Can Garmin Survive ?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
bikebikebike

Can Garmin Survive ?

Post by bikebikebike »

Can Garmin Survive After Smartphones Nearly Killed GPS?
https://youtu.be/Tp7tYrF7HeI
This is a CNBC video on Garmin, but has some insights into the market in general. ~20 min long
Bike head units have a similar trajectory in development and if we look at feature roadmaps in car units
the spill over is conspicuous.

The parallels in sports watch development is also informative, the issues overlap heavily.
Ruggedness, battery life, connectivity
Reliable Simplicity vs Feature creep
Integration

Good vid, not in dpth but in breadth of the discussion
bikebikebike

Re: Can Garmin Survive ?

Post by bikebikebike »

GPLama did a nice review of the Garmin November Software Update. The competition is definitely getting to them.
So where are they going ?
Pushing Connect IQ, indoor training, Set Up and Live Track
Driving features from 1030 down the line.

Working on swallowing the Tacx trainer they bought.
Seeing LiveTrack as a brand bonding tool.
More phone integration.

Hammerhead is going to need to keep those functionalities while refining its advantages
the5krunner

Post by the5krunner »

Garmin has massive stockpiles of cash and significant market share. They sell vast numbers of watches and bike units compared to the competition. they are not going anywhere bad for quite some time yet.

the link you gave https://youtu.be/Tp7tYrF7HeI just touches on some issues and I don't know quite what it is trying to say and wasted 5 minutes of my life skimming through it.

could Hammerhead be a future player?

Sure.

one key to success is apps/applets. only Garmin really has these right now though CIQ.
I can't see any other way to compete on features than apps and I can only see a smartphone-based solution being able to do that on a large scale through android.
bikebikebike

Post by bikebikebike »

I think the YT helped explore the industry wide issues that both face. I read the Garmin stock investor reviews at Morningside and their SEC stuff which , while dense and "corporatese"at times , discusses how their bountiful core business in consumer GPS unraveled, and how they are focusing on "Sports/Fitness". They are huge and even if hamstrung, not dumb, and have the same targets as Hammerhead and Wahoo.
Garmin and Wahoo further have other lines to offset development costs, but also in very competitive areas ( watches, trainers, sensors)

There are ˜14 different bike computer "markets" based on users and their needs.
HH's focus on Android gives it a lead, but it really hasn't seized the advantage solidly,
as evidenced by the lack of capitalizing on an app store and sideloading. Not to mention the Tucker style "roll outs" of the K1 and K2.

Garmin and wahoo have all the same technical problems with stability ,connectivity, power management, managing updates and bug fixes, but lots of mass/momentum.
It feels like a race over cobblestones wearing 4"stiletto heels. Lots of stumbling. Ankles will fail. Or the PC market in 1986.
No Apple has yet emerged, and we know how vulnerable IBM was.