What is the major difference between Karoo1 and Karoo2 that you would make you buy the Karoo2 ?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Dobbel

What is the major difference between Karoo1 and Karoo2 that you would make you buy the Karoo2 ?

Post by Dobbel »

For all those people who pre-ordered a Karoo2: I would love to hear other people´s ideas on this, that made you buy the Karoo2

What is the major difference between the two Karoo´s to make you upgrade?

or,..... if you have not been owning a Karoo1 yet

What is the major feature or specification to step in now and buy a Karoo2 ?
Dobbel

Re: What is the major difference between Karoo1 and Karoo2 that you would make you buy the Karoo2 ?

Post by Dobbel »

Are there any people/members of this community that pre-ordered the Karoo2 ? :roll:
Brian

Re: What is the major difference between Karoo1 and Karoo2 that you would make you buy the Karoo2 ?

Post by Brian »

I preordered my Karoo 2 the minute I received the email. I was also a very early owner of the Karoo 1.

There was no single thing that swayed me to upgrade to the K2. It was more of the sum of the changes: smaller size, faster processor, more storage, more advanced Android version (more sideloading options), the beeper, the new mount, the $120 credit for returning the old one.

There is also a part of me that wants to reward Hammerhead for 1) never giving up on the K1 software and 2) continuing to innovate their products. I give them a ton of credit for all the software updates. Many people wrote them off and said they would go broke before the Karoo software was ready for Prime Time, but they hung in there and consistently made the device better. That buys customer loyalty in my book. And continued support.

The $120 credit was also a pretty big move. I know there are some people on this forum who think I could sell my K1 for $200 (or more), but the bike computer industry first of a rebate for the old device is impressive. So for $280 (my wife's monthly horse tack purchases), I get a sweet, powerful, sturdy, cutting edge head unit. In my world, that's a good deal.
Dobbel

Post by Dobbel »

Good story. Nice to read, thanks!

In the meantime the Karoo 2 is already sold-out (again).
Hammerhead is creating their own Karoo-niche-market. Maybe you are able to sell your Karoo 1 for more than 120 dollars this way?!
Steinello

Post by Steinello »

... I also preordered the new Karoo 2 - but I really don´t know if it was the right decision:
- the new device has the smaller screen
- the new device has a battery with less capacity
- the new device seems to have a similar CPU with a reduced clock rate (same core number)

... I think the main problem actual will be to get the needed certifications (e.g. FCC ID)
... I don´t see the device on the way to us this year ;-)
... so I really think about to stay with my order or keep my ´old´ Karoo 1 and want my money back :oops:
Brolly33

Post by Brolly33 »

I have been riding K1 for 10 months (about 270 hours, 4k miles) and have been satisfied with the unit. I ordered the day K2 announce went live. My wife now wants a cycling computer, so the K2 will go on her bike and I will continue to ride the K1 while the battery and platform continue to perform. (giving her the new one scores major points towards my next cool bike toy purchase - probably a power meter)

They do over the air software improvements! This allows the current device users to get the benefits of next year's features without having to buy a new device! A few weird bugs here and there during some updates, but riding on the leading edge of bike computer tech is going to have a few rough edges along the way.

They support BT and ANT+, WiFi and Cellular. Options people! Great device support AND, when the next new device comes out, they can likely program Karoo to support it, again without having to buy new hardware.

I like the open nature of the Karoo OS being built on Android. I have played around a bit with sideloading and that was great fun.

The K1 has wide reports of some issues around Battery, but I have not experienced any on my unit.I have high expectations that K2 will iron out some of the K1 battery drama.

Why K2 over K1, well, since you cannot really buy a K1 since Jan 2020, if you want in, it's gonna be a K2.

And in all honesty, I would not be upgrading my K1 if I did not need another bike head for the wife. The beeper is not enough to drop that kind of cash until the K1 fades away.
Dobbel

Post by Dobbel »

Thanks all for replying. Useful!
Jim Rice

Post by Jim Rice »

For many if not all the reasons above but i've had my Karoo 1 since April 2018 and the battery doesn't last. I can't ride for more than 2 hours w the screen on (I now ride w the screen off to get increased battery life which eliminates the value of device). So in my case i really have no other choice but to buy a new unit. I'm sticking w Hammerhead bc it's a good value plus the $120 discount (I wouldn't sell mine on the open market bc of the battery issue). And yes i've worked w customer support to try and get a replacement unit, replacement battery as well as recalibrating the battery, etc. I just hope they improve the battery life on this next version.