Page 1 of 1

Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:22 am
by Ferranpix
Yes I do!
Strava live segments are only for summit account
My old Garmin don’t needed to ne Summit to enjoy segments. I’m tired to pay for everything, it just sucks.
I’m not the only one who feels like these

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:30 pm
by FitmanNJ
I could be wrong about this as I've only been able to ride a few mountain bike trails since the coronavirus pandemic. But, it "seems" like the trails on the maps are much more faint than they were before the last release (or maybe two?). Right after the recent map update, the trails and the screens in general seemed clear and brilliant. During my last three rides, though, the trails have seemed lower in contrast than before, with some sections of trail completely missing. It's possible that the three places I've ridden recently just have lower than average maps associated with them, but it's been a real struggle recently...especially today. I got confused several times by what I was seeing on the Karoo. It's like it regressed???

Are there any other mountain bikers feeling the same way? I'm thinking of reporting this to Hammerhead, but if nobody else sees this, I'll have to assume that the maps are the same as they've always been.

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:34 pm
by dthempel
If you think the map changed, you may be right and you may be further disappointed in the font change they just made in the ATG. While I'm on the fence about it, many have reported that it's less readable for them.

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 pm
by dthempel
Looks like you're not going to get those at all without a subscription, so it doesn't appear to be HH's fault, the timing of their release was just such that they couldn't *tell* you why it was sub-only:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/strava-l ... scription/

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm
by FitmanNJ
dthempel wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:34 pm
If you think the map changed, you may be right and you may be further disappointed in the font change they just made in the ATG. While I'm on the fence about it, many have reported that it's less readable for them.
My sense that the trails are not as readable as they once were persists. I did another ride today and, again, could barely see the trails on my Karoo screen. Changing the brightness level doesn't help; riding in bright sunlight makes it worse. Oddly, there were a small number of trail segments at this particular park that were moderately darker and therefore more readable (still not great, though).

I checked on OpenStreetMaps.org to see what the difference is between the nearly illegible trails and the ones that appear a little darker. All of the trails were coded as "footpaths," which is a legitimate way of describing these trails (they do permit walking/hiking in addition to mountain biking -- MANY trail systems in my state are coded this way). The darker trails, though, were those that had not been assigned a trail name (e.g., "Red," "Blue," "The Wildlife Trail," etc.); the illegible trails were those with an assigned trail name.

If this isn't fixed somehow, I will have to find a new GPS device. If, as you say, the fonts have undergone their own regression, that will make things even worse. I'll be reporting my feelings and findings directly to Hammerhead. How they seem to make design decisions is exasperating...and often beyond logic! :?

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:25 pm
by ANW
I am not sure how you were able to get Live Segments on your Garmin without a Summit membership. As far as I know, Live Segments was always a Strava Summit feature.

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 pm
by Brad
ANW wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:25 pm
I am not sure how you were able to get Live Segments on your Garmin without a Summit membership. As far as I know, Live Segments was always a Strava Summit feature.
He may refer to the segment functionality of Garmin Connect since it is also possible to create segments there:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... DEDE7.html

The only thing different, if I'm not wrong, is that it's not real live since the ranking and segment results are based on the latest synchronization of the cyclocomputer with Garmin Connect.

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:30 pm
by FitmanNJ
FitmanNJ wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm
dthempel wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:34 pm
If you think the map changed, you may be right and you may be further disappointed in the font change they just made in the ATG. While I'm on the fence about it, many have reported that it's less readable for them.
My sense that the trails are not as readable as they once were persists. I did another ride today and, again, could barely see the trails on my Karoo screen. Changing the brightness level doesn't help; riding in bright sunlight makes it worse. Oddly, there were a small number of trail segments at this particular park that were moderately darker and therefore more readable (still not great, though).

I checked on OpenStreetMaps.org to see what the difference is between the nearly illegible trails and the ones that appear a little darker. All of the trails were coded as "footpaths," which is a legitimate way of describing these trails (they do permit walking/hiking in addition to mountain biking -- MANY trail systems in my state are coded this way). The darker trails, though, were those that had not been assigned a trail name (e.g., "Red," "Blue," "The Wildlife Trail," etc.); the illegible trails were those with an assigned trail name.

If this isn't fixed somehow, I will have to find a new GPS device. If, as you say, the fonts have undergone their own regression, that will make things even worse. I'll be reporting my feelings and findings directly to Hammerhead. How they seem to make design decisions is exasperating...and often beyond logic! :?
Franklin at Hammerhead responded to my customer service note. He said they’re aware of some mapping issues and in the midst of implementing some big improvements in the coming months. As they don’t know what problems they may encounter, it’s hard to tell when that might happen, however.

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 pm
by Ferranpix
ANW wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:25 pm
I am not sure how you were able to get Live Segments on your Garmin without a Summit membership. As far as I know, Live Segments was always a Strava Summit feature.

Well, not at all. I know now that is a summit feature, but it wasn’t in the past.
Anyway, I’m not comming Summit, it was ok when it was free, but not enought to pay for it.
I think Hammerhead will loose customers if the paying way is his way.
We need useful things like Wikilok integration, and not other selfish silly staff...

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:53 pm
by nordog
I not sure of your trail riding but here if you're on a proper single track trail then no device is needed as they are not like roads with many junctions, all I think you need in this case is your Karoo to record your rides unless you are on a wild open moorland or a very large forest type ride. I would be so busy looking twenty feet ahead for my safe ride over any rough or narrow terrain to waste time looking at my Karoo.

Re: Dissapointed about last release

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:19 pm
by goldencore
FitmanNJ wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm
dthempel wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:34 pm
If you think the map changed, you may be right and you may be further disappointed in the font change they just made in the ATG. While I'm on the fence about it, many have reported that it's less readable for them.
My sense that the trails are not as readable as they once were persists. I did another ride today and, again, could barely see the trails on my Karoo screen. Changing the brightness level doesn't help; riding in bright sunlight makes it worse. Oddly, there were a small number of trail segments at this particular park that were moderately darker and therefore more readable (still not great, though).

I checked on OpenStreetMaps.org to see what the difference is between the nearly illegible trails and the ones that appear a little darker. All of the trails were coded as "footpaths," which is a legitimate way of describing these trails (they do permit walking/hiking in addition to mountain biking -- MANY trail systems in my state are coded this way). The darker trails, though, were those that had not been assigned a trail name (e.g., "Red," "Blue," "The Wildlife Trail," etc.); the illegible trails were those with an assigned trail name.

If this isn't fixed somehow, I will have to find a new GPS device. If, as you say, the fonts have undergone their own regression, that will make things even worse. I'll be reporting my feelings and findings directly to Hammerhead. How they seem to make design decisions is exasperating...and often beyond logic! :?
I use openandromaps (https://www.openandromaps.org/en/downloads) on the Karoo. The trails are better visible there and you also have colour coding of the singletrail scale (in regions where people added this info to the openstreetmaps data).