer!

I'm also looking for an aero mount for the K2 mounting system. I am planning on super-gluing (or some kind of contact cementing) the Garmin adapter into my K-Edge aero mount. I'm waiting until February because Karoo said they would be selling adapters separately at that point (just in case anything goes wrong). The advantage (if it works) is that I have the GoPro and Bontrager light bits already :)
Jojan265

Post by Jojan265 »

I adapted the Garmin adapter and fixated it on the bikeholder for my second bike (mountainbike). I've only changed the left side for stability and it works great. It is very stable and the buttons can be used without any problem.I now can pull out the Karoo 2 on the same way as the original Karoo 2 bikeholder. When I'm turning it ccw with the two clicks I'm able to move it out to the front of the bike.
IMG_20210205_090403.jpg
IMG_20210205_090403.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 182 times