Side Loading for Dummies

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
Pritchk

Side Loading for Dummies

Post by Pritchk »

Sorry to ask this but not beoing an Android expert (or in fact any sort of tecchie geek!) I'm really struggling to get started with side loading.

I've activated Developer Mode and ticked all the debugging option
I've downloaded SDK Developer Tools
I've downloaded APK Pure
I then open a command prompt in the folder with the apk in and put "e. In the commandprompt type the following “adb install apkpure.apk” and press enter. "
And I get "'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

AAGGHHH!!!! Can anyone help please??

PapaSchlumpf

Re: Side Loading for Dummies

Post by PapaSchlumpf »

You could download adbLink (available for Windows and OSX) and install. http://www.jocala.com/
1. Connect your Karoo(switched on) to the USB port of your PC and start adbLink.
2. Click new
3. In the device record window, you type in a description "Karoo" and a dummy IP like 1.1.1.1 in the "Address" field and mark the check box at the bottom named "USB Connection" and click save.
4. The Karoo should appear automatically in the list of connected devices with a cryptic number.
If you reach point 4 successfully, you've done the hardest part :-)
You can now click on Install APK and select your downloaded APK Pure file and wait. The installation will take 1-2min.
Once installed successfully the APK Pure icon should appear next to the settings icon on your Karoo.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Pritchk wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:46 pm
I've activated Developer Mode and ticked all the debugging option
I've downloaded SDK Developer Tools
I've downloaded APK Pure
I then open a command prompt in the folder with the apk in and put "e. In the commandprompt type the following “adb install apkpure.apk” and press enter. "
And I get "'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
The problem is simply your command-line path. I.e. when you type "adb" it can't find it, since it's not in one of the default folders that it looks for executables.

You can either put in the full path to the adb command, or a simpler option would be to add it to the path variable. You'll need to figure out what folder adb is in and then (assuming you're running Windows 10) use the search function to search for "path" and it will suggest that you want to edit the environment variables. Click on this option in the list of results, and then a window should pop up. Click on the "Environment Variables" button. Then select "Path" from the list and press Edit (you can choose from either editing this just for your user or for everyone on the machine I suggest selecting it from the bottom list, the System Variables). Then click on "New" and add the full pathname of the folder with adb in - e.g. something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\platform-tools" - but note that this is just where it is on my system and yours might be somewhere different.

Row Jimmy

Post by Row Jimmy »

@PapaSchlumpf Thank you for the adbLink tip. I am using a Mac and I couldn't figure out how to install apkPure using the Android SDK "platform-tools." adbLink was super easy. Thank you!