Sold Out?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
krsr

Re: Sold Out?

Post by krsr »

mickeybricks wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 am
I believe the Hammerhead Karoo was a “money grab”. Those who were LUCKY to receive a unit from their inventory...were the test pilots and advertisers of the product. If there was a restock or NEW unit coming...I’m almost positive they would make new customers aware on their website. Be happy you have one...I don’t think anymore are coming. IMO
Sadly this could really be the case.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

mickeybricks wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 am
I believe the Hammerhead Karoo was a “money grab”. Those who were LUCKY to receive a unit from their inventory...were the test pilots and advertisers of the product. If there was a restock or NEW unit coming...I’m almost positive they would make new customers aware on their website. Be happy you have one...I don’t think anymore are coming. IMO
Gonna be some pretty upset investors and VC "angels" if that's the case, but they know what they're getting into with tech startups. It's the customers who would eventually suffer if you are correct, as the units start to fail and the software updates and underlying websites and support disappear...

mickeybricks

Post by mickeybricks »

The Christmas discount should really make you think. I wonder if anyone remembers this “money grab” from a few years ago ( bike stem computer ) https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/spee ... g-computer

They did a press run...sent out a few...got people interested...took MANY orders...then closed up shop. Seems similar with promised updates and sold out stock.

Brian

Post by Brian »

I just received an email from HH on the recent software update. It linked to a nice looking page with very detailed info on the Training Peaks and Map updates. If they are on the verge of failure, they are putting on a pretty good show of not letting on. Which, I suppose, is entirely possible for many reasons.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

mickeybricks wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:22 am
The Christmas discount should really make you think. I wonder if anyone remembers this “money grab” from a few years ago ( bike stem computer ) https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/spee ... g-computer

They did a press run...sent out a few...got people interested...took MANY orders...then closed up shop. Seems similar with promised updates and sold out stock.
Not defending, just saying that this is a completely different situation. Pretty sure everyone that's given HH money has gotten a working unit. It would be different if they weren't saying "Sold Out", were taking money, and had no intention of shipping more.

The main issue I see with any HH collapse would be lack of ongoing software updates and possible/probable reduction in usefulness if/when the backend websites/servers go belly-up. Anyone who has fully unlocked their Karoo -- when you could do that -- would probably be in better shape than the rest. I guess either way I've gotten almost two years of pretty good use out of it. I've had Garmins that didn't survive that long and cost just as much (as I paid back in the day)...

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Brolly33

Post by Brolly33 »

Two new software releases in March. The software team appears to be keeping busy.

mickeybricks

Post by mickeybricks »

dthempel wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:00 pm
mickeybricks wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:22 am

Not defending, just saying that this is a completely different situation. Pretty sure everyone that's given HH money has gotten a working unit. It would be different if they weren't saying "Sold Out", were taking money, and had no intention of shipping more.

The main issue I see with any HH collapse would be lack of ongoing software updates and possible/probable reduction in usefulness if/when the backend websites/servers go belly-up. Anyone who has fully unlocked their Karoo -- when you could do that -- would probably be in better shape than the rest. I guess either way I've gotten almost two years of pretty good use out of it. I've had Garmins that didn't survive that long and cost just as much (as I paid back in the day)...
Have you ever heard of the term “Cognitive dissonance?”
Attachments
6E63BD53-75DB-4785-9EAA-CCEE3863558D.jpeg
6E63BD53-75DB-4785-9EAA-CCEE3863558D.jpeg (141.31 KiB) Viewed 1079 times

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

Not sure the giant graphic was warranted or even applies? Read through this forum. Watch (painfully) my YouTube reviews and updates on the Karoo. I'm not an apologist of fanboy. My point was that you're comparing a money grab where no product was delivered to a product that's happily in many people's hands and used on a daily basis successfully and for which the software continues to be updated. Despite their mostly "radio silence", they're also apparently still in business (see above about software updates and job openings).

The bigger issue here is the timing of everything. They apparently either ran out of product and/or hit a snag in production because that product is made in China. It's a double-whammy of bad timing and a sudden work stoppage compounding availability.

Again... they're not taking money and not delivering. They don't have anything to sell right now (it would seem). Lots of companies are having this problem right now... How many can sustain it?

nordog

Post by nordog »

I agree with dthempel, I for one have had more good times with my Karoo than bad times, they seem to be a great bunch of chaps. As an old git they have been more than helpful with the problems that I have had, knowing what I know now I think I would go and buy the next unit if they have the new Karoo.

Brian

Post by Brian »

I second Nordog’s agreement. I ordered and received a pretty impressive piece of hardware. Granted, the turn-by-turn direction capability was terrible for a good while, but I simply side loaded Komoot and was off to the races. In over two years, my device has never shutdown unexpectedly or had any type of hardware failure to speak of. And recent software updates have taken the built in turn-by-turn to an amazing level. My riding buddy’s Garmin pales in comparison.

I paid a reasonable price for, received and am enjoying a solid piece of cycling equipment. So I’m also not sure what the obnoxious and misplaced graphic is for. Disgruntled former HH employee, perhaps???

GarethSargeant

Post by GarethSargeant »

Hammerhead said yesterday on Instagram "be patient an announcement is coming soon".

Also they all appear to still be at work.

KM1.8T

Post by KM1.8T »

Now we know Karoo2 coming soon. Wonder if there will be trade in options!?

heilewelt1110

Post by heilewelt1110 »

Ok, so the whole talk about "money grab" seems to be a bit exaggerated now. I got my Karoo last winter and even though I haven't had the chance to use it as much just yet, I was thrilled to see how much better it worked compared to my previous Garmins (although I admit that I came to the Karoo when the system was working fairly well already). Even in the time I had it lying around and couldn't ride I received at least 3 updates (and there were maybe a total of 4 updates for the Garmin in years and I haven't been contacted about it but had to check on their website). I do agree that the (server) infrastructure needs to be available in order for it to fully function but I don't see why that would go down. Now that the Karoo 2 has been announced it seems even less of an issue.

Concerning the Karoo 2 – yeah, I would like to have a smaller unit and maybe some sound notification. But I'm very happy with the Karoo 1 the way it is and as long as it keeps being updated – and it does seems like it, I see no need to upgrade.

Oh and concerning a discount for the Karoo, of course nothing is official, but Hammerhead replied to similar question via Instagram – albeit in a certainly vague manner.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-23 um 08.11.58.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-23 um 08.11.58.png (77.8 KiB) Viewed 876 times