Karoo 2 for mountain biking

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
mtbiker

Karoo 2 for mountain biking

Post by mtbiker »

Hi all,
I'm interested in hearing from any mountain bikers about their experience with the Karoo 2. I'm seriously considering getting a K2 because navigation on Garmin devices, specifically the 830 is terrible on trails.
Thanks in advance.
Brolly33

Re: Karoo 2 for mountain biking

Post by Brolly33 »

I am a road biker, so I cannot answer your off-road question directly, but I do have a refining question for you.

Are you more interested in the turn by turn instructions on the device for a route you created on the dashboard (or RwGPS/Kamoot /Strava)?
For road biking I almost always create my route with internet software at home and then upload my route via the HH dashboard before my ride. This works great and I have had almost no issues with turn by turn on a downloaded route on roads. My cycling group uses both RwGPS and Strava for sharing routes and this is quite nice to have Karoo use those routes with just a couple of clicks.
I can see where offroad trails might be confusing for a device to know when there is a fork in the trail and to notify you to turn left or right as a result. The on-device maps would need to "know" about the trail details.

Or are you more interested in rerouting/calculating a route on the Karoo while out on a ride?
I have only done "in ride re-routes" a couple of times on my Karoo 1. I had to tether my phone in order to get data in order to reroute.
Generating the resulting route was not terribly convenient, and a bit hard on the small screen, but ultimately it was successful and I got a decent new route while on the road.
FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ »

mtbiker wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:59 pm Hi all,
I'm interested in hearing from any mountain bikers about their experience with the Karoo 2. I'm seriously considering getting a K2 because navigation on Garmin devices, specifically the 830 is terrible on trails.
Thanks in advance.
I’m a mountainbiker using a Karoo1, but I don’t see any improvements forthcoming in the Karoo2 map display for MTBers. Many of my local trails are displayed with so little contrast as to make them difficult to see at best. The position arrow is so large that it covers-up complex trail intersections, making life harder that it needs to be. This is especially true when the map is zoomed out. Also, the arrow doesn’t point in the correct direction when stopped,further increasing the confusion at intersections where several trails converge.

In general, the datafields are needlessly large, so they eat-up valuable map space more than they should. Conversely, the map scale is displayed in such a tiny font as to make it virtually unreadable (except, perhaps, when stopped). As the Karoo2 screen is smaller than the Karoo1’s, these issues will be more noticeable in the forthcoming release.

These concerns are all a shame since the Karoo has such a nice screen. I’ve reported these issues to Hammerhead on several occasions, but the only response I’ve gotten is the perfunctory, “I’ll pass this information on to the developers.” Sadly, “the developers” have never addressed any of these concerns. I can’t comment on trail-based navigation directions as I don’t use them.
praxyxia

Post by praxyxia »

FitmanNJ wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:07 pm
Thanks in advance.
I’m a mountainbiker using a Karoo1, but I don’t see any improvements forthcoming in the Karoo2 map display for MTBers. Many of my local trails are displayed with so little contrast as to make them difficult to see at best. The position arrow is so large that it covers-up complex trail intersections, making life harder that it needs to be. This is especially true when the map is zoomed out. Also, the arrow doesn’t point in the correct direction when stopped,further increasing the confusion at intersections where several trails converge.

In general, the datafields are needlessly large, so they eat-up valuable map space more than they should. Conversely, the map scale is displayed in such a tiny font as to make it virtually unreadable (except, perhaps, when stopped). As the Karoo2 screen is smaller than the Karoo1’s, these issues will be more noticeable in the forthcoming release.

These concerns are all a shame since the Karoo has such a nice screen. I’ve reported these issues to Hammerhead on several occasions, but the only response I’ve gotten is the perfunctory, “I’ll pass this information on to the developers.” Sadly, “the developers” have never addressed any of these concerns. I can’t comment on trail-based navigation directions as I don’t use them.
I've been using the Karoo 2 for mountain biking for 2 weeks now and I've been loving it. You can zoom the map in all the way to 100 ft scale which makes seeing intersections really easy. I contacted HH because the route nav and some MTB trails were difficult to tell apart and the maps and nav just got an update to differentiate trails from the route nav which makes it easier to know where to go.

I also contacted HH on the non-updating arrow position and they told me that it is done that way to save battery, which fair enough. Not great, but it is what it is.

WRT to the datafields, the map page can be customized to hold as many as 2 rows of data fields - you can keep the map by itself if you want it to take all of the screen space. I use 1 row with 2 datafields and the map and it works really well for me.

Panning and zooming around is a pleasure, just like a phone, nothing like a Garmin. If you are unsure of whether or not to get a bike computer for MTBing it all depends on what you are looking for, but if you know you want to get a bike computer then I would go with a Karoo 2. Support is really responsive, the unit works really well, and the pace of updates is incredible.
mtbiker

Post by mtbiker »

praxyxia wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 pm
FitmanNJ wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:07 pm
Thanks in advance.

I've been using the Karoo 2 for mountain biking for 2 weeks now and I've been loving it. You can zoom the map in all the way to 100 ft scale which makes seeing intersections really easy. I contacted HH because the route nav and some MTB trails were difficult to tell apart and the maps and nav just got an update to differentiate trails from the route nav which makes it easier to know where to go.

I also contacted HH on the non-updating arrow position and they told me that it is done that way to save battery, which fair enough. Not great, but it is what it is.

WRT to the datafields, the map page can be customized to hold as many as 2 rows of data fields - you can keep the map by itself if you want it to take all of the screen space. I use 1 row with 2 datafields and the map and it works really well for me.

Panning and zooming around is a pleasure, just like a phone, nothing like a Garmin. If you are unsure of whether or not to get a bike computer for MTBing it all depends on what you are looking for, but if you know you want to get a bike computer then I would go with a Karoo 2. Support is really responsive, the unit works really well, and the pace of updates is incredible.
The mtb trails where I bike are constantly changing and are updated rapidly through the trailforks app on my Garmin. How does the Karoo update its maps?
praxyxia

Post by praxyxia »

I think they rely on data from Open Street Maps, but I'm not sure. I've received a map update since I got the unit not that long ago though. So maybe for spontaneous riding the maps might be updated. I usually just create a route and follow that though.
antonyr5

Post by antonyr5 »

Does anyone know if sideloading the trailforks app works for navigation? I've got a Karoo 2 on pre-order which I'd mainly use for navigating whilst road riding, however navigating for mtb use would be really helpful.