Sold Out?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
acmedragon337

Sold Out?

Post by acmedragon337 »

Anyone else notice that the Karoo is sold out on their website? I have an uncomfortable feeling about that for the following reason:

When I purchased my Karoo last October 2019, I enquired about showcasing the Karoo inside my Cafe (Bike-Friendly). I was pretty jazzed about the device and I thought it might be a great collaboration with Hammerhead. The Sales team seemed to think it was a good idea as well and they offered to send me a demo model for my customers to try out and a "dummy" model for inside the cafe to show. They were so quick to respond with a resounding "YES", I thought this was legit. Since then, I have not received either demo or "dummy" model of the Karoo for the cafe. I made numerous enquiries via email back to the original Hammerhead team (Andrew Scott / Jon Morgan / Harold Dalton) that responded t me, but nobody has responded or received a bounce-back message. Maybe they changed their mind? Maybe they're heading in a new direction? I'm worried that they have sent me a demo model, it's lost in the mail and I'm going to get a bill for it. Either way, they could let me know is all I ask. I love the device and have had no issues since I bought it. I'm a huge supporter of Karoo and want to promote it to my friends, but their lack of response concerns me.

So back to my concerns that the Karoo is now sold out on their website. Are they really sold out? Are they producing more? Or worse, they are folding? It just seems odd to me that they are sold out. Is anyone else feeling the same way or am I simply a Doomsday Theorist? :o

dbareis

Re: Sold Out?

Post by dbareis »

My guess: A new model with speaker

krsr

Post by krsr »

Doesn't look good!

On Twitter they say, that they don't know, when Karoo will be available again?!

KM1.8T

Post by KM1.8T »

Interesting since they just did a software update. Maybe something to do with China right now. We will probably see this impact us in ways we would not expect.

Harold

Post by Harold »

Hey

So first, sorry that you never heard back from the team. I don’t know how it slipped through the cracks, but I know we were getting a lot of similar enquiries around that time.

With regard to being sold out: Karoo was very popular in 2019, particularly in the second half of the year. On top of that, we got a huge number of sales with our big Black Friday deal. By the time Christmas was over, we were almost completely wiped out of stock. We had a huge wave of riders joining our platform at the end of the year.

That’s great news for existing Karoo users (Karoo is community-led, and our community grew massively in 2019), but obviously less so for anybody wanting to buy one right now.

The team is focused on continuing to add updates to Karoo’s software so that our users' experience in the saddle is on the leading edge of cycling technology. There’s a lot of really cool stuff planned for 2020.

krsr

Post by krsr »

Thx for the reply, but no word about the Karoo at all.

Looks like there is a new product coming if I read 'between' the lines...

krsr

Post by krsr »

Does anyone know, where (within EU) to get a Karoo - Website is still "sould out"

Nick87

Post by Nick87 »

Someone from a Dutch Karoo FB group mailed them to ask when the Karoo would be back in stock.

The answer: ‘because we cannot be sure at this time when, or if, we will be able to re-stock the Karoo, please stay tuned to our social media pages for live updates.’

Hmm...should we be worried?

Dobbel

Post by Dobbel »

Corona?

krsr

Post by krsr »

Even if corona the Karoo must be back in stock sometime.

Looks like a new one is coming or it’s over for hammerhead?!

Nick87

Post by Nick87 »

Difficult to imagine that they've burned the 4 million $ seed investment from the beginning of 2019.
V2, maybe but I don't think so. Seems a bit too soon.
Probably manufacturing issues or something. Hopefully solved soon.
The software updates are still coming, if there would really be an issue you would assume that they would stop releasing those.

krsr

Post by krsr »

Would be nice to get a real feedback from their side.

nordog

Post by nordog »

Even the giant Google is having troubles with their new Google Nest Aware app with the date of new release being early 2020 customers like me are not happy.
I for one hope that HH will announce the new improved Karoo soon.

dbareis

Post by dbareis »

Whatever the reasons were before, the coronavirus is going to make this hard for all manufacturers of everything.

krsr

Post by krsr »

Couldn't be that hard to write the truth with 1-2 sentences... Isn't it?

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

krsr wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:57 pm
Couldn't be that hard to write the truth with 1-2 sentences... Isn't it?
I would tend to agree, except that if there is a new unit forthcoming, they probably can't say as investors and others might get torque'd off. "Something" is clearly happening. One thing is maybe good (although not for current owners) for investors. One thing might be OK for existing users (more units and more reason to keep updating software). The last option is obviously terrible, as it means they're going belly-up. While not usually the optimist, I'm thinking it's not the last one...

EDIT: I guess there's also the supply constraint problem, which is also not good, for HH or the folks affected in China...

krsr

Post by krsr »

Would be great if there will be a Karoo V2 ;-)

(NOTE: My apologies. It would seem I edited your post instead of replying with a "quote". I can't find your original, but I think this is it. Again... my apologies - Doug)

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

My guess is Karoo 1.1 rather than 2.0, but we'll see ...

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel »

krsr wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:05 am
Would be great if there will be a Karoo V2 ;-)
I'd only be interested in v1.1 or v2.0 if there was a significant trade-in or upgrade program. Assuming my battery holds up and there are no major faults with my unit, I don't really need/want to spend another $300 right now...

mickeybricks

Post by mickeybricks »

I believe the Hammerhead Karoo was a “money grab”. Those who were LUCKY to receive a unit from their inventory...were the test pilots and advertisers of the product. If there was a restock or NEW unit coming...I’m almost positive they would make new customers aware on their website. Be happy you have one...I don’t think anymore are coming. IMO