Request: "Upcoming Elevation Graph" for "off-route" course

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
tjdomsalla

Request: "Upcoming Elevation Graph" for "off-route" course

Post by tjdomsalla »

Hi,

I really like the "Upcoming Elevation Graph".
But often I have to take detours due to road constructions or road closures when following a route. Or sometimes I do not even planned a route.
For the first case, when taking an alternate route, the Karoo device shows me a blue (confusing color besides creeks and small brooks …) line - I would like to have the "Upcoming Elevation Graph" also show the the graph of this alternative instead of an "Off Route" message. I guess, it should be possible to update both, the dynamic calculation of the upcoming course (blue line) and its profile.

With best regards,
TJ

dthempel
Site Admin

Re: Request: "Upcoming Elevation Graph" for "off-route" course

Post by dthempel »

Unlikely to happen. The Karoo would have to have no only map data, but also elevation data to pull this off. So full topographic maps. That and the processing power potentially needed to keep calculating that on the fly is probably a non-starter.

A reminder that this is a user forum. If you have specific requests to HH, you should make them via the official forums.

tjdomsalla

Post by tjdomsalla »

dthempel wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 pm
Unlikely to happen. The Karoo would have to have no only map data, but also elevation data to pull this off. So full topographic maps. That and the processing power potentially needed to keep calculating that on the fly is probably a non-starter.
A reminder that this is a user forum. If you have specific requests to HH, you should make them via the official forums.
Hm, I disagree. Even my Garmin Edge 1000 can do this. And the contourline data is not that big.
And, by the way, why do I have a SIM card installed?

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist »

tjdomsalla wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:43 am
dthempel wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 pm
Hm, I disagree. Even my Garmin Edge 1000 can do this. And the contourline data is not that big.
And, by the way, why do I have a SIM card installed?
True, at 8GB flash this is definitely not a storage problem. Osmand offers these elevation maps - the Netherlands is 4.6 MB (OK, who needs "upcoming elevation" there anyway? :P) while something extremely mountainous like Nepal is 630 MB, Montana 480 MB. Pieceacake.