K2 Down Payment Made

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Brian

K2 Down Payment Made

Post by Brian »

I just made my $99 down Payment for the Karoo 2. I'm not sure I'll pull the trigger when the time comes, but it gets me a slot and it's refundable. Hopefully, some more info comes out between now and when I have to make the delivery decision.

The $120 refund for returning the Karoo 1 is, I believe, groundbreaking for the cycling computer industry. They even provide a return shipping label and give you two weeks to return the K1 once the K2 arrives - so no being without a head unit. Not bad...
ANW

Re: K2 Down Payment Made

Post by ANW »

Just to note, the Karoo sells for more than $120 on Ebay. Might be a better idea than returning for a refund, although it is more of a hassle
Psyclist

Post by Psyclist »

ANW wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:28 am Just to note, the Karoo sells for more than $120 on Ebay. Might be a better idea than returning for a refund, although it is more of a hassle
This. With the old model receiving most of the new features, I guess you could get closer to $200 if it's in good condition; and for anyone who sees cycling as an environmentally friendly mode of transport as well as a sport, there's another point: they're not going to eat into their own market by selling cheap second-hand devices so what they're gonna do is shred the units. With a bit of luck they're going to a recycler. Without it, into a toxic waste heap in some poor people's back yard. The trade-in is a terrible deal however you look at it.
Jim Rice

Post by Jim Rice »

I have a Karoo but the battery doesn't last but 2 - 3 hours max (without the screen on, using ANT vs BT, etc.) and i've calibrated the battery many times and have done everything customer support has suggested. The battery isn't replaceable so if you do buy one second had you might end up w a brick in a few months.
Brian

Post by Brian »

If I sell for $200, I have to give eBay $20. So I made all of $60 over trade-in to endure the hassle of eBay. No thanks. And if I sell it to someone, they'll just use it for a few years and trash it as it will be worth nothing by then. So I'm not preventing disposal, just delaying it. I actually have more faith in HH properly disposing of these things than the guy I sell it to.

And assuming they end up in a landfill in some "poor peoples' back yard" is a bit hyperbolic. There are plenty of landfills right here in the US...
Psyclist wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:40 am
ANW wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:28 am Just to note, the Karoo sells for more than $120 on Ebay. Might be a better idea than returning for a refund, although it is more of a hassle
This. With the old model receiving most of the new features, I guess you could get closer to $200 if it's in good condition; and for anyone who sees cycling as an environmentally friendly mode of transport as well as a sport, there's another point: they're not going to eat into their own market by selling cheap second-hand devices so what they're gonna do is shred the units. With a bit of luck they're going to a recycler. Without it, into a toxic waste heap in some poor people's back yard. The trade-in is a terrible deal however you look at it.
Psyclist

Post by Psyclist »

Brian wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 pm If I sell for $200, I have to give eBay $20. So I made all of $60 over trade-in to endure the hassle of eBay. No thanks.
There are free alternatives to eBay and my hourly rate is not high enough to shun $60 tax free for half an hour's work.

And if I sell it to someone, they'll just use it for a few years and trash it as it will be worth nothing by then. So I'm not preventing disposal, just delaying it. I actually have more faith in HH properly disposing of these things than the guy I sell it to.
That's like saying it doesn't matter whether or not you run someone over in the street - yeah, you could pay attention and they'd live a few more years but ultimately you wouldn't prevent their death, just delay it, right?
And what is considered the proper way to dispose of something is very variable - sending plastic to China was considered just fine until what, last year or so? For electronics, it still seems to be: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/am ... l-earthfix
And assuming they end up in a landfill in some "poor peoples' back yard" is a bit hyperbolic. There are plenty of landfills right here in the US...
Sure, neither poor people nor toxic waste heaps are confined to other countries, although I hear in the US the latter are more production than disposal related these years.
Psyclist

Post by Psyclist »

Jim Rice wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:18 pm I have a Karoo but the battery doesn't last but 2 - 3 hours max (without the screen on, using ANT vs BT, etc.) and i've calibrated the battery many times and have done everything customer support has suggested. The battery isn't replaceable so if you do buy one second had you might end up w a brick in a few months.
Yeah that's a point, but stuff like second-hand cellphones still sells.
I haven't found a battery with the right capacity and form factor, but basically it's a standard LiPo so I haven't given up hope - mechanically it's way easier to replace than in most modem phones that are all glued together.
bikebikebike

Post by bikebikebike »

Quote:
"Hammerhead Navigation Inc. reserves the right to verify warranty claims for products purchased through unauthorized dealers or resellers."
Though they have been pretty civilized about support , as a rule, so far
Still, warranty coverage could be an issue , and remember, insect damage is specifically not covered.( See Warranty, Section 2 )
I guess that refers to all bugs.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hmmm... Tossing an old cycling computer in the trash is akin to driving over a human being with a car? I didn’t see that coming. Anyway...

Since we obviously got off on the wrong foot, Psyclist, I’d like to try and make this right. I’ll sell you my Karoo 1 for the $120 (free shipping to US address) instead of trading it in. Then you can flip it for $200, crush your hourly rate AND safeguard the environment for generations to come. A win-win is there ever was one...
Psyclist wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:12 am
Brian wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 pm If I sell for $200, I have to give eBay $20. So I made all of $60 over trade-in to endure the hassle of eBay. No thanks.
There are free alternatives to eBay and my hourly rate is not high enough to shun $60 tax free for half an hour's work.

And if I sell it to someone, they'll just use it for a few years and trash it as it will be worth nothing by then. So I'm not preventing disposal, just delaying it. I actually have more faith in HH properly disposing of these things than the guy I sell it to.
That's like saying it doesn't matter whether or not you run someone over in the street - yeah, you could pay attention and they'd live a few more years but ultimately you wouldn't prevent their death, just delay it, right?
And what is considered the proper way to dispose of something is very variable - sending plastic to China was considered just fine until what, last year or so? For electronics, it still seems to be: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/am ... l-earthfix
Sure, neither poor people nor toxic waste heaps are confined to other countries, although I hear in the US the latter are more production than disposal related these years.
Brolly33

Post by Brolly33 »

Landfill? doubtful.

If I worked for Hammerhead, I would save those working Karoo v1 trade ins and refurbish them to use as replacement units for warranty replacement of existing Karoo v1 units that are still in the field.

I am handing down my old Karoo v1 when my v2 arrives. Should be viable until the batteries no longer hold a charge.
Psyclist

Post by Psyclist »

Brolly33 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:48 pm
Landfill? doubtful.

If I worked for Hammerhead, I would save those working Karoo v1 trade ins and refurbish them to use as replacement units for warranty replacement of existing Karoo v1 units that are still in the field.
When did they stop taking orders for the K1 again? Around November 2019, right? So when the first trade-ins start rolling in from K2 delivered in October 2020, the number of K1 units still in warranty will be close to zero.
I am handing down my old Karoo v1 when my v2 arrives. Should be viable until the batteries no longer hold a charge.
Yup. And with the latest software update that point will be pushed off to the future quite a bit.
I haven't replaced my battery yet because I didn't want to go with less than the original capacity, but 3000 mAh LiPos with the right form factor are just a couple of $$ on AliExpress - once the old one is really run down that's still a good option. Unless you can get 3500 at the same size by then anyway ...
bikebikebike

internals with battery pics

Post by bikebikebike »

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2ADMX-HK1/3742868.pdf

All about them in. the license application, chip and battery pics for the K1
I'll try to find the K2 and add it