Activity Reports

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
pavel

Activity Reports

Post by pavel »

Hi, I am considering to buy Karoo 2. I use Polar M450 cycling computer with Polar H10 heart rate sensor. I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to use H10 heart rate sensor with Karoo 2?
2. Polar shows good reports and statistics from my rides on the web site flow.polar.com. Does Hammerhead offer similar reports? I know I could use Strava or RideWithGPS, but I would have to pay a monthly fee. Is there any free alternative for reports (graphs) from activities? If not, which one is better, Strava or RideWithGPS? Or something else?
Thank you.
bikebikebike

Re: Activity Reports

Post by bikebikebike »

the GoldenCheetah will take FIT files the Karoo generates without the $$ of Strava Premium.
It is a bit more fiddly, but if you are here, fiddly shouldn't be a big problem. and the price is right

The Polar HRM , esp the H10, has the approval of docs, though the actual advantage isn't profound, if you look at DCRainmaker's actual comparisons.
The new Garmin HRM are doing a lot of extra stuff esp Respiratory rate , by massaging data, on their devices, some watches and the 530,830,1030.
No reason that others can't do the same with added processing. It's about R-R interval changes as a proxy.
HH had not said anything re that measure.
RPE are prolly as useful as a lot of the stuff we gather as metrics and this would offer an assay of RPE and VT.

The H10 should work with the K2, since it works with other Bluetooth and ANT+ compatible devices, but I don't have an understanding of how they handle the stored data, whether you need Polar software to unload it and how it fits into the HH software, though Polar prolly supplies software to play with it.

? "The data can be transferred to Polar Beat, Polar’s free fitness and training app."
I assume the H10 communicates with bike computers since they use the ANT /BT standards, but they throw in the phrase:
" Polar devices work with most modern smartphones. Here are the minimum requirements:
iOS mobile devices with iOS 12 or later
Android mobile devices with Bluetooth 4.0 capability and Android 6 or later ....
There is plenty of variation between how different Android devices handle the technologies used in our products and services, such as Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and different standards and protocols. Because of this, compatibility varies between phone manufacturers, and unfortunately Polar cannot guarantee that all features can be used with all devices."

And they say smart phones and conspicuously don't mention bike computers. The K1 uses Android 6 Marshmellow. K2 ? too?

One of HH and others many struggles are the proprietary nuances of the variety of things they connect to, all of which compound the problem by being moving targets.
We're talking about you , Strava.
pavel

Post by pavel »

Thank you bikebikebike for you reply, I will check the GoldenCheetah.

I have found on HH forum that Karoo does not count calories without a power meter. This is a deal breaker to me. I will not buy Karoo 2 unless HH will change the software to count the calories from heart rate.
bikebikebike

Post by bikebikebike »

Not sure why you need calories live on the bike, unless you are debating whether to stop for a muffin.
Strava gives them to me, for free even.
And there is sideloading the BT glucometers ANdroid apps.
Given all the brain damage involved with features, there is a case for just recording sensors and sorting out after the ride.
It is all based on what data actually causes you to change behavior.