Sold Out?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
krsr

Re: Sold Out?

Post by krsr »

mickeybricks wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 am
I believe the Hammerhead Karoo was a “money grab”. Those who were LUCKY to receive a unit from their inventory...were the test pilots and advertisers of the product. If there was a restock or NEW unit coming...I’m almost positive they would make new customers aware on their website. Be happy you have one...I don’t think anymore are coming. IMO
Sadly this could really be the case.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

mickeybricks wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 am
I believe the Hammerhead Karoo was a “money grab”. Those who were LUCKY to receive a unit from their inventory...were the test pilots and advertisers of the product. If there was a restock or NEW unit coming...I’m almost positive they would make new customers aware on their website. Be happy you have one...I don’t think anymore are coming. IMO
Gonna be some pretty upset investors and VC "angels" if that's the case, but they know what they're getting into with tech startups. It's the customers who would eventually suffer if you are correct, as the units start to fail and the software updates and underlying websites and support disappear...

mickeybricks

Post by mickeybricks »

The Christmas discount should really make you think. I wonder if anyone remembers this “money grab” from a few years ago ( bike stem computer ) https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/spee ... g-computer

They did a press run...sent out a few...got people interested...took MANY orders...then closed up shop. Seems similar with promised updates and sold out stock.

Brian

Post by Brian »

I just received an email from HH on the recent software update. It linked to a nice looking page with very detailed info on the Training Peaks and Map updates. If they are on the verge of failure, they are putting on a pretty good show of not letting on. Which, I suppose, is entirely possible for many reasons.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

mickeybricks wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:22 am
The Christmas discount should really make you think. I wonder if anyone remembers this “money grab” from a few years ago ( bike stem computer ) https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/spee ... g-computer

They did a press run...sent out a few...got people interested...took MANY orders...then closed up shop. Seems similar with promised updates and sold out stock.
Not defending, just saying that this is a completely different situation. Pretty sure everyone that's given HH money has gotten a working unit. It would be different if they weren't saying "Sold Out", were taking money, and had no intention of shipping more.

The main issue I see with any HH collapse would be lack of ongoing software updates and possible/probable reduction in usefulness if/when the backend websites/servers go belly-up. Anyone who has fully unlocked their Karoo -- when you could do that -- would probably be in better shape than the rest. I guess either way I've gotten almost two years of pretty good use out of it. I've had Garmins that didn't survive that long and cost just as much (as I paid back in the day)...