Battery won't charge anymore

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Tinoschuijt

Battery won't charge anymore

Post by Tinoschuijt »

Hey hallo and greeting from the Netherlands at first! :)

I'm having a battey issue with my Karoo. The device says that its charging, but the percentage isn't rising. In fact it keeps dropping when the device is turned on.

The strange thing is that I turned on the device yesterday after it wasn't connected to a power supply over night and it shows 99% of battery capacity. This wile the day before the percentage was around 50%

Does anyone has the same expierience and hopefully a solution?

Best regards,
Steinello

Re: Battery won't charge anymore

Post by Steinello »

I would contact the hammerhead support.
... perhaps there is a feature to provide a battery calibration ?
(I can´t find something at the support portal)
... you can also try to do a hardware reset:
https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... your-Karoo

... but first I would try to communicate with the Hammerhead staff over the Support-portal
https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/requests/new

... it would be nice if anybody could find out what battery fits for replacement ;-)
(I think at the moment there is no solution for a ´dead´ battery - Hammerhead doesn´t offer replacement or repair)
bikebikebike

Post by bikebikebike »

The device purports to have its configuration stored with your online account.
So, if you reset , post if you got a full restore, and anything that you lost, if that happens.
The Customer Support folks have been pretty active, and follow up would be great.

The constantly shifting sands of the device and my mind as I tumble from the house,
have led me to back up with MMR. I still haven't lost the love, but I'm turning into a two timer.
Psyclist

Post by Psyclist »

Tinoschuijt wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:05 am Hey hallo and greeting from the Netherlands at first! :)

I'm having a battey issue with my Karoo. The device says that its charging, but the percentage isn't rising. In fact it keeps dropping when the device is turned on.

The strange thing is that I turned on the device yesterday after it wasn't connected to a power supply over night and it shows 99% of battery capacity. This wile the day before the percentage was around 50%

Does anyone has the same expierience and hopefully a solution?

Best regards,
Their battery level calibration has been weird for a long time and this seems to be the latest iteration. I haven't systematically investigated but mine behaved very similar at least once. I'd had battery problems before where the meter would creep down very slowly to about 70%, then to maybe 50% at what I think would be a realistic rate, and then plummet to zero within about 2min. This seems to have been fixed, but now when I connected my power bank while riding, it also kept dropping but finally stayed at 1% and kept working. May be worth opening a case, they can have a FIT file with that behavior from me, too.
bikebikebike

Post by bikebikebike »

Adding to the issues erratic charging
I use a 500 mAmp charger and have seen progressively slower charging from the ~50% post ride levels, to the point of needing 12 + hours.
I checked this with a meter and it is only puling 0.17 amp at 5.03V
Should I be turning off and disconnecting wifi, BT, ant+, GPS and dimming the screen to charge?
or is there another issue?

My iPhone has an app that shows battery drain by use.
Does the Karoo need this as well, or is there a side loaded one?
I already carry a phone battery and use this for the K1 when stopped or not on a charger and it has similar power draw.
And this is not affected by going to another 2 amp wall charger

I am getting the notion that this device needs LiveTrack just so I can find the group that left me while I was trying to get the Karoo into play.

Ed note#1: Interestingly the level of charge changes markedly if one simply unplugs and replugs in the charger. Sometimes.
I have never run out of power on a ride, but it has drained overnight , out of the ride mode, when not powered down.
One more thing to have to watch.
Ed Note #2: now after 12hr of "charging". 53%-> 74% on meter
Unreliable and adding 5-10 min to my preride to fiddle/verify. Goes into the drawer, not on the bike from here.
Now to try and find something that works. Cell phone and Ant+ logger like the 130 or the 530 for a few bucks more?
Went to REI and came away sad at how little they knew about the things. Sigh.